Heathrow 2008 Ctds

VulcanB2

Hi,

OK - first, my specs:

* Intel Core2 Duo E6700 (Stock Speed)

* 4Gb DDR2 800MHz RAM (2688Mb visible to XP due to BIOS config to support 32-bit OS)

* 1Gb GeForce 7950GX2

* Windows XP Pro SP3

* FS2004 @ 1600x1200x32

NO AI TRAFFIC.

Heathrow 2008: using high-res textures. Going to re-install using low-res textures.

Aircraft: PMDG 747-400 V1.2 (latest)

Other scenery: Kai Tak from FlyTampa (with the memory leaking landclass REMOVED). Cloud 9 EHAM scenery (loaded upon flying to SPY VOR prior to crossing North Sea). Visual Flight London.

The problem:

CTD when the airport become visible. It occurs not only with this aircraft flying Kai Tak to Heathrow, but with other aircraft flying from other places without add-on scenery, or over areas with add-on scenery, to this airport.

FS memory usage according to TaskMan at the time of the crash was 1.3Gb.

The CTD only occurs when flying TO the airport. I can sometimes get it to CTD by just flying large circuits, and landing on the opposite runway (e.g. 27R/09L).

The error occurs in g3d.dll.

I'm 100% convinced this is the scenery and nothing else. I can fly to Kai Tak without a CTD from Schipol.

Any ideas for a fix?

Best regards,

Robin.

Hello Robin,

This has been brought up before, I have not had a Crash to Desktop with the scenery as yet. But there again I haven't flown the PMDG into London.

Have you tried flying the default 747 aircraft into London Heathrow and see if the problem still exists and then try other default planes.

Have you checked over at the PMDG Support Forum to see if there any possible causes and resolutions.

Also check to see if you dont have multiple afcads for the airport.

Hi VulcanB2

Could be that you are running 4GB in XP, Try 2GB which is more than sufficient. XP cannot handle 4GB Unless you some how have tweaked XP to handle 4GB.

I had CTD all the time when approach the London Area and found that my fault was running 4GB now I have 2GB FS works ten times better without CTD.

Cheers

James

Another thing VulcanB2

I also have the EVGA 7950 GX2 1GB GPU and have compared and found that the driver 94.24 is the most stable about!!

Thats what I use any way

James

Hi,

Could be that you are running 4GB in XP, Try 2GB which is more than sufficient. XP cannot handle 4GB Unless you some how have tweaked XP to handle 4GB.

If you look, I've set my BIOS to support 23-bit OS. It limits the amount of visible memory to 2688Mb. I'm not using any /3GB switches or anything.

Have you tried flying the default 747 aircraft into London Heathrow and see if the problem still exists and then try other default planes.

I flew the Level-D 767 into Heathrow ast night, ad it was fine. Memory usage was 860Mb on landing at Heathrow. I did use time compression though, adn after thinking about it, decided that it probably didn't allow any (possible) memory leaks time to do their thing.

I've re-configured my scenery earlier this evening to move all existing landclass out of the scenery folders into their own folders. Over the the PMDG forum someone posted today that a possible bug exists in Landclass that accesses an *existing* texture folder, causing a memory leak the same way as scenery that accessed an empty texture folder.

I'm going to re-fly Kai Tak to Heathrow in real time again tonight, and shall report back! Hopefully it's another bug nailed! :D

I've got a light install at the moment - only Heathrow 2008, Kai Tak (with the beta update), Cloud9 Schipol scenery and some freeware scenery for Russia. I've checked all the installs to ensure that they're OK, and re-configured as described above where necessary.

Best regards,

Robin.

Robin

I am eager to see how your test flight went! Your symtoms sound similar to mine which I used to have way back when! Mine is however fixed without any CTD in sight! :D

If only 2688mb is shown then please can I ask why you have a 4GB setup, you are barely using 3GB by what you have stated?

Do you ever use the 4GB in any program you run in XP? Could the BIOS setting infact not bear any difference on XP?

I read somewhere in another forum of which escapes me, either here or on Avsim, A similar situation to you within FS9 and the outcome to that problem was that 4GB is not supported by XP what so ever and that when FS9 for example attempts to go over the threshold of memory limited by XP it cannot figure out what to do with the free memory then bobs your uncle a CTD.

Just an avenue for you to look at Robin, forget it if you want its up to you!

James

If only 2688mb is shown then please can I ask why you have a 4GB setup, you are barely using 3GB by what you have stated?

Vista uses the 4Gb (I have Vista Ultimate 64-bit). XP does indeed only see 2688Mb of RAM. Nothing more, nothing less.

I simply hunted out two landclass files belonging to the freeware UNNT 2008 scenery, and the payware Kai Tak, and NO CTD!!!! :D

I have the following scenery ONLY installed in the sim:

* Kai Tak

* UNNT 2008

* UUEE

* Cloud9 Schipol

* Aerosoft Heathrow 2008

* Visual Flight London

No mesh, etc.. - this is it (and the 744 and 767 of course). AI is default and is totally disabled in the sim.

Thanks to someone over at the AES forum for the suggestion that it was the landclass.

Best regards,

Robin.

• Developer
I simply hunted out two landclass files belonging to the freeware UNNT 2008 scenery, and the payware Kai Tak, and NO CTD!!!! :D

But Kai Tak should be ok, when you have installed the newest Update for that scenery, because then you should have a seperate Scenery entry, where the Landclass is located without a parallel Texture subdir.

But you see, that is the problem: One buggy landclass somewhere on the flightpath and then, the Scenery at the destination kill your FS, not because this addon has a bug, only it has no place to load. And the developer is searching for a problem, that does not exists in his addon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have to start at the cause of the crash - flying into Heathrow. Before I get there, I have to fly over Visual Flight London scenery.

I've had CTDs just doing circuits at Heathrow, too. Kai Tak is several thousand miles away at that point. ;)

It seems it is 100% the landclass. I've removed all custom landclass to seperate folders, and it seems to be fine at the moment!!

Best regards,

Robin.