Pilot Log File

Duckair

Hi,

Can anyone help please? My installation of FSX won't run, keeps freezing at the splash screen. I've tried rolling back to a restore point and repairing the installation but neither of them worked. Looks like I'll have to do an uninstall/install to get it working again.

Before I do the uninstall I'd like to try to rescue my pilot log file with all the flights I done recorded in it. Please can anyone tell me what it is called and where it is located? Anyone had any experience of this happening and did they manage to get the old file recognised in the new installation?

Very many thanks for your help!

Guest Hodge001

Hi

I have also heard, but not experienced the problem with the Logbook file shutting down / locking up FSX, although I have learned not to delete either the next to last or the last entry in the logbook, FSX on occasion does not like it.

The file is called Logbook.bin, and I located in the same Flight Simulator X Files Folder that the stored flightplans are located, which on XP is

Drive Letter\Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents\ Flight Simulator X Files

The GrantedRewards.bin file which is the record of all you achievements and mission goals is located in the same folder as the FSX.cfg file, which again for XP is

Drive Letter\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

If deleting the Logbook enables FSX to start, then I would be pessimistic about being able to return the logbook file, you can get various freeware programs that with varying degrees of success will attempt to correct any errors in the logbook file, this may enable you to keep your entries.

I hope it helps

Jim Hodkinson

Thanks for the tips!

Jim and Simon, I tried your advice and it got a bit further loading before it gave up and wanted to go and complain to Uncle Microsoft so they nearly worked - which is a lot further than I got yesterday.

I see the point about deleting entries and it explains my position very nicely. I started a flight between two Canadian airports at low level in the Beaver. About half way through I got called away and instead of pausing the flight I let it run. When I got back about an hour later the aircraft had crashed and was trying to take offs from the airport of origin and crashing into the trees at the side of the runway. I check the pilot log later in the day and noticed I'd got about 30 more flights that I had before. Each of the crashes and automatic restarts had been recorded as a flight. Like a good, honest, little pilot I delete all the ones the system had added, and it was there I believe I killed my system!!!!

I've got an old copy of Flight Keeper 2 which I didn't install into this system so it looks like I'll be using that in future and Uncle Microsoft can go write a better flight logger, which is equally as bad as his flight planner <_<

Again, very many thanks for the help. It really is greatly appreciated