The art of starting the engine...

ManuelL

Brings back memories of 3 weeks ago when I turn up to the airfield, pull the aeroplane out, strap in, turn the starter and.....nothing. So, I ask for a swing and my father duly obliges (what are parents for eh?). Starts on the first swing, runs for 5-6 seconds and dies. What the?! I'd pressurised the [fuel] system as normal when I'd started the first time, but in the 2-3 minutes it took between discovering I had a flat battery and convincing my father to give me a swing the pressure had completely gone. Big mistake! Took a scene not unlike this one to get going again. The engine was like, 'look I gave you a chance, and you blew it. Now you're going to suffer'.

Thanks for the post - lovely aeroplane.

I'll bet he regrets not getting the "optional electric start" package...

Just kidding -

Reminds of me an old .5 hp Johnson outboard motor my grandfather had on the back of a small fishing skiff...one day he decided to take me out fishing.

It just wouldn't start, no matter how many times he pulled on it...so, my grandfather, being an impatient man, calmly unscrewed the fasteners and threw it off the back of the boat into the lake. Told me to grab an oar and paddle back to the dock.

Problem solved. :lol: