Bushhawk Xp

Ah, mee too. We both shifted the topic into a healthy discussion about the system. I apologize for that. Back to the Bushhawk - wich raises the bar in every aspect but at a too high price. I think that sumns it up nicely. :D

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of being on-topic, I'm one of the folks with the frame rate problem and I appreciate the developer taking the time to explain his thought process, and I'm really pleased that he's willing to explore solutions. I think open dialog goes a long way toward soothing customers' shattered nerves.

If you need any info from me, or want me to try something just let me know. I'd really like to get this bird humming along!

This thread is one of my favourites here – for many reasons.

First: It is the perfect lecture before going to bed. I mean I – as a member of the beta team – tried to read the last pages (since the release) to find reasonable issues in order to work on solutions. I fell asleep twice – somewhere between MD11 and FPS 21, that simply came too often from one and the same corner. If the MOD would shorten the informative part of the raised issues (since the BH release), there would be not more than three postings. The rest is like Columbo on Sunday evenings (seen that already).

Second: This is the first time I feel the urge of responding to people who think they can point a finger at me. We do not get a product for free just because we do the beta test. If you take a test serious, you spend more time on testing (working) than some people here might think of. The work is for sure worth more than the product. Reading comments like these makes me think why not leaning back and just buy the plane when finished – let someone else do the work.

Third: Wasted a day’s income? Well, then something is wrong with your financial plan, honestly. 30 Euros is a lot of money, but I do not buy blue ray DVDs when I have a VHR at home...

And yes, I earn a lot more than you, but it appears that I cannot afford as much AddOns as you did the last year. That’s also one of the reasons why I am testing – to save the money for other things.

Forth: The weakest system the Bushhawk would then be mine:

Aspire1694WLMi, Intel Pentium M processor 760 (2.0 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache), ATI Mobility Radeon x700 (PCI Express with 256MB VRAM), 100GB HDD, 1GB DDR2...

Whatever that all means – I am happy with the plane. It flew with additionnal software like FSGlobal and extra terrain meshes. I like to go deep and want lots of scenery to see, so the settings are higher than one would even recommend.

FPS are set at 25, because my eyes are human and not super human... (that’s why they have cameras posted at the finish line of a horse race and not me).

I had no issues with FPS (I am used to some shaky moments and I reported them), nothing out of line that might be worth to be mentionned. Man, the machine is two years old, what shall I expect? But the Bushhawk flew to my satisfaction.

Some might feel offended now and I hope the message passed on to the right ones. I think a proper tone towards the rest of the team would be appropriate, as they respond quite (in my opinion far too) diplomaticly to some fellows here.

If you point your finger to someone, never forget that three are pointing at you in the same moment! (I had a smart SM)

I am not from Aerosoft, I don’t get paid for that - it is my opinion you just read. You know my email...

Aerosoft Staff/Developers,

When you're doing your update/patch, could you please try and test this model/textures with someone who has a Geforce 8800GTX's and Vista-64 with Nvidia driver v178.24; Thank you.

How about you, James? ;)

All of you might be interested that we are working on potential fixes right this moment and I think we're on a good way.

"Good way" does not mean we found lots of unnecessary polys or textures that could be a quarter of their current size and still look great - but we're experimenting on what we can do to give those, who need more fps an alternative. That may lead to less functions/features, so it will only be an option you can choose (or at least try) if you like. You paid for the full spectrum of features and you have them now. I guess this is the first time the developer is asked to give less for the money. :D

Don't get me wrong: we're definitely working on things to make you happy.

And that is - just to say this once more - the one reason I'm spending my time as an fs developer: to make people happy with their hobby. B)

horst18519,

as i did say alredy before the releese of the BH the one that wait for something good can never wait too long,

good luck with the patching and dont forget to have som sleep over the "case" :)

regards

Per E

OK I´ve just be playing around with the Bush Hawk and came to the following result. Maybe this will help you finding a solution (or find out that there´s no solution):

I´ve tested the BushHawk at TahitiX Bora Bora Airport sitting on the runway, good weather conditions, no freight on board and got following average frames (first time I really used this counter):

cold and dark, VC looking to the front (cowling): 28fps (locked at 28)

cold and dark, VC cockpit looking to the tail: 18fps (locked at 28)

fired up the gauges but NOT the engine (just before firing up the engine), VC looking to the front (cowling): 25fps (locked at 28)

fired up the gauges but NOT the engine (just before firing up the engine), VC cockpit looking to the tail: 16fps (locked at 28)

right after engine startup, VC looking to the front (cowling): 10fps (locked at 28)

right after engine startup, VC cockpit looking to the tail: 6fps (locked at 28)

after take off, VC looking to the front (cowling): 7fps (locked at 28)

after take off, VC cockpit looking to the tail: 4fps (locked at 28)

same from the outside view: I´ve about 8-10 lower fps-rates when looking from the cowling to the tail than from the tail to the cowling. Really strange. And it takes abot 5-10 seconds to get normal frames again when I´ve changed the view into flight direction again. I don´t know if this is interesting for you. Or can anyone confirm something similar?

You might make sure you're not in an add-on scenery area for your testing. It's possible that scenery objects that are visible when looking one way aren't when looking another, and are affecting your numbers. Try starting a flight in the middle of the ocean (use an amphibian to be safe ;) ) and do the same test. I know from testing scenery that what you see outside the plane matters, sometimes a lot.

Ah OK! Good point Bill! I´ve forgotten to mention: I´ve turned the BushHawk in 90 degree steps once around and got always the same frames. And doing this in a desert area it was just 1-2 fps better in the worst case. And I´ve used the taildragger C-FDBR (VFR) for this test

I got my low over the ocean away from Dillingham (basically my home base because it's such a lovely place). Strangely enough I get a dip in fps (even further down) when I have cargo loaded in the back and those crates with fish are displayed. And paning around the VC to either left or right (so you can see the floats - in the amphib that is) cuts fps nearly in half over the straight view forward. Hope, it helps somewhat.

I hope there's more planned than just reducing texture size and making them DDS as that did nearly nothing for FPS on my computer, though it does make textures loading nearly instantaneous. It's good to see you guys are working hard for a solution. Seems that not only Vista users are experiencing this. :huh:

Thanks again, and sorry for being a pain. It is just frustrating to not be able to use such a neat plane.

How about you, James? ;)

And that is - just to say this once more - the one reason I'm spending my time as an fs developer: to make people happy with their hobby. B)

I'm happy; Thank you for all your efforts! :D:)B)

I'm also looking forward to the next package you're planning. ;)

Aerosoft Staff/Developers,

When you're doing your update/patch, could you please try and test this model/textures with someone who has a Geforce 8800GTX's and Vista-64 with Nvidia driver v178.24; Thank you.

How about you, James? ;)

James,

I think Horst was asking you if you would like to test the patch. ;)

This is a fantastic plane. I love flying it. However, I am somewhat relieved to find others having frame rate problems. I just landed the PMDG MD-11 and jumped into the Bush Hawk as soon I was finished installing it, and wow I was amazed that I too had lower frame rates in the Bush Hawk. I've since then moved to several different airports, included the ones where I normally get excellent frames, but still haven't seen higher than 15fps in this beautiful bird. I also am running on Vista. Seems this is the problem? I'm so tired of the problems with Vista and want to downgrade to XP, but XP will soon be just like Windows 98, the past. Don't know what to do. I love the software, and have the hardware, just can't keep up with you all.

I'm experiencing lower frame rates too but even more distressing is that the gauges along with the menu in the tool bar blurs when I switch from an external view back to VC.

BushHawk.jpg

If I switch to a different airplane the panel and the menu both clear up so it would seem to be related to the Bush Hawk

My system specs

XP Home w SP3

Q6600

2 GB Ram

GeForce 8800 GTS driver vers. 6.14.11.784

FSX w/Accelleration

How about you, James? ;) ....

Mr. Thorsten "horst18519",

If what Mr. Cris B. is saying is true, than might I suggest that you make sure that its offical, and get that in writing to me from Mr. Kok.

Then, we'll talk ...

Thank you!

Serious question guys.

First I must say that this is an amazing plane. The sounds, textures, flight..everything about it. And to update my recent post about fps

problems, I seem to be getting higher frames (around 26 fps) in most areas which 26 fps is VERY acceptable and honestly, extremely well for my setup. So please disregard my last post. I am VERY SATISFIED with this airplane. I am having a few issues now however that may just be something I've done and hopefully someone may be able to identify the problem.

When I first installed the Hawk, everything was working great. I flew, then shut down FSX to take a break. Came back about an hour later, and when I am in the plane the GPS will not turn on, even if I bring the GPS up from the options menu. Also, when I am in the air, every few seconds the plane takes a strong bank to the left. I can actually watch the ailerons from the outside view and they will shake very rapidly and then fully bank left all of the sudden. This didnt happen when I first installed the plane, and I was able to turn the GPS on with no problem. I haven't made any adjustments to my computer since installing it. Any ideas? Thanks.

**UPDATE**

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the plane, and the problems still exist. I also have noticed that I no longer have the sounds of the flaps retracting/extending.

Along with the GPS, the Airspeed indicator, altimiter, vertical speed, manifold pressure, rpm, and the turn coordinator (although the "ball" is moving) gauges are not working.

This must be something with the gauges and must be something I have done since the plane was working

magnificently when I first installed it.

Please help! I'm in love with this plane!

I know the blurry problem very well myself. It happens nearly every time I fly the BH. The problem is caused by the texture amount. It seems that the VRAM gets "overfilled" with textures resulting in FSX to create that blurryness out of a sudden. You have to factor in that the BH textures are not the only one in use, there are scenery textures too and others. When the total amount gets over a certain point (that differs from card to card) this happens.

I can force that effect by loading less texture heavy frames in texture heavy sceneries. If I load the A2A Strat in FlyTampa TNCM this happens too. If I load the Level-D there it doesn't. The difference is that the Strat uses some 80MB textures while the Level-D around 50MB. The "magic number" for me seems to be somehwere in the middle. That said it also happens with the BH and its 100+MB textures. With the BH it also happens elsewhere in the world too though because there is even less left for scenery and the "overfill" if likelier.

I managed to get rid of that completely by squeezing down the textures of the BH to around 55MB (lowering the resolution mainly from 2048 to 1024). The fps gain is not that huge in absoulte term but that blurry problem is gone completely now.

My guess is that people with cards that have lots of VRAM will likely not run into this problem, it's more of an issue for people that have cards with less VRAM. And the settings sliders are set to max. I can see your problem is not related to the settings but the same effect I spoke of because your top menu is also scrambled. Strangly enough, when the "overfill" happens the top menu gets unreadable as does the ATC popup window.

You can help it by navigating blindly into the display settings, swicht AA and accept. Now do the same again. By swtiching AA back and forth the VRAM seems to get cleared and textures get loaded again. But it happens again very fast with the BH. The texture reduction was the only real help for me as that did fix it here.

Hope that helps you a bit.