Target Frame Rate / Vfr Germany

frontendrob

Hi there,

I have recently installed FSX on my new system, and I am kind of mad that even after 4 days of tweaking the settings I am stuck because of, as it seems to me, a stupid programming failure:

When I fly above 10.000 feet, I can achieve well over 30 FPS, but the ground textures tend to get a blurred mess after a few minutes. So I set the Target Frame Rate to 25, and it works: solid 25 FPS and visibly better texture loading, no more or at least much less blurries. This is especially obvious when flying with highend VFR scenery such as Aerosoft's VFR Germany.

However, once I am on final, or even on the ground, the Target Frame Rate kills my FPS. Sitting at 25R at EDDF I get 20FPS with unlimited frames, when I keep my Target Frame Rate of 25 however, it creeps along at 14FPS. Same goes for any airport or below 10.000 feet situation, so basically I have to turn on/off the Target Frame Rate at least twice in a flight.

So obviously, the Target Frame Rate is a broken software feature, as it is simply not doing what it is suposed to do, its makes no sense to me that it kills my FPS on the ground, ESPECIALLY on the ground as there isnt any texture loading to do whatsoever!!

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

My system: 3.06 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 512MB 8800M GTS, 4 GB (/3GB switch), Windows XP SP2, FSX SP2.

Running in 1920x1200, did the notorious Autogen hacks incl. the lightened Default.xml. Texture resolution is set to only 1 meter!

Greetings,

Robert

• Aerosoft
Hi there,

I have recently installed FSX on my new system, and I am kind of mad that even after 4 days of tweaking the settings I am stuck because of, as it seems to me, a stupid programming failure:

When I fly above 10.000 feet, I can achieve well over 30 FPS, but the ground textures tend to get a blurred mess after a few minutes. So I set the Target Frame Rate to 25, and it works: solid 25 FPS and visibly better texture loading, no more or at least much less blurries. This is especially obvious when flying with highend VFR scenery such as Aerosoft's VFR Germany.

However, once I am on final, or even on the ground, the Target Frame Rate kills my FPS. Sitting at 25R at EDDF I get 20FPS with unlimited frames, when I keep my Target Frame Rate of 25 however, it creeps along at 14FPS. Same goes for any airport or below 10.000 feet situation, so basically I have to turn on/off the Target Frame Rate at least twice in a flight.

So obviously, the Target Frame Rate is a broken software feature, as it is simply not doing what it is suposed to do, its makes no sense to me that it kills my FPS on the ground, ESPECIALLY on the ground as there isnt any texture loading to do whatsoever!!

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

My system: 3.06 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 512MB 8800M GTS, 4 GB (/3GB switch), Windows XP SP2, FSX SP2.

Running in 1920x1200, did the notorious Autogen hacks incl. the lightened Default.xml. Texture resolution is set to only 1 meter!

Greetings,

Robert

I started writing that this was highly unlikely but then decided to check in a few location. And I am surprised to see you are right, a total surprise to me.I am not sure what this implies, but I could not see any bad effect from using the unlimited settings at ground level.

I started writing that this was highly unlikely but then decided to check in a few location. And I am surprised to see you are right, a total surprise to me.I am not sure what this implies, but I could not see any bad effect from using the unlimited settings at ground level.

It seems everyone who made this test comes to the same conclusion (FPS digits are just examples):

Unlimted Target FPS >> Actual FPS: 20FPS.

Target FPS set to 25 >> Actual FPS: 12FPS.

(While sitting on the Runway).

Somebody else suggested that the Problem is MyTraffic 5.1b (or traffic in general), he set traffic to 0%, and suddenly the anomaly was gone. I will test this when I get home from work.

But it would help if we had more people testing this strange observation. I think a workaround is needed, as going to settings and enabling/disabling the limiter is no option for me...

• Aerosoft
It seems everyone who made this test comes to the same conclusion (FPS digits are just examples):

Unlimted Target FPS >> Actual FPS: 20FPS.

Target FPS set to 25 >> Actual FPS: 12FPS.

(While sitting on the Runway).

Somebody else suggested that the Problem is MyTraffic 5.1b (or traffic in general), he set traffic to 0%, and suddenly the anomaly was gone. I will test this when I get home from work.

But it would help if we had more people testing this strange observation. I think a workaround is needed, as going to settings and enabling/disabling the limiter is no option for me...

Well I don't have MyTraffic installed and even if I did, it it the same as default traffic just more dense and more correct. A work around would be needed for FSX, not for any addon. And don't hold your breath for any further FSX update. We are investigating if we can make a add-on for FSX that does this, but right now we are not sure if we can tweak the max FPS setting on the fly (so while FSX runs and is not paused).

• Aerosoft
It's great you are investigating, as we surely can't count on MS for any further patches. However, given the nature of this glitch, I believe it could be fixed.

Well, it depends. Some things can be changed while FSX runs, others need a reset of certain modules and others need a total restart. And we always got to keep in mind we are fixing bugs for MS and we can't do that without budget, some how it will be paid for by customers, even if we send something out for free.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Thank you Robert for your experiments,

Since now i have flown (fly past ?, sorry no native speaker ) with a locked framerate (20-25 FPS), and wondered, why big airports like London Heathrow are such a big framehit, but now with unlocked frames I also get 18-20 Fps (if you turn around fast you can see how buildings pop up, but thats okay).

My small solution would be to use FSUIPC4.., it goes on the nerves to use in flight the menu with the mouse, choose properties, Framerate..., but if you have only to press a key or button for lock Framerate 20...FPS/Unlock, the situation would be much better. Has anyone tried it with FSUIPC4 or whatever (Is it possible with the FSX settings?) to automate this function.

Thanks for replies

Many Greetings Thomas