Upgrading my System

Barnesy2006

I downloaded and tested Stockholm in FSX the other day but i only managed to get 10fps at best. Granted i did have most sliders at max, but i don't see the point in running FS9/FSX at only half its full potential. This is the first time i have downloaded an add-on scenery for FSX as i see potential for it and the fact that some developers will eventually stop producing FS9 products. My problem was though that i was only getting 10fps and at this speed i won't make the switch. My current system consists of a AMD Phenem 9600, 2x 2GB OCZ RAM, 2x Sapphire 3870, Gigabyte MA790FX-DQ6 motherboard, Tagem 580w PSU. I was thinking of changing my 2 graphic cards for a single ATI 4870 x2. Would this upgrade make much difference to the framerates as i have also read that FSX requires alot of power from the CPU and if this is the case what kind of upgrades would you suggest? I like to fly complex airliners such as the PMDG, Level-d to sceneries such as Madrid, JFK with active sky and lots of AI. To be able to run all this at an exceptable FPS all your suggestions and experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve.

It's all about $$$ If you can spend it as much as needed, no problemo. But if you have limited amount of money, you'll just have to put those settings more to the left. but do have a look in here, it's the aerosoft's advice what kind of computer you can get with under 1000 € Aerosoft Advise: What Hardware To Buy, October 2008

Here is computer that this youtube user owns. He has a video where he flies in the default extra and get's over 100 fps! RStickMan22

I have also seen one video where that same extra is being flyed over Manhattan with all settings ultra high or over, with average of 40 fps  :blink:

I have around £500 to spend excluding money that i can get for selling the parts i will need to change.

100fps would be nice but unfortunatley i'm not linked up to the local power station to run it :lol:

Regards

Steve