Carrier ops?

dswo

This evening I am flying the US Navy F-16A stationed at Fallon NAS. Is the Aerosoft model enabled for carrier ops? I can put the hook down, but when I trap it doesn't seem to catch. To check, I landed the F-16 on a nearby runway, switched to the freeware Goshawk (a naval trainer), landed on the carrier, then changed back to F-16. I tried to lower the launch bar (shift-U), but that didn't seem to do anything. Nor could I could arm takeoff assistance (shift I).

I know there are several variables here, but this isn't the first time I've tried to trap. Has anyone made it work so far?

This evening I am flying the US Navy F-16A stationed at Fallon NAS. Is the Aerosoft model enabled for carrier ops? I can put the hook down, but when I trap it doesn't seem to catch. To check, I landed the F-16 on a nearby runway, switched to the freeware Goshawk (a naval trainer), landed on the carrier, then changed back to F-16. I tried to lower the launch bar (shift-U), but that didn't seem to do anything. Nor could I could arm takeoff assistance (shift I).

I know there are several variables here, but this isn't the first time I've tried to trap. Has anyone made it work so far?

The F-16 has a tailhook, but no launch bar. Both would rip the fragile gear right off the airplane. The Navy jets have hardened landing gear. The tailhook is probably not added in the aircraft.cfg section.

As Razgriz said the aircraft isn't meant to do carrier landings. Before the F-18 there was an experimental version called the YF-17 that competed directly against the F-16 for the air force contract and lost. There are drastic differenes between that aircraft and the F-18 that followed just to enable it to do carrier landings. The reason the F-16 has a tail hook is for emergency landings where you lose the brakes and on most military runways we have long field arresting gear. Which is basically cables strung across the runway at either end just before the over run area's. That is the only reason the aircraft has a tail hook. If you wish to use it for carrier landings though and have acceleration installed I am unsure exactly what to do but there are tutorials at varios sites how to put the necesary data into the .cfg file to enable it to land/takeoff from a carrier. You just wouldn't have the launch bar animation. Hopefully this helped.

Mr. dswo,

What the users above have stated is all true. However, I have considered doing this for myself. Would you still like to have a configuration for Carrier TOF/LND for this model?

If so, I will work on it and post it when its finished; Keep in mind that NO F-16 to date has that ability in reality. So this is for FSX only and NOT an Aerosoft project. ;)

• Upvote 1

What the users above have stated is all true. However, I have considered doing this for myself. Would you still like to have a configuration for Carrier TOF/LND for this model?

If so, I will work on it and post it when its finished; Keep in mind that NO F-16 to date has that ability in reality. So this is for FSX only and NOT an Aerosoft project. ;)

I would like that very much, James -- understanding that this is not part of the real F-16.

Mr. Dswo,

It is finished... Just doing some final packaging for you and will be posting it shortly. It will work with the FSX Acceleration Carriers and others (like ARRCAB v2.6). It launches and recovers. Here are a couple of preview pic:

post-13668-1226779000_thumb.jpgpost-13668-1226779008_thumb.jpg

Enjoy! :D

• Upvote 1

Uhh, Guys,

Not to be a nitpicker but uhh, a F-16 isnt really build for these Ops, the Hook is only meant for an emergency stop at the airbases.

But ofcourse its your choice, still a bit funny though lol

Uhh, Guys,

Not to be a nitpicker but uhh, a F-16 isnt really build for these Ops, the Hook is only meant for an emergency stop at the airbases.

But ofcourse its your choice, still a bit funny though lol

Mr. TAFKAM,

This is all in fun; I hope that by me posting it for Mr. DSWO and others that you/staff will not take any offense?

• Upvote 1

Mr. Dswo/ Gents

Please make sure you've installed the v1.10 update and back up your original aircraft.cfg's before doing this.

Here it is ...

1. Go to the folder ...\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aerosoft F-16A 9

2. Edit/Open the aircraft.cfg using Notepad.

3. Add the following lines to the bottom of the file and save it.

// Created by James F. Chams @2008.

// ================================

[LAUNCH_ASSISTANCE]

launch_bar_pivot = 8.00, 0.00, -5.95

launch_bar_lug = 9.00, 0.00, -5.95

4. Now Start FSX and go have fun launching the Aerosoft's US NAVY's F-16 off the FSX Acceleration Carriers.

Note: This was done purely for the fun of using the Aerosoft's F-16 on FSX Acceleration Carriers and is NOT a true reflection of U.S. Naval operational F-16 aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone performed a successful trap yet? If not, do the landing gear need to be hardened like the Hornet's? (I realize all of this is pretend.)

-- David

Has anyone performed a successful trap yet? If not, do the landing gear need to be hardened like the Hornet's? (I realize all of this is pretend.)

-- David

Mr. David 'dswo',

Yes I've been testing that ... the current configuration requires the aircraft to be flown very accurately to achieve that without a bounce or a sideways slide after landing. I'm currently working on adjusting this to make it more "user-friendly." Please be a little patient, as I don't want to change too much in their default files which might throw other things off. I'll get back to you as soon as I'm finished. In the mean time, practise your landings. :)

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
Thank you, James. Javier's Nimitz makes carrier ops a lot more compelling.

James ;

Just tried this myself and it works great,,my apologies to the purists out there,,but I like it ;)

Go figure :rolleyes:

Thanks James

Randy

James ;

Just tried this myself and it works great,,my apologies to the purists out there,,but I like it ;)

Go figure :rolleyes:

Thanks James

Randy

Your very welcome, Randy, Enjoy! :D

BTW: I've updated this today to version 1.2 and it includes a whole slew of other aircraft addons (many of them are NOT Naval) but its for those users who just want to enjoy their jet on carriers no matter what. It also includes a number of Naval Aircraft configurations which are now set correctly (Very important to us purists ;) ).

Download it here: Aircraft AI Carrier Configurations v1.2

Now, I'm going to celebrate my "independance" here in the U.S. (July 4th).

Later! B)

• Upvote 1

3nd UPDATE: 8/7/09

Well, in investigating the tailhook locations issues for the Acceleration F/A-18A, CaptainSim's F/A-18D & F-117A, I found that Microsoft got their Acceleration F/A-18 dead-on accurate in all its settings. However, CaptainSim's F/A-18D's tailhook was misaligned (and I've now fixed it) and both their Launch Bar location are correctly forward but NOT dead-on accurate to their locations; they do, however, work as intended.

So, I posted another new fix here: Aircraft AI Carrier Configurations v1.4 by James F. Chams

Acceleration F/A-18A (Correcting settings)

AC7.jpg

CaptainSim F/A-18D (settings off)

AC6.jpg

CaptainSim F/A-18D (settings Tailhook Fixed)

AC6a.jpg

CaptainSim F-117A (settings somewhat correct)

AC8.jpg

Enjoy! :)

• Upvote 1

I can imagine this aircraft doing carrier ops... that intake swallowing personel and debris... the lack of wing-folding making it impossible to store and the lack of wingspan not enough for lift out of the catapult...

Ahh, the first submarine F-16 pushed out of a boat...

Great fun though... I am going to try this myself! :)

• 1 month later...