Brightness On Mfd

Voyager30

Is there any way to increse the brightness on the right MFD?

When in map mode is the ground so faint that its almost impossible to see.

Running a Windows XP machine DuoCore ~3 Mhz, 3 Gb ram, nvidia 9200 GT 512 Mb, FSX SP2, Acelleration

Regards

Gerth

It has been adjusted to be darkest at groundlevels close to sealevel.

Try to take off from LOWI (Inssbruck) and watch the colors.

It is by purpose that the colors arent too bright. Otherwise it would look like a real GPS or even an arcade game.

Finn

Thanks for the answer.

Will test when i come home, have not been on high altitude and seen any change in brightness.

But as said i will test

//Gerth

Yes, the brightness of that right MFD terrain is something we went back and forth with. The colors you have now are literally something like the 10th combination we tried. For the altitude gradations to be noticeable, brightening up the base level would mean brightening up all levels by the same amount. And by the time you got to mountainous regions, it really would be TOO green and to bright.

Yes, the brightness of that right MFD terrain is something we went back and forth with. The colors you have now are literally something like the 10th combination we tried. For the altitude gradations to be noticeable, brightening up the base level would mean brightening up all levels by the same amount. And by the time you got to mountainous regions, it really would be TOO green and to bright.

Aha - so you mean that the MFD also depicts the terrain height and chages brightness depending on sourrunding eleveation, that would explain why I have a almost black MFD - souther sweden is flat ;)

//Gerth

• 2 months later...

That's strange Mr. Finn! :huh:

In "aviation-circles" that function is in reverse; it gets brighter as you get closer to the ground and dimmer as you get higher - But you weren't trying to implement a GPS but, a suedo-HSD. Even then, the above rule applies. E.g. in the G1000 when the terrain mode is activated the COLOR change also indicates height/clearance avoidance and serverity of clearance: BRIGHT YELLOW (within a 1000'FT of the ground/terrain) and BRIGHT RED (within a 100'FT of the ground/terrain).

But, I too will test this to see what you are refering to. Thanks for the info. :)

• Upvote 1

And how about this:

post-7458-1232003003_thumb.jpg

Its from a Real Garmin !

As far as I can see low terain is dark green getting more and more yellow as the terrain height increases and ends up being orange.

So starting at dark green geting brighter towards yellow and then becoming darker again.

I think that makes us both be right :)

But as You said: The Right MFD is not intended to resemble a GPS map.

Finn

And how about this:

post-7458-1232003003_thumb.jpg

Its from a Real Garmin !

As far as I can see low terain is dark green getting more and more yellow as the terrain height increases and ends up being orange.

So starting at dark green geting brighter towards yellow and then becoming darker again.

I think that makes us both be right :)

Mr. Finn,

NOT Quite, Sir; I think you misunderstand... Please let me explain.

The COLOR scheme is relative to aircraft's altitude and NOT its elevation from Sea level; i.e. that it is based on how high the aircraft is from those objects around it (It's elevation from them). In your picture example, The Green terrain does not get brighter just because you are higher (also, their are browns mixed in there too) but, rather, they represent lighter greens as you get closer and darker greens as further away. Does this make sense; I know it can get confusing because you are use to seeing elevation charts, etc. And, with altitude COLORS like Bright RED, and Bright YELLOW and Bright GREEN are the PROXIMITY of the aircraft to the terrain around it (the BAROMETERIC or Actual Altitude of the aircraft from the ground or nearby mountains). So the Green appears darker because it is LOWER (much farther away vertical distance) than the aircraft and NOT because items get brighter with altitude. Does this clear up the misunderstanding?

So, you were partly correct and with this information you are now fully informed. ;)

But as You said: The Right MFD is not intended to resemble a GPS map.

I stated that because I've been reading the .xml code and it is refered to as HSD (and NOT GPS) and resembles one in many ways. Also, none of the interfaces implementations of a functional GPS are present in this gauge (NRST/DIRECT-TO/etc). So, I infered, that you all were trying to make a suedo-HSD from the code and it's similarity to the HSD. Perhaps, Mr. Scott is the only one that can answer it for us. But either way, I like it and want to include many GPS features; if you all will let me. :D

Thank you for discussing this with us and I like the colors just the way they are. :)

PS: I'll be sending you the package that Fred and I are working on once were done - Got your PM; Thank you. :)

• Upvote 1

Quote; " But either way, I like it and want to include many GPS features; if you all will let me."

I have been messing around with the Panel.CFG files and added the standard GPS to the right MFD

Whenever the MFD switch on the right Avionics panel is off the GPS will show in it place

You only have to add two lines to the [Vcockpit01] file.I just wanted the Map to be more visible and this works

[Vcockpit01]

//file=F-16_1.bmp

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=512,512

visible=1

pixel_size=1024,1024

texture=$F-16_1

gauge00=HUD!HUD, 0,46,254,264

gauge01=VIPER!DED, 258,1,159,63

gauge02=VIPER!RADIO, 0,0,1,1

gauge03=VIPER!flaps_control, 0,0,1,1

gauge04=SCControl!CTRL, 0,0,1,1

gauge05=VIPER!AS_SB, 0,0,1,1

gauge06=MFD!LMFD, 6,310,165,170

gauge07=MFD!RMFD, 182,310,165,170

gauge08=VIPER!ex_light_control, 0,0,1,1

gauge09=VIPER!AS_Mastercaution, 0,0,1,1

gauge10=VIPER!Eng_smoke, 0,0,1,1

gauge11=fs9gps!gps_500, 164,288,192,205

draw_order00=gauge11, gauge06, gauge07,

This will give you the same fully functional GPS that FSX's default aircraft have

I hope I haven't upset any of the purest out there who wish to keep this remarkable

aircraft as absolutely authentic as possible ( I know blasphemous ;) )

Randy

I have been messing around with the Panel.CFG files and added the standard GPS to the right MFD

Whenever the MFD switch on the right Avionics panel is off the GPS will show in it place

You only have to add two lines to the [Vcockpit01] file.I just wanted the Map to be more visible and this works

[Vcockpit01]

This will give you the same fully functional GPS that FSX's default aircraft have

I hope I haven't upset any of the purest out there who wish to keep this remarkable

Randy

Guten Tag blasphemist Randy - you are not alone.

If you feed your GPS modification with direct to destination data and thereafter select back to generic MAP mode RMFD shows a wonderfull track line and a correct bullseye with distance and course.

This way you can fly semi-blasphemous. So do I. OK?

Regards mangold

Guten Tag blasphemist Randy - you are not alone.

If you feed your GPS modification with direct to destination data and thereafter select back to generic MAP mode RMFD shows a wonderfull track line and a correct bullseye with distance and course.

This way you can fly semi-blasphemous. So do I. OK?

Regards mangold

mangold; Good day sir!

I am not the technical type, :rolleyes: but I do like to fool around with the little things, to solve problems

Could you give me a clearer explanation of that last statement of yours

Ya kind of lost me there ;) and I think what you are getting at would be a Great Idea (If I understand what you'r getting at)

And thank you for your comments

Randy

mangold; Good day sir!

I am not the technical type, :rolleyes: but I do like to fool around with the little things, to solve problems

Could you give me a clearer explanation of that last statement of yours

Ya kind of lost me there ;) and I think what you are getting at would be a Great Idea (If I understand what you'r getting at)

And thank you for your comments

Randy

Mr Randy, you make me chew tongue because my native language is German.

With my last statment I simply wanted to express: your F-16 GPS is a perfectly working solution. To avoid feeling blasphemous having a GPS in F-16 RMFD I offer a procedure that makes feel only half-blasphemous. :-). So do I. OK?

Regards mangold

Allow me to say it in German.

Die Diskussion geht über die MAP Qualität. Auch ich fand die Qualität unbefriedigend. Einerseits in Bezug zur ansonsten hervorragenden aerosoft

F-16. Und unbefriedigend hinsichtlich Farbwahl des Geländes. Ihre funktionierende 2-Zeilen-Lösung fand ich phantastisch. Erst Ihr einfühlsamer Satz " Ich hoffe keinen der Puristen zu verletzen, die versuchen dieses bemerkenswerte Flugzeug so authentisch wie möglich zu erhalten" hat mir die vermeintliche Schwäche der MAP plausibel gemacht. Soweit habe ich einfach nicht gedacht. Und Ihre feinsinnige Anfügung "I know blaphemous" fand ich überaus treffend. In meiner Antwort wollte ich das scherzhaft überzeichnen durch die Worterfindung semi-blasphemous. und ein Verfahren, welches vielleicht auch F-16 Puristen tolerieren.

Ich verfahre so. Ich hoffe Sie finden das OK.

Mr Randy, you make me chew tongue because my native language is German.

With my last statment I simply wanted to express: your F-16 GPS is a perfectly working solution. To avoid feeling blasphemous having a GPS in F-16 RMFD I offer a procedure that makes feel only half-blasphemous. :-). So do I. OK?

Regards mangold

Allow me to say it in German.

Die Diskussion geht über die MAP Qualität. Auch ich fand die Qualität unbefriedigend. Einerseits in Bezug zur ansonsten hervorragenden aerosoft

F-16. Und unbefriedigend hinsichtlich Farbwahl des Geländes. Ihre funktionierende 2-Zeilen-Lösung fand ich phantastisch. Erst Ihr einfühlsamer Satz " Ich hoffe keinen der Puristen zu verletzen, die versuchen dieses bemerkenswerte Flugzeug so authentisch wie möglich zu erhalten" hat mir die vermeintliche Schwäche der MAP plausibel gemacht. Soweit habe ich einfach nicht gedacht. Und Ihre feinsinnige Anfügung "I know blaphemous" fand ich überaus treffend. In meiner Antwort wollte ich das scherzhaft überzeichnen durch die Worterfindung semi-blasphemous. und ein Verfahren, welches vielleicht auch F-16 Puristen tolerieren.

Ich verfahre so. Ich hoffe Sie finden das OK.

Works for me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up

Randy

Quote; " But either way, I like it and want to include many GPS features; if you all will let me."

[Vcockpit01]

//file=F-16_1.bmp

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=512,512

visible=1

pixel_size=1024,1024

texture=$F-16_1

gauge00=HUD!HUD, 0,46,254,264

gauge01=VIPER!DED, 258,1,159,63

gauge02=VIPER!RADIO, 0,0,1,1

gauge03=VIPER!flaps_control, 0,0,1,1

gauge04=SCControl!CTRL, 0,0,1,1

gauge05=VIPER!AS_SB, 0,0,1,1

gauge06=MFD!LMFD, 6,310,165,170

gauge07=MFD!RMFD, 182,310,165,170

gauge08=VIPER!ex_light_control, 0,0,1,1

gauge09=VIPER!AS_Mastercaution, 0,0,1,1

gauge10=VIPER!Eng_smoke, 0,0,1,1

Randy

Randy,

Thank you this was good to know. Just an update (FYI)...

Fred and I are talking about having both the FSX GPS and Features with Aerosoft own MAP display (updated with some of my HSD changes). We are looking at giving everybody that option. Your post, with this information and some requests by users, put me in that direction. So for the U.E.P., that we will submit to Mr. Finn (Aerosoft), you all should have what you need/want in the way of an actual - functional (Suedo-F-16) GPS with many more functions than the default.

Later. :)

• Upvote 1

Randy,

Thank you this was good to know. Just an update (FYI)...

Fred and I are talking about having both the FSX GPS and Features with Aerosoft own MAP display (updated with some of my HSD changes). We are looking at giving everybody that option. You post, with this information and some requests by users, put me in that direction. So for the U.E.P., that we will submit to Mr. Finn (Aerosoft), you all should have what you need/want in the way of an actual - functional (Suedo-F-16) GPS with many more functions than the default.

Later. :)

Hey James

Thanks for your contribution , I know you and Fred have ,and are creating a more user friendly sim addition

to the wonderful Aerosoft F-16. After the earlier reply to from Mangold to my post, I actually was trying to learn

how to accomplish just that B)

Your one (or more) step(s) ahead of me my friend.

Thank You

Randy

• 9 months later...

I would like to restart this discussion for waking up AEROSOFT.

There is absolutely nothing blasphemous as long as AS does not adjust the instrumts HSI HSI-Heading/DME ecc. ecc..

Such a fantastic Airplain and wrong Instrument indications is not possibile. At least make a update as asked by several users since 1 year.

I'm happy to hear that AS had a good year 2008. Now, you dont think there is the time for a correction/adjustment issue ?

That is the real situation.

Maybe i'm wrong and i just missed the update ? In that case, sorry.

regards,

Forstmeier Raimund - Padova/Italy

• 2 months later...

Randy,

I made the 2 line change to the Panel CFG File (in Windows 7) with difficulty saving it - but managed. The FSX default GPS does not appear with the MFD switch on the Avionics Panel turned off. Coud you show me the entire file (after the change) that's in the Panel File. Want to see if I did it properly.

Viel und Danke

Old Fastmover

Randy,

I made the 2 line change to the Panel CFG File (in Windows 7) with difficulty saving it - but managed. The FSX default GPS does not appear with the MFD switch on the Avionics Panel turned off. Coud you show me the entire file (after the change) that's in the Panel File. Want to see if I did it properly.

Viel und Danke

Old Fastmover

Guten Tag Fastmover

Since 4 weeks I am running FSX on Win7 64bit. (Vista before)

I followed Rany intrepids install procedure and the FSX default GPS DOES appear properly in the right MFD (given the MFD switch in Avionics Power panel is OFF)

Check again if EACH character and especially all SPACES are set exactly. Par ex. space missing between 500, 164 will ruin the installation.

Regards Günter