Elevator/aileron issue

AdamN

Hello!

Firstly I'd like to say that the F-16 is one of the best addons I've ever had for FS, so before I start moaning about niggling issues, I'll just make it clear that I am happy with it. :lol:

But one thing that's slightly spoiling the enjoyment for me, is the fact that whenever I try to use the ailerons and elevators together, the plane just seems to slip and slide in that horrible way, typical of FS (like if you tried a tailslide or some similarly extreme maneouvre). For example, if I tried to do the barrel roll at 2:07 on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6ztFOKBUlg, or perhaps the roll at 2:43, I'd just end up with a plane going sideways or falling out of the sky. You get similar effects on the default Extra 300 (of all the aircraft!) and the Acceleration F-18 if you do too many consecutive rolls. It doesn't happen with every aircraft though...

So I'm just wondering whether such a problem could be fixed. If you're unsure as to what I mean, I can always record a video to show it clearly.

Cheers!

Don't think theres a problem with the aircraft. It's more to do with how the aerobatic manouvers are flown I think.

A barrel roll needs rudder input as well as aileron and elevator to fly the manouver correctly, its quite a slow roll that sort of flies a corkscrew shape along the intended flight path of the aircraft.

Where as an aileron roll might just need a touch of nose up elevator just to get the nose attitude slightly above the horizon before using the ailerons to roll the aircraft. The aircraft should rotate around its longditudinal axis and intended flight path.

If you attempt a slow aileron roll theres every chance that by the time your upside down, the nose may be dropping below the horizon and you start to go into a dive. The same is true of a barrel roll, the other things that could happen when performing a barrel roll is that you could stall in the middle of it and go into a spin or overstress the aircraft by going to fast and pulling to many G's.

In short a very tricky aerobatic manouver to get right, I've never managed a decent barrel roll with any aircraft yet, but then I'm not an aerobatic pilot either.

You may be right about the slow barrel roll, but I'm almost certain the snap barrel roll should have some degree of elevator input.

Ok, just as a comparison, I'm trying to do the maneouvre shown at 2:43

(same video as the original post). You can see that he starts to pull up whilst rolling out of the turn, which would surely suggest that both the ailerons and elevator are being used. And in order to actually point the nose down at the top of the roll, again, surely he'd need to use the elevator to do it so quickly, as opposed to just letting the aircraft do it by itself? Rolling into the left hand turn would be much the same as the turn into the maneouvre.

Here's a video I've recorded to show the difference between simply using the ailerons and combining it with the elevator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu0oopuZB2U. You can see that when I'm only using the ailerons, the roll is far too flat to represent the real maneouvre. If I use the elevators, it just goes completely haywire! Now, even if I'm not performing the maneouvre correctly, I'm sure you'd agree that it's not meant to go that badly wrong!

After watching the two videos....I would say the cause appears to be a lack of elevator control authority. At what speeds are you attempting this maneuver? Also, If you have the video saved on FS recorder, can you PM me and I"ll send you my email address?

That was done at ~350kias, but I've tried it at lower speeds with similar effects. Even reducing the aileron/elevator input has the same outcome, just at a slower rate.

Here are the Recorder files (recorded at Florennes):

f16_1.zip