Ooms, Ctds And Maybe More ...

You might be right about that. I'm using 2.02. I try to get that process monitor working, it's bit more complicated with filters then filemon...

cheers,

tobi

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Oliver,

Can you help me how I config the new process monitor tool.

The filemon tool was very easy to config, but the new program I don´t know what to do so he searching again my incorrect files.

Thanks for it.

With compliments,

• 2 months later...

Hi,

So what's going on if all of a sudden AES doesn't work anymore in FSX. I see no jetways, etc, when I press CTRl-Shift-W I get nothing. I reinstalled AES a few times, nothing. I have the latest version of FSUIC

• Developer

Hi,

So what's going on if all of a sudden AES doesn't work anymore in FSX. I see no jetways, etc, when I press CTRl-Shift-W I get nothing. I reinstalled AES a few times, nothing. I have the latest version of FSUIC

What has this to do with this Thread? Nothing. So, first read the other threads and if you don't find a solution, open a new thread for that. Primary look for all you can find about the Vistamare modules.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

is there anything new with the annoying g3d.dll? I've expected several problems with this "nice" file in the last time, most on long haul flights. First, I'm using FS9.1 on Windows XP, AES 2.05 and some sceneries. I read another thread here (http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=17418&st=160) in which psolk said:

You should not get the error flying between two AES airports, lord knows there are enough of them to choose from wink.gif

You should not get the error flying from an AES airport to a non AES airport

You SHOULD get the error flying from a non AES airpot to an AES airport

Well, I can agree with the last sentence, but not with the first two sentences. There are some examples:

Flight Munich to Boston -> everything works fine, no problems, very satisfied pilot. :)

Flight Boston to Munich -> on final, just established on the ILS -> g3d.dll error -> angry Pilot :(

Flight Munich to Miami -> same as the first flight, no problems.

Flight Miami to Munich -> crashed on ILS

I've the GAP 1 for Munich, the freeware scenery for Boston and the Flytampa scenery for Miami. Boston and Munich are AES active and Flytampa Miami doesn't have AES. O.K, like psolk said, from Miami (non-aes) to Munich (aes) there should be the error, and he's right, but I get the same when flying between two aes-active airports.

And I found out that its not important which aircraft I'm flying, I got the errors with the PMDG 744, the PSS 777 and the CLS a332.

Another thing: I have the 3gb patch too, its really neccessary for me, otherwise I can't complete my flights without having OOMs. A few weeks ago I perfomed some touch and gos with the PMDG 744 at EDSB, but in the second downwind -> crash. I tried the same with the PMDG 737 and I turned and turned and turned and nothing bad happened. Strange!

I've reinstalled AES now and deleted the static traffic from Munich (as I expected, one the the last airports with static traffic!) and done some flights between Munich, Vienna and EDSB (Karlsruhe) -> no problems so far, but I think, if I try another long haul, I'll crash again and thats very bad...

• Developer

As I have stated somewhere here, the problem has nothing to do with AES and in the most cases with the sceneries you fly from or to. The problem has also nothing to do with the DLL you see in the CTD. This dll is only that one, which comes in trouble, because the memory handling gets in problems, so the DLL can not do, what it has to do and the application chash.

Before AES 2.0, AES had a problem when using the 3GB Patch and AES was not loaded at the beginning of a session, because in this case the allocation of Memory after a longer flight get in trouble, because the address was in the upper area of the memory and AES could not handle that correct. This issue is fix since 2.0.

But, when you have addons (mostly sceneries with Landclasses, but also aircrafts have problems), which will have memory collection or memory leak coded in it, it is possible that you fly only over such a area, and the memory is reduce massive (as more frames you have, as faster this happens) and when you then enter the final to the destination airport and the FS must load the scenery (and maybe AES), there is no memory left anymore, because the FS will not give back the memory collected before by the buggy codes, the FS cashes in any part (fe.dll, atc.dll or 3gd.dll).

So, when you deactivate AES or parts of the destination scenery (like AI Traffic or static object) it is possible, that you have luck with the next approach, but maybe next time it cashes again.

The only chance you have is, to disable all addon scenery expect the depature and destination airport, so that you can check, if then all is fine there.

If you install a addon scenery (payware or freeware), the first step after the install should be to park the default cessna in that area (or airport) open the Taskmanage and check the FS*.EXE, if you see a growing of the virtuell memory usage over the time 10-15 minutes, even when you don't touch the FS. In this case, you know, that something is wrong here.

In extrem cases (like Francevfr addon before they where patch), you could see several 100 MB per minute growing, when you parked at LFMN. Maybe you have luck that you could start before the memory was over, but when you reach the destination (like CDG Paris), there was no chance to handle that big airport. But the most people will call the support of the destination (or AES), because they think there is a bug in that airport, what is not.

But I think also Addon Aircraft will have sometimes a problem, maybe with there FMC, because I had in the last week such problems with the CS757 after some fights and I have definitiv no Sceneries with memory problems installed. So it could be, that maybe a NAVDATA Upgrade with a massive growing database could also be part of the game, when for example a bug in the data will generate memory usage in the FMC Gauges.

Also AI Aircraft models using 24 bit Textures often will generate memory problems. If you have luck, you don't see this aircraft on your fight, but when it is somewhere crossing you flightpath, you get in trouble.

So it is a very complex issue, where you never can say where the reason is. AES or the most professional sceneries are mostly only the last part in the story, which brings up the trouble, but are not responsable for it.

Thanks for your reply Oliver.

So, for the example KMIA-EDDM, could it help to log in first on the destination airport with AES (so Munich) so AES and the scenery can be loaded and then back to the departure airport (Miami)?

A few months ago I had Ultimate Terrain Europe installed, but removed it from my computer after this error occured. This error didn't appear then until I finished the first longhaul flights after the removal. But this crashes only occured on european, most on german airports like EDDM or EDSB. Could it be that UTE was not completely removed from my computer? The only scenery addon for a greater area is Switzerland Prof. 2004 (so not the latest version) and some airportcollections like GAP and some Imaginesims for US-airports.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

In case of XP64 bit OS, should I expect similar behavior, because I didn't have a luck with 32bit OS and 3GB switch?.

Frequently 3gd.dll or fe.dll.

After de-activating 3gb sw, then OOM after longer flight.

Thanks

Edin

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, but FS is a 32bit Application, so Memoryadressing is limited to 32bit.

Hi Oliver.

I know that my problem is not connected with AES and things here, but as I'm informed You are guru for scenery problems.

So If You could look and give me advice.

Main thing. I have increase in memory usage more then twice above Belfast, and except UTE and EGAA Extreme I don't have any scenery in England.

Hypothetical question, how far can be scenery to have an impact to memory rise. For example, I have EGLL scenery which has memory leak. Will I see memory leak if I fly above Ireland?

The post is here:

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=273206

Thanks

• Developer

When you place the landclasses in the "Flight Simulator 9\addon scenery\scenery" directory, you must check if there is a "Flight Simulator 9\addon scenery\Texture" subdir present, as it is by default, because then you have won nothing and you still have the leak with the landclass. I made a post in Garys Forum for that.

• Developer

Hi Oliver and thanks for clarification.

So, even I deactivated EGAA after putting landclass file to wrong location, I will still have memory leak. Is this correct.

Thanks

Yes, because you have the landclasses still in the Addon Scenery Entry folder, as long as you don't deaktivate the "Addon Scenery" entry (or remove the files in there, the landclasses and so the memory leak is still in place. The EGAA Entry should be free of a memory leak, when you have removed the landclass there.

Hi Oliver.

Problem solved.

After de-activating EGAA and then UTE, memory still rise above normal values.

So, I realize that the problem is somewhere else.

With great tool Filemon, I found in area of Belfast , lot of missing textures for EIDW scenery.

Just to be sure I copied all textures from main texture folder to EIDW texture folder and no memory rise again.

Thanks for support.

Edin

• 1 month later...

Hi Oliver,

last week I had two CTDs, both at Aerosoft sceneries - brand new EHAM and updated EDDF (AESed of cource). In both cases I had an error with nt.dll.

EHAM: just explore the new scenery, default C172 was parked near RWY.

EDDF: parked at gate A42 after ESSA-EDDF flight and prerared for return flight (MADDOG08 Pro).

The strange thing: in both cases Aeroflot AI contacted to ATC. I checked textures for AI Aeroflot A319/320/321 and no problems was found.

Other sceneries installed: some of Aerosoft releases from ESSA to LPPT, UK2000 Xtreme series, Cloud9 ENBR, FSDT Swiss ports, FlyTampa, EFHK by FISD, maybe anything else. Also installed custom Europe mesh ans separate Alps mesh.

So. Oliver, how I can locate the problem? And what can cause that CTDs?

I will check all of AI aircrafts departing/arriving EHAM and EDDF. What next?

[EDIT]

Can anybody hint me how to use Filemon in Win7 x64 Pro?

• 2 weeks later...

Oleg,

EHAM is famous for its ntdll issues. I'm having them as well, despite the fact that I haven't had any ntdll-related errors since 2005. I strongly suspect corrupted textures in the scenery's itself.

PM. Drop me PM, since I lost all your contact info after my Yahoo inbox was hacked.

Dimon

Oleg,

EHAM is famous for its ntdll issues. I'm having them as well, despite the fact that I haven't had any ntdll-related errors since 2005. I strongly suspect corrupted textures in the scenery's itself.

PM. Drop me PM, since I lost all your contact info after my Yahoo inbox was hacked.

Dimon

Same here with EHAM... See the scenery support forum for that, not an AES issue at all...

-Paul

PS, Oliver even though FS9 is a 32 bit app you can still make it largeaddressaware and use a 64 bit OS and OOM errors will be a distant thing of the past :wub:

Paul

Hi Oliver,

I still owe you a very big, fat THANK YOU!

Thank you for not having given up on this "g3d.dll"-related CTD with AES until finally having solved it and thank you for your indefatigable effort to help us out with any kind of problem we accost you with! You do by far provide the best service for your clients! THANK YOU

Best regards,

tetiaroa

BTW: if you find a moment of time, i´d be really curious what did the trick with this issue

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have read most of the posting in this thread because recently I also experience OOM's

(FS2004/Win XP x86)

I have a few questions:

• 3GB switch / AES
    Can the 3GB switch be applied without causing issues for AES?
  • Landclass files
    Is there an (easy) way to determine if landclass files reside in scenery folder?
    I have a zillion scenery add-ons and I don't want to investigate each and every one using filemon. That would take ages.
    There must be a faster way (I hope)

Egbert

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have read most of the posting in this thread because recently I also experience OOM's

(FS2004/Win XP x86)

I have a few questions:

• 3GB switch / AES
    Can the 3GB switch be applied without causing issues for AES?
  • Landclass files
    Is there an (easy) way to determine if landclass files reside in scenery folder?
    I have a zillion scenery add-ons and I don't want to investigate each and every one using filemon. That would take ages.
    There must be a faster way (I hope)

Egbert

Hi Egbert,

The second question I can perhaps help with; There is a free software called 'Flight Sim Manager' by Rana Hossain which can almost certainlyt be found in the usual file libraries. Although it is an old software and it's use is 'date limited', I find that it works fine when I simply set my Windows date to somewhere in 2006 ;) There is even a patch somewhere that makes it work without that trick. Anyway, this software can do many many things but of interest here is the ability to scan the scenery folders and identify / isolate / move any landclass files to a special folder just for them...

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Geoff

• 5 months later...

Reviving an old thread <g>

Same problem for FS9 at Eiresim EIDW

From Eiresim Dublin 2009 manual :

Known issue

Some people have reported issues with the landclass regarding possible memory

leakage, if you find you are having a problem please delete the following files in

the Eiresim\EIDW\Scenery folder:

• Dublin.bgl

• Navan.bgl

Oliver one question after reading this very useful thread.

When I have a memory leak due to landclass file(s) in folders having texture subfolder, FS9 in window mode and I minimize FS9 in taskbar the memmory used by FS9.exe goes from say 300~500 Mb (rising slow or fast depending on case) down to ~60Mb. Then when I remaximize the window from taskbar I get memory used in the region of 100~150 Mb and then it starts adding again from that upwards.

Does this mean that any memory consumed due to leaking by LC files or something else is reset (parsed) and starts adding leak from start or is this a wrong statement ?

Windows XP SP3 (running in 3Gb option for FS9)

FS9.1 (4GB patched)

PS: Did you manage to find the leaking file (even though its small) in Sochi 2007 scenery listed at the top of this thread ?

• Developer

Does this mean that any memory consumed due to leaking by LC files or something else is reset (parsed) and starts adding leak from start or is this a wrong statement ?

I never test that, but it is possible, that the Engine will release all memory related to the 3D window, when it is minimized.

PS: Did you manage to find the leaking file (even though its small) in Sochi 2007 scenery listed at the top of this thread ?

Sorry, it's long ago and I don't remember yet.

• 9 months later...

The first thing I'd like to say is "thank-you" for developing AES. I've used the program with a lot of success over the years. I've read this entire post 2 or 3 times and so I'm going to start by running the program aimed at trying to pick-up problems related to landclass and missing textures or calls for textures/effects that aren't there.

I want to confirm a couple of things because the posts here a bit dated. I'm a FS9 W7-64 bit user, but I also dabble in FSX occasionally, although not with AES................yet.

1) Is it still necessary to start the sim at an AES airport if you're flying between airports where one does not have AES functionality?

2) Has there been any discussion to a review of textures within the AES folder. I'm no expert and I'm guided by the knowledge of many other posters including the developer of AES who frequently helps here, but I have noted that there are several DXT3 files in the AES texture folder that have no alphas and are not mipped. This can lead to problems but I'm still reading more to try and understand the process more clearly. I downloaded the latest version of AES this morning, and still find the same DXT3 textures in the texture folder after install.

3) My understanding is that FileMon is no longer downloadable but instead users are automatically pointed to a new piece of software that I believe does the same thing. Someone else posted for help in terms of use of the program. I appreciate its not AES, but I wondered if there was any insight as to its use.

Looking forward to the activation of Fly Tampa Montreal as part of the AES family. OOMs, CTD's are frustrating to say the least, but I truly appreciate your support in helping understand our own sim's better and in the process, helping us to understand AES.

John

Archived