Possible FPS Hit with FSFK with FSWide?

joeporter

Just checking to see if anyone is experiencing any reduction in FPS after installing FSFK. If not, or if so, can you let me know where you are or aren't seeing it, i.e., running FSFK with FSWide or on the host (FS PC). I was noting some jerkiness where there was non before and only thing added with to update to FSFK 3.0.

Any feedback appreciated or recommendations to improve persormance.

Joe

Joe,

I experience "jerkiness" when the world map is being displayed on the Acars gauge. I run FSFK via WideFS. if I switch off the map display, all is well, even with the ACARS gauge active.

Regards,

Jure

Jure,

I bet you are right, i was running with the world/terrain map on. I will turn that off and see if that makes a difference. I rarely use the mapping function anyways, mostly to find my way around on the ground or when in close terrain confines . . .

Thanks much

Joe

Thomas,

I did some more testing today, a flight in Leonardo's Maddog MD82, KATL-KORD. There is no FPS drop as such when using FSACARS and displaying a map, but a sort of jerkiness. This is most visible when the aircraft is turning, either on the ground or in the air. At KATL with full AI I had around 15fps and that did not change when I switched off the map on the FSACARS. But movement was much more fluid without the map displayed (all three maps, world- terrain- and relative terrain-)

Once in the air, fps went up and when I switched on the map in FSACARS I could see momentary drops in fps from 25-30 to 12-15. Very short dips and then FPS would return to 25-30. This is happening at irregular intervals, sometimes once every second then every two seconds or so.

My system:

Main FS computer:

Athlon FX57

geForce 7800 GTX

2GB RAM

2 SATA HDs

fully defragged, Windows XP SP2

Secondary computer:

Athlon 3500+

ATI Radeon X850

2GB RAM

2 SATA HDs

Windows XP SP2

On main FS computer I only run FS9.1 and Track IR software. It is used only for flying, with only essential services running. Win XP installation was optimized

On the secondary computer I run FS Flight Keeper, Active Sky v6.5, ProFlightEmulator and/or Radar Contact 4

FSUIPC and WideFS are both the latest versions, both registered.

I hope this information helps a little bit. When I first noticed this jerky movement, I was in the RFP B747-200, ViP edition, merged with Posky B742. Behaviour in both aircraft was exactly the same. I was around Zuerich by FS Dreamteam at that point.

Last, but certainly not least, let me thank you for the great job with this new version, Thomas! I've been using FSFK since 2004 and I cannot imagine being without it. One of the best and surely one of most important add-ons if you ask me. :)

I have moved my FSFK installation from another computer yesterday (a very old machine, running FSFK 2.8) to the one described above and I the live map is a great tool now that I have enough horse power. I am still going through all the new features and so far, I can only say: fantastic! :)

One more thing: importing, or moving, my old database with it's almost million miles flown to the new FSFK was completely painless. All settings retained. Perfect!

Regards,

Jure