Preview: VFR Germany 3 - South

Sasa

Germany's most popular VFR scenery is to be continued!

After covering Northern and Western Germany, we head to an area most of you have been waiting for! The South, that means well-known Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg (for those of you not familiar with the area: That is where those expensive cars come from and crazy people enjoy drinking incredible amounts of beer on the Oktoberfest). Discover Munich, do some mountain flying over the Bavarian Alps or fly from Regensburg to the fairy tale castle of Neuschwanstein.

The following images are preview screenshots of the alpine region only! We are still working on placing millions of 3D objects as in the other parts.

post-233-1231941243_thumb.jpg

post-233-1231941251_thumb.jpg

post-233-1231941261_thumb.jpg

post-233-1231941270_thumb.jpg

post-233-1231941280_thumb.jpg

Hi Sascha,

the detail and colors look great but some of the images show a spatial mismatch between the placement of the textures and the terrain mesh (e.g., note how texture shadows are extending over the ridge tops). I assume the images were taken with the default terrain? Perhaps try using one of the higher resolution add-on meshes to check whether it's just the lack of detail in the default terrain or a placement issue with your textures.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Sascha,

I eagerly anticipate the release of VFR Germany 3!

I own Switzerland Professional X from Flylogic and Austria Professional X from Flugwerk. It would be great, if VFR Germany 3 would seamlessly connect to these sceneries. Do you know anything about this?

Regards,

Uwe.

It looks lovely, and is also my favorite part of Germany - I've lived a half year in Munich many many moons ago, was an intern in the Deutsches Museum. One thing however that I loved about South Germany is the abundance of snow in winter... the Oktoberfest even starts already in September due to the possibility of snow in October. But if I recall correctly snow is not part of VFR packages? Or would it be possible to include that here.

the detail and colors look great but some of the images show a spatial mismatch between the placement of the textures and the terrain mesh (e.g., note how texture shadows are extending over the ridge tops). I assume the images were taken with the default terrain? Perhaps try using one of the higher resolution add-on meshes to check whether it's just the lack of detail in the default terrain or a placement issue with your textures.

Hi Holger. Right indeed. We just had more or less the same comment in the German forum:

Yes, it is true that VFR Germany doesn't bring its own mesh terrain. If builds up on the default mesh terrain, which the average user won't notice because most of Germany isn't as mountainous as the Alps. Even in the Black Forrest you won't see much difference to high-res mesh terrains. Some SRTM terrains like MyWorld enhance that all a bit, but the only one that is a real booster in the Alps (and we will certainly recommend) is the 5 meter res mesh from FS Dreamscapes. The attached comparison screens of Germany's highest mountain in the Alps (Zugspitze) speak themselves...

Bests,

Sascha

post-233-1227704318_thumb.jpg

Very, nice...

...which leads me to the question - do you know, if the different mesh addons are calibrated in the same way? The textures and the FS Dreamscape mesh look both great, but the calibration seems slightly different than the textures in your picture. The snow is on the steep parts and the rock on the ridge. I think the snow should be on the flat areas and the rock on the steep.

I think the snow should be on the flat areas and the rock on the steep.

Nope. The winter snow only remains in the more shadowy parts, not on the ridges, in summer. No matter if steep or flat.

Bests,

Sascha

Hi Sascha,

that looks a lot better; nice promo for Dean's mesh add-ons based on the new Intermap data!

As you know the problem with Shuttle Radar data mesh, like default or MyWorld, is that they all have interpolated areas where data are missing in the source files, and those tend to be north faces of steep mountains and snowy areas (Intermap data don't have those problems but they require a commercial licence, which explains the price tag of Dean's mesh files). However, I believe that both FSGenesis and FSGlobal use the public domain deFerranti data for the Alps, which are "hand made" using sources other than Shuttle Radar. I'm also going to re-issue my FS9 deFerranti Alps mesh for FSX so there will be a freeware alternative as well. Anyway, good to hear that the terrain mesh is the culprit in your screenshots.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Sascha,

I eagerly anticipate the release of VFR Germany 3!

I own Switzerland Professional X from Flylogic and Austria Professional X from Flugwerk. It would be great, if VFR Germany 3 would seamlessly connect to these sceneries. Do you know anything about this?

Regards,

Uwe.

You should add to your collection France Alpes du nord / Sud by France VFR & associated airports by LLHINFO & the freeware val d aosta..

Coming back to the boundary issues, I also would like also to see this compatible with Swiss CH Pro and the upcoming 'Alsace' from France VFR.

http://www.francevfr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3402

Is it planned to include EDSB or/and EDTL also into this scenery?

Nope. They will be there, aligned to the aerial image, but not detailed.

Detailed German airports only come with the German Airports, Mega Airports and German Airfields. VFR Germany is, as the name says, a VFR scenery only.

Bests,

Sascha

• 1 month later...
Here's a bunch of new screenshots:...

Mr. Sasa,

Thank you; I have to be honest; I was disappointed in the quality of the first screenshots in your post and gave up on this product initially. I'm spoiled :rolleyes: , being use to seeing the real thing and an "almost real look" from many of Aerosoft's/Flight1's and other addon's in FSX.

However, with this new update/posting, I want to give this product another chance. Please don't consider this a bash but, an opinion - You see I spent a lot of time and money to get a really nice FTD at home and want to see the scenery, on those (x3) 47" LCD of mine, look as good as when I look out the windows (at what God made) of the aircraft cockpits I fly; that's all - nothing too demanding :P:lol::P:lol::P:lol::D

Thank you. :)

• Upvote 1

Sascha says "go" to these. I do like the promotional shots, but I am a "user" and I have loads of pretty addons - especially ones that give real world weather. Flying over Germany for real you don't often get to see for hundreds of miles. Saschas shots are drop-dead gorgeous to sell the addon, so all I am adding here is some more sizzle. Enjoy the pictures even if they aren't up to Nick C's qualities.

Germany's bottom right hand corner... Around Königssee:

post-2246-1232127296_thumb.jpg post-2246-1232127307_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1232127328_thumb.jpg post-2246-1232127339_thumb.jpg

Heading towards Füssen

post-2246-1232127355_thumb.jpg

Northern Bavaria

post-2246-1232127373_thumb.jpg post-2246-1232127386_thumb.jpg

Down the Rhine valley / lowlands towards Karlsruhe

post-2246-1232127401_thumb.jpg

Schwäbisch Hall and the Comburg convent / monastery / castle

post-2246-1232127414_thumb.jpg

Around the Kempten area:

post-2246-1232127428_thumb.jpg

Oh - and before you ask - I deliberately too "stand-off" images to "feel" the countryside and not count the autogens... ;) There is a lot of it sown there if you want to drop down amongst the bushes. There's even a building on the texture where my apartment block is.

And I have FS Genesis meshes installed as well.

• Aerosoft
Oh - and before you ask - I deliberately too "stand-off" images to "feel" the countryside and not count the autogens... ;) There is a lot of it sown there if you want to drop down amongst the bushes. There's even a building on the texture where my apartment block is.

And I have FS Genesis meshes installed as well.

Darned this one really works for me... The gray colors are near perfect.

post-43-1232134417_thumb.jpg

This is looking really, really good!

I may live in SA but I have spent a great deal of time in southern Bavaria over the years and so far am very impressed with what I see here. Having said that I noticed that some of the original Alpine high peak screenshots were removed - I am guessing this is because more work needs to be done there? I really hope so as these high peak areas was the one thing that was looking not so great on the original screenshots...

Two questions if I may:

Does anyone on the VFR Germany Dev team have FSDreamscapes 5m mesh for Germany installed? If so, any comments? I presume that few of the dev team are using FSX default (76m) mesh for the Alps?! FSGlobal2008/FSGenesis both have 19m mesh for the Alps...

Any chance to 3D model parts of the Zugspitizbahn? i.e. the top and bottom stations and the cable towers? That would be really cool! :rolleyes:

Konrad