Help, Fsx Drops Aa When Stressed.

frontendrob

Hi all,

well after I finally had my new rig running with very satisfying FSX performace, new problems emerge... and this one really ruins it all.

When I am flying, as soon as the 8800M GTS gets some action, it will drop anti aliasing completely. Everything gets jaggy, at EGLL just switching perspective triggers that glitch. But when I hit ESC, and then again to get into the game, AA is back until the next time it hits. It only happens when theres much going on on the screen, so it is stress realated.

I am running 8Q AA (override app setting) through the NVIDIA drivers (latest, 179 i think), AA is disabled in FSX. It was running fine like this for more than a week. I can't recall making any changes. I reinstalled the driver, but it's still the same. I really tried everything that makes sense, like disabling triple buffer ect.

Has anyone had similar problems? I do not think it is a heat problem, as it occurs at the same time when I double the fanspeed, and also, I play Crysis with maxed setting for hours without a single glitch...

I would really appreciate any input, as my simming is on hold as long as that glitch is happening..

FSX SP2/ACC

WinXP SP2 w/3GB switch

Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz

4GB 1066Mhz FSB Ram

8800M GTS 512MB @ 1920x1200

(yes, it is the 24" iMac)

I have not heard of this happening with a healthy card with any driver or setting, so the first thing to check is that the card and system is healthy.

If you have a power supply issue, this could be an early indicator that things are about to go phut! Clean the GPU fan, and monitor the GPU temperatures to make sure you have the card within acceptable limits, although artifacts in the on-screen would normally be the first indicator of this. I GUARANTEE that FSX is stressing your system more than Crysis.

However, it does occur that what actually be happening is that the GPU is losing focus on the FSX display screen. Are you running in full screen mode when this happens? Are you running any background processes that run alongside FS (FS Commander, a Traffic program or somesuch?)

The latest drivers from Nvidia are 178.24, released Oct 15th. According to user forums, this series of drivers still contain problems leftover from earlier versions, and are introducing new issues for other users. So, when you say that you have not made any recent changes, it would appear that at least you have in fact made a major change: you have recently upgraded your video drivers! :-)

I would try a COMPLETE uninstallation of these drivers (not just a reinstall) and go back to an earlier version, the last known version that was working for you. See if the problem persists...if it does when you know it worked before, then Snave is correct; you could have a developing issue with your PSU or even the video card itself.

Last question: do you have a last known working backup that you can restore from? This would be the best troubleshooting step....