Pictures From My Trip To The Swiss - Meiringen And Axalp

VinFlyer

Two weeks ago I went to the Axalp 2008 airshow in Switzerland. Now this isn't just your ordinary 'a nice day at the airfield' kind of airshow, but one located at 7366ft (2300m). To get there must first undergo a 2-3 hour hike/climb. But once on top you have a wonderful view combined with a awesome show. The airshow part starts after lunch around 13:30, before that there is live ammo shooting by the F-5s and F-18s from the Swiss Air Force to wake you up :blink:

Photo conditions up there are to say at least challenging, looking straight into the sun plus also this year having to deal with partly snow covered backgrounds. The actual showdays are on the Wednesday and Thursday. Unfortunately this year the show was canceled on both days because of too much clouds up there. Luckily we had taken the gamble to go one day earlier on Tuesday for the full practice day, in hindsight the best day of the week with the most action. For the rest of the week we stayed at a village close to Meiringen AB, and when I say close I mean really close. The airbase is partly situated in the village of Unterbach itself, to enter it you have to cross the runway and taxiways something I had never seen before.

This year was my first time so I didn't really know what to expect. In the end I think the pictures came out quite ok. I hope you like them as much as I did making them :D Below you'll find pictures first ones taken around Meiringen AB, the rest at Axalp.

IMG_0019.jpg

Getting close to the action. The road crosses the runway, when an aircraft lands or takes off the crossing barriers closes.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

Photo taken from the house we stayed in (500m from the runway)

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

Long hike/climb to the top...

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

...but it's worth the view :D

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

Crappy picture, but it shows the live firing

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_3122.jpg

That's just a small collection from the total of photos shot. If you're not bored by now there are a couple more pics at my photopage here and here. More photos to come there....

Mr. Vin,

You're an excellent photographer! I would have loved to have been there with you; looks like the Swiss put on a really good show. B)

PS: Now where can I get some great aircraft repaints for Aerosoft's upcoming F-5 and FSDT's/CaptainSim's (Microsoft's) F/A-18's?

Man that is just brilliant. I will have to chalk this one down and at some point plan a vacation around it! Great scenery and aviation combined! Love it! :D

Thanks guys. Yes you really need to plan a vacation around it, you just can't risk it to go for just one or two days. Around Meiringen you're at a good location, also close to other airbases like Emmen and Payerne. I also payed a visit to Payerne on Wednesday while Axalp was canceled. Payerne is the Swiss AF main base, much bigger than Meiringen but still very accessible for making great photos (as long as the weather is ok :lol: ) Below some pictures from Payerne.

IMG_3256.jpg

Mirage III, not flying anymore but luckily they have one private owned example still flying...

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3473.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg