Checking Out Aerosoft's Airport Enhancement Services...

petermcleland

I've been using this for some time now and have 46 airports equipped with these services. Here are a few pictures from just 5 of them:-

aes02LOWW.jpg

aes08LOWI.jpg

aes17LHBP.jpg

aes19EHAM.jpg

aes22VHHX.jpg

To find out where they are and look at the other pictures in the sequences you would have to go to here:-

http://forum.fsscreenshots.com/dcboard.php...e=full&page

Thanks for looking :rolleyes:

When I joined BEA in 1964, after 12 years as a fighter pilot in the R.A.F. this was the aircraft they put me on:-

aes30EDDH.jpg

The Vickers Viscount...However, they could not start a course for us at that moment as the Training System was a bit gummed up.

aes31EDDH.jpg

So they sent me home on two weeks paid leave...I drew a set of Viscount manuals to take home with me to study.

aes32EDDH.jpg

I was called in to fly two "Supernumary Flights" on the Viscount and one of them was to Warsaw with a refuelling stop at Hamburg.

aes33EDDH.jpg

Hamburg is where we are here. I did another "Supernumary Flight" on some German Internals...I was just instructed to sit in the jump seat and watch and listen to how it all went.

aes34EDDH.jpg

At the end of the two weeks I got a telegram from BEA to say that the training setup could not yet accept us on a course, so would I take another two weeks paid leave!

aes35EDDH.jpg

Well I didn't waste all this time as I spent it studying those Viscount manuals and by the time my course started I really knew them back to front.

aes36EDDH.jpg

Finally when we gathered in a lecture room to start our course, the instructor announced "It's ALL BEEN CHANGED chaps, and you are all going on VANGUARDS!" So those supernumary flights were the only flights I ever had on the VISCOUNT :unsure:

• Upvote 1

To Mr. Peter McLeland,

Thank you Sir! ... for sharing your life's and AES' Sim experiences with us. I thoroughly enjoyed it. :D

Also, I've been patiently looking forward to Mr. Oliver Pabst's upcoming AES for FSX version release.

• Upvote 1

Thank you James...Here is the final installment of that thread:-

So I did most of my years as a First Officer on this mighty beast:-

aes37EDDV.jpg

The Vickers Vanguard.

aes38EDDV.jpg

I joined BEA on 12th October 1964 but it wasn't until 23rd February 1965 that I started my base training on the real aircraft in Malta.

aes39EDDV.jpg

The time between the two dates was busy with Ground School instruction, the ARB type certification and Flight Simulator Training.

aes40EDDV.jpg

The Base Training at Malta was only four flights spread over 7 days...The first was High Level Familiarisation, Stalling and Circuits and Landings.

aes41EDDV.jpg

The other 3 flights were all Circuits and Landings on 4 and 3 engines, with the last one being at night.

aes42EDDV.jpg

Back home to the UK and I started my Line Training on normal passenger carrying services on the 5th March 1965

aes43EDDV.jpg

I seem to have been signed up in my ATPL for the DH.C.1 Vanguard on 18th June 1965 and soon after that I was flying P1 u/s flights with a signature from each Captain.

aes45EDDV.jpg

I operated as a First Officer on Vanguards till 28th October 1971 and then after a spell as First Officer on the BAC Super 111, I returned to the Vanguard for my command course on 27th August 1973.

aes46EDDV.jpg

The course lasted till 27th September 1973 and on that day I flew my final check with Roger Neaves.

aes47EDDV.jpg

I flew as Captain on the Vanguard/Merchantman until 12th December 1974 before moving over to the Trident 3 as Captain for my remaining 10 years with BEA/British Airways.

aes48EDDV.jpg

These screenshots were all taken at Aerosoft's Hanover and we did at one time have a regular service to there from Heathrow via Cologne.

aes49EDDV.jpg

As on the previous post, the shots are really to show the operation of Aerosoft's AES...

aes50EDDV.jpg

...but they do show off the Vanguard pretty well :rolleyes:

Hi Peter,

thanks for sharing this with us. I've read a lot of your posts over the time. And they are always a pleasure to read and an enrichment for the flightsim community.

Thank you very much and Kind Regards

Thorsten

• 2 years later...

Peter - as a newcomer to this forum I was greatly interested to read of your experiences

on Viscount and Vanguard aircraft. My first ever flight as a passenger on any aeroplane was

made in a BEA Vanguard in August 1965, flying from London's Heathrow to Belfast Aldergrove airport.

This beautiful turboprop (of which BEA operated 20) had an engine note to match its looks, a musical

sound that was a unique feature in the London skies of the 60's and 70's. But my curiosity now is to know

the particular aircraft I flew in on that first flight of mine. As far as I know only one Vanguard now

survives, preserved at Wisley and this situation only heightens my curiosity. Did BEA keep any logbooks of their

aircraft movements and route operations? I guess they must have done if only for servicing requirements.

Peter - as a newcomer to this forum I was greatly interested to read of your experiences

on Viscount and Vanguard aircraft. My first ever flight as a passenger on any aeroplane was

made in a BEA Vanguard in August 1965, flying from London's Heathrow to Belfast Aldergrove airport.

This beautiful turboprop (of which BEA operated 20) had an engine note to match its looks, a musical

sound that was a unique feature in the London skies of the 60's and 70's. But my curiosity now is to know

the particular aircraft I flew in on that first flight of mine. As far as I know only one Vanguard now

survives, preserved at Wisley and this situation only heightens my curiosity. Did BEA keep any logbooks of their

aircraft movements and route operations? I guess they must have done if only for servicing requirements.

Witham,

I think it would be very difficult now to find which Vanguard you flew in, as the relavent records have probably been scrapped...You don't say what date in August 1965 that you flew to Belfast from LHR but for interest my logbook reveals that I flew that sector in August 1965 as follows:-

4th August in G-APEO

14th August in G-APEP

15th August in G-APEM

16th August in G-APEP

21st August in G-APEK

Also for interest G-APEP now resides at Brooklands and they do very occasional engine runs on the RR Tynes :)

• 3 months later...

Witham,

I think it would be very difficult now to find which Vanguard you flew in, as the relavent records have probably been scrapped...You don't say what date in August 1965 that you flew to Belfast from LHR but for interest my logbook reveals that I flew that sector in August 1965 as follows:-

4th August in G-APEO

14th August in G-APEP

15th August in G-APEM

16th August in G-APEP

21st August in G-APEK

Also for interest G-APEP now resides at Brooklands and they do very occasional engine runs on the RR Tynes :)

Hi Peter,

Sorry to be so long in getting back to you - I can't believe the Jan 11 date on my original post, it seems much longer ago than that!

The date and time of my very first flight in life (on the Vanguard) was at around midnight on Friday 27th August 1965 from LHR

to Belfast. I was terrified of flying at the time but my fears were greatly overcome by that first journey. Thus encouraged, I looked

forward to my second such journey to Belfast, booked for the following 5th November. Then, just before this, as you will know,

tragedy struck with the accident involving Vanguard GAPEE on a flight from Edinburgh, as she was trying to land in poor visibility

at Heathrow in the early hours. I remember the date of 27th October well enough as that date was my birthday.

Sorry not to have replied earlier - I do appreciate your interest.

Bws,

Hello Peter,

What about the good old Britannia, flew out to Malta in one of them in the late 60's from Lyneham when my dad was in the RAF we had to meet him there as his posting from Libya was up and he then opted to go there.

The one thing that I remember most about that flight was the hugh flame that shot out the engine on startup.