Madeira X Visual Aids Missing

maDBoos

Hello Jean-Jacques,

I believe you may be blaming people that are not at fault.

Its FSX that wont allow this to happen under current conditions.

If the developer could do it then I expect they would have done.

Theres a lot of things that cant be done in the world but that should'nt stop folks from enjoying what can be done with it.

I suspect that the default airport didn't have running lights either but the rendition of the airport is now greatly enhanced.

I'm sorry that you feel this way and you can unsubscribe by unchecking the box in your account at the shop.

You too have a wonderful Christmas and a safe New Year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you may be blaming people that are not at fault.

Shaun, I am not blaming the developers. Now that I know that it could not be done because a limitation of FSX, I fully accept.

I am blaming Aerosoft for not having telling the truth in the product presentation page. Do you really want to make me believe that when I read on the product page quote "Approaching runway 05 you follow a set of 'lead-in' landing lights" unquote I should have read "but because of FSX limitations we could not implement them"? When I say that I have been trapped, yes I have been trapped. To me, the excellence of the scenery is not the only reason why I have ordered Madeira, I was also looking at flying realistic visual approaches to runway 05, like I could do it in FS9 with Wonderful Madeira.

Today I read an interview of Mathijs Kok in the french magazine PC-Simulation. It his interview he said (and I am translating from french into english) "First, I believe that customers would accept almost anything if our approach is honnest and open-minded" And I can agree with that. But do you really think that advertising "Approaching runway 05 you follow a set of 'lead-in' landing lights", while those lights do not function as they should, could be qualified as a "honnest" approach? And NO, I am not looking at getting a refund (although, being retired with a fixed income, I had thought about that possibility when I first posted). But having been trapped once, I will not be able to purchase from Aerosoft in full confidence anymore. This is why I was asking you to take me out of your advertising mailing list.

Best regards,

Jean-Jacques

Hello Folks,

I spoke to Mathijs regarding the Lead In lights and he told me the following.

Apparently in FSX there is no way to get sequenced lights as in the FS2004 version as it cannot be done.

However if they were to use the old FS2004 coding to get it to work it would slow the scenery down to a crawl.

So I'm afraid we are stuck with the way it is now util such time as it becomes possible to do this.

I've been puzzled by this notion that it simply cannot be done ever since the issue first arose, because I occasionally use a default FSX airport that has sequentially flashing lead in lights. Unless I misunderstand the concept entirely, it actually can be done natively in FSX.

Try a dusk approach in clear weather in the default Cessna 172 to Runway 08 at KCLM, Fairchild International in Port Angeles, Washington. I just did so to confirm my recollection and was warmly greeted by the sequentially flashing lead in lights. Admittedly, the sequence is a straight line rather than a curve, and perhaps that makes all the difference. If that is of no importance, however, then perhaps it is also possible for it to be implemented for Madeira X. On the other hand, Mathijs may know of some other barrier to implementing this feature that has not been mentioned yet.

-Doug

Straight in running lights are part of the default runways. They are not 'placed' by the developers. So it's really something different. Sorry.

Hi Mathijs. Is there any chance of looking at a compromise by using the flashing lead-in lights for the straight part of the lead-in lights, coupled to much brighter static lights for the curved part.

This approach would make this airport so much more useable, though judging by the lack of complaints over this issue, maybe it's not something that the majority care about :(

Cheers.

Paul

Dear Shaun and Mathijs,

With regard to the problem with curved lead in lights and FSX, I have the Kai Tak airport add on from another company(initials F.T.) and they are able to implement FLASHING and CURVED lead in lights in FSX for this airport so I do not think it is true that "developers" cannot execute this feature in FSX. Clearly this other company has done it so I do not think it is fair to blame FSX's internal structure/limitations for Madeira X's lead in curved lights not working. What say you?

Eagerly awaiting your response

Alex

Dear Shaun,

I appreciate what you are saying, I really do. My only point is that it is sometimes better to admit that "we have not figured it out yet" instead of laying the blame squarely at the feet of the the internals of FSX. If I am not wrong what I have read on this thread simply leads me to believe that what your customers(I include myself in that category) want most from you all at Aerosoft is a little bit of honesty when we/they have a concern regarding one of your products. Another point is that perhaps there could be some enquries made to that other company that has indeed figured out the way to implement the curved and flashing lights and some sort of arrangement made to secure a transfer of know how/technique that would benefit Aerosoft and said company to the satisfaction of all involved. In any case I appreciate your response and can only hope that Aerosoft will take some of what I have said here to heart. After all as they say in business, we are nothing without our customers. All the best.

Warm regards,

Alex :rolleyes:

Hello Alex,

Some devs will code stuff that works but is not within the bounds of SDKs.

Some devs work magic tricks but wont share what they have done with other devs either.

I wasn't going to continue this Shaun (and it's a shame the actual developer doesn't want to join in), but citing the bounds of the SDK is a pretty cheap excuse.

The SDK says the maximum texture allowed is 1024, yet 2048 and 4096 work and give very, very nice results.

The SDK says that textures should always use maximum mipmaps yet almost nobody uses them.

The SDK doesn't say a lot of things.

I don't mean any offence at all Shaun, but the fact is that this approach requires the curved lights to be there (and be reasonably easy to find) and not including them is simply wrong......I mean, imagine the Kai Tak product not including the lights and giving the excuse that they can't be done using the SDK!

Paul

I wasn't going to continue this Shaun (and it's a shame the actual developer doesn't want to join in), but citing the bounds of the SDK is a pretty cheap excuse.

The SDK says the maximum texture allowed is 1024, yet 2048 and 4096 work and give very, very nice results.

The SDK says that textures should always use maximum mipmaps yet almost nobody uses them.

The SDK doesn't say a lot of things.

I don't mean any offence at all Shaun, but the fact is that this approach requires the curved lights to be there (and be reasonably easy to find) and not including them is simply wrong......I mean, imagine the Kai Tak product not including the lights and giving the excuse that they can't be done using the SDK!

Paul

I would like to add to Paul's last sentence that making the customer believe that the curved lights are there is totally wrong. When I read the following sentence on the product page "Approaching runway 05 you follow a set of 'lead-in' landing lights" I really thought that the running lights were there (especially when knowing that they are part of the FS2004 version - Wonderfull Madeira). As english is not my native language, could someone who is more fluent than me, tell me if I was wrong to assume that the running lights would be part of the product?

Jean-Jacques

I would like to add to Paul's last sentence that making the customer believe that the curved lights are there is totally wrong. When I read the following sentence on the product page "Approaching runway 05 you follow a set of 'lead-in' landing lights" I really thought that the running lights were there (especially when knowing that they are part of the FS2004 version - Wonderfull Madeira). As english is not my native language, could someone who is more fluent than me, tell me if I was wrong to assume that the running lights would be part of the product?

Jean-Jacques

Well, there are lights there, although only the first one flashes and even then it's not easy to spot that one. The others that make up the curved approach are just fixed lights and are so small and dim that you need to be almost on top of them before you see them. So, it could be argued that the description is correct, even though users are unable to use them for what they were designed for.

Regardless, it would be a nice finishing touch if the developers spent a little time to do the lights properly and make this add-on all that it should be.

Paul

Well, there are lights there, although only the first one flashes and even then it's not easy to spot that one. The others that make up the curved approach are just fixed lights and are so small and dim that you need to be almost on top of them before you see them. So, it could be argued that the description is correct, even though users are unable to use them for what they were designed for.

Regardless, it would be a nice finishing touch if the developers spent a little time to do the lights properly and make this add-on all that it should be.

Paul

Paul, can you see them during the day too? On my setup, I only see them at dawn, night or dusk.

Jean-Jacques

Hello Folks,

I have some brighter ones if someone would like to try them, please make a backup of the original effect first.

Apparently these are not the final version according to the developer.

Thanks Shaun,

I re-instaled Madeira to test them. They are indeed a little brighter. On my system I see them only at night, dawn or dusk.

J.J.

• 4 weeks later...

As already discussed in this topic i must say i am rather disappointed regarding Aerosoft not possible to make the curved lead in lights for the approach in Madeira. As the people of Fly Tampa can do this , fly the approach to RNW 13 at night in Hong Kong old airport, you will see they did an amazing job, curved lead in lights which work properly and make this realy a challenging approach.

Maybe Aerosoft should consider to put these lights into Madeira, certainly when they claim in the product description they are there.

Misleading customers??

Hotas

I agree and i will not buy Madeira X until it gets these CRUCIAL lights functional. I personally don´t believe that this is impossible to be done, specially because it was already done in Hong Kong by other company as mentioned above. Im sorry but Lack of knowledge is an other subject.

Madeira airport is one of the most important airports for simmers and even for real pilots, once it is of a difficult nature of landing. Therefore this graphically wonderful job Madeira X without this particular detail is as comparable as a Ferrari without it's heart engine.

I will still keep interested in this product for news. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought it might be worth bumping this page to the first page.

I don't suppose there's any chance of a response from the developer is there? It's a real shame such a lovely add-on hasn't been finished properly :-(

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...