A Sad day in aviation.

Cris B.

I will always have fond memories of Tempelhof and will always remember every sortie to and from her.

To a grand airport where history and many aviation firsts were made,

TEMPELHOF WE SALUTE YOU!

Here is a link to an AOPA article about Tempelhof:

http://www.aopa.org/flightplanning/article...;WT.mc_sect=gan

• Upvote 2

It's sad indeed. We "berliners" did what we could to stop the closure but it seems that every good thing need to come to an end. I've flown quite a few times from Tempelhof and always like the air of history surrounding the place.

That has little to do with each other. BBI would have been build even with THF remaining open. From an economic standpoinds the closure is even understandable - runways too short to operate even normal planes, capacities to slim and no room for expansion. But it's sad nevertheless.

runways too short to operate even normal planes

Sorry, you are wrong here. 2094m is hardly too short! BAe, Avro, ATR etc. and every Business Jet is happy with that length. I think, THF could have been so much more than LCY is for London; and that seems to be important, considering that BA will start flights to NY with A319/318!

They (the politicians) threw a perfect opportunity in the bin, to separate GA/Business from normal scheduled traffic. Also the smaller government aircraft could have had their home there.

A perfect connection to the heart of the city, specially for the Business people, forever lost (hopefully not).

I hope aerosoft have some plans to remake this airport in Flightsim, would have been cool to have a good detailed and accurate representation of this airport as a memory of it's existence