Ooms, Ctds And Maybe More ...

I have Martinique and Guadalope. Notice they have no LC folders.

Quick question Ollie. Would they be loaded (Mart&Guad) when flying near Boston?

Interested in your little wayward LC file utility.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have Martinique and Guadalope. Notice they have no LC folders.

Quick question Ollie. Would they be loaded (Mart&Guad) when flying near Boston?

Interested in your little wayward LC file utility.

With FS, one can never tell. Monitoring FileMon I have seen FS load files from sceneries in New Zealand and Australia while flying in Europe! Frankly spoken, FS simply sucks. But then again...we just can't go without it...next time someone starts telling you about how misterious women are and that we will never really understand them - tell him about our Flightsim. And laugh histerically.

With FS, one can never tell. Monitoring FileMon I have seen FS load files from sceneries in New Zealand and Australia while flying in Europe! Frankly spoken, FS simply sucks. But then again...we just can't go without it...next time someone starts telling you about how misterious women are and that we will never really understand them - tell him about our Flightsim. And laugh histerically.

Hey MeatWater, thanks for the laugh. :lol: My granddad used to say "men should understand one thing about women, and someday I hope I will".

Also, I'm a big fan of yours Mr.MeatWater, back in your old Nascar4 sound pack days and the sounds you did for the retail BOB. Amazing stuff!

When guys like you and Oliver talk about computer stuff I listen. ;)

Your old pop was a wise man :lol: Thanks for remembering all that old stuff!

FS is indeed very unlogical in many ways. You tear off a hair from your butt, and the eye starts to water...

The easiest Test to check, if a area is critical, you can do the test I have done:

1) download and unzip Filemon into a directory and make a link on the desktop for easy start.

2) Save a default flight in FS with Cessna, clear weather, AI traffic off

3) Start filemon, go to Volumes Menu and select the drive of your FS

4) Apply a filter like this:

include = FILE NOT FOUND

exclude = .fx;.CAB;.agn;uteur

(the uteur is to exclude UTE, so if you have other UT maybe change or add that)

Now, jump via Goto Menu to a Airport, where you want to check the area, then check if you see

FILE NOT FOUND events, where the Path is the Addon Texture directory and the Filenames are very long numbers like 012121103311011Su.bmp or in this schema: 058b2su2.bmp

Both indicate, that a Landclass file in the addondirectory looks for BMPs not available in that local Texture dir.

When you leave the fs at this position and only monitor the filemon, you will see that this events are happens every some minutes, even when you don't touch the FS.

When you open the Taskman and check the virtual memory in the processpage for the FS9.EXE, you will see that the memory grows every loadcycle.

You know, when I set the filter like this I get no hits at all on filemon. Yet I always get a crash approaching EGLL in PMDG 747-400. The error always returns pmdgoptions.dll as the culprit.

You know, when I set the filter like this I get no hits at all on filemon. Yet I always get a crash approaching EGLL in PMDG 747-400. The error always returns pmdgoptions.dll as the culprit.

Try "NOT FOUND" as opposed to "FILE NOT FOUND". Using NOT FOUND has given me such a staggering amount of hits that I don't even know where to start in trying to fix them. It also seems, as someone has already pointed out above, that FS9 loads sceneries from all over the place, even if your plane is nowhere near them. Good luck to us in trying to figure out the logic in that.

Hi guys,

I'm also a fs9-user with the f*** OOM-probs! :rolleyes:

In my case Filemon shows the neverending loads of the following files:

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\006a2an1.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\006a2an7.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\025b2an1.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\025b2an2.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\025b2an3.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\025b2an4.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\025b2an5.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\025b2an6.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\025b2an7.agn

There are also several loads of files relating to the Sochi2007-Freeware-Scenery:

FS9\Addon Scenery\Sochi 2007\Texture\006A2Su3.bmp

FS9\Addon Scenery\Sochi 2007\Texture\007b2Su6.bmp

At both errors the file texture.cab is alternately displayed to one of the files above ... :blink:

Can anyone tell me which addon(s) these files belong to? Thx for helping! :)

The agn type files are autogen files.

They belong to a scenery that you installed.

It's hard to say what scenery, but most probably a photoreal one.

Photoreal sceneries often have autogen files set on the photo-based ground textures.

By the way I also have Sochi installed and I do not have the above files.

I would suggest uninstalling the scenery and then checking FS with Filemon.

If everything goes fine, install it carefully again. Looks like something is mixed up there.

Best regards,

Rafal

The agn type files are autogen files.

They belong to a scenery that you installed.

It's hard to say what scenery, but most probably a photoreal one.

Photoreal sceneries often have autogen files set on the photo-based ground textures.

By the way I also have Sochi installed and I do not have the above files.

I would suggest uninstalling the scenery and then checking FS with Filemon.

If everything goes fine, install it carefully again. Looks like something is mixed up there.

Best regards,

Rafal

Thx Rafal for your reply!

Do you have any ideas how to find the guilty scenery, which is seeking the autogen-files? I think the only way is to deactivate all sceneries and reactivate them bit by bit while checking Filemon ... <_<

It's good to know that Sochi 2007 is running plenty on your system ... I will reinstall the scenery and check for possible Errors. But I've checked the Installer for the two missing .bmp-Files - they are not included! So I caught the Files once again from the publisher-website, but even in the new downloaded Scenery are the files not included! :blink:

Try "NOT FOUND" as opposed to "FILE NOT FOUND". Using NOT FOUND has given me such a staggering amount of hits that I don't even know where to start in trying to fix them. It also seems, as someone has already pointed out above, that FS9 loads sceneries from all over the place, even if your plane is nowhere near them. Good luck to us in trying to figure out the logic in that.

The strange thing is, I took the filter off, except that I unchecked log successes. I got nothing at all. When I recheck log successes, it shows a few "NOT FOUND". I don't get it...

In my case Filemon shows the neverending loads of the following files:

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\006a2an1.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\006a2an7.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\025b2an1.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\025b2an2.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\025b2an3.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\025b2an4.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\025b2an5.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\025b2an6.agn

FS9\Scenery\World\Texture\025b2an7.agn

I also get a lot of these, very possibly the same ones (I'm almost sure of it). But I have NO IDEA what's calling for them! How the heck do I find out?!?

Hi,

for the missing Textures at Sochi:

Copy them over from Scenery\World\texture\

006A2Su3.bmp, 006A2Wi3.bmp, 006A2LM3.bmp, 006A2Hw3.bmp, 006A2Fa3.bmp

Same thing for 007b2su6. You will also need the corresponding Wi, Hw, Fa, LM

Jan-Paul

Hi,

for the missing Textures at Sochi:

Copy them over from Scenery\World\texture\

006A2Su3.bmp, 006A2Wi3.bmp, 006A2LM3.bmp, 006A2Hw3.bmp, 006A2Fa3.bmp

Same thing for 007b2su6. You will also need the corresponding Wi, Hw, Fa, LM

Jan-Paul

Thx Jan-Paul for this hint! :D

Thx Jan-Paul for this hint! :D

The only issue with using NOT FOUND as a filter is that a lot of times after the NOT FOUND will come a SUCCESS on the same file... You have to differentiate between a file really not being found or it being found in another cycle or even another location. So you have to weigh the NOT FOUND against SUCCESS to get an accurate interpretation.

-P

• 3 weeks later...

To be frank, I'm a bit shocked at this gaffe by some scenery developers. This has been a known issue with FS9 for some time (placing a landclass BGL in with texture folders causing memory leaks).

• Developer
To be frank, I'm a bit shocked at this gaffe by some scenery developers. This has been a known issue with FS9 for some time (placing a landclass BGL in with texture folders causing memory leaks).

Not correct, only when you use default BMP. Landclasses with custom BMPs must have a local TEXTURE folder, but in this case, they must have all used BMPs (for all seasons) there.

But your your are correct, this issue is discussed and explained long time ago, but maybe not every developer (maybe many) have not read the related discussions. More and more sceneries (mostly freeware) can be identified now with such a problem. I don't wonder, that "hardcore" simmer who collect sceneries get in trouble now.

• Developer
Let me ask this then Oliver.

Is it fair to say that if FS9 has no scenery causing memory leaks then we will not see an OOM error?

Let me ask you:

Is it fair to say the addon generates OOMs, when there are several scenery with memory leaks are installed on you PC, where the destination Addon is not responsable for?

I nevery say, that you have to deinstall you scenery. But there are many addons outside, which bring your PC in the situation to collect memory on flighttime, this is not "technical" needed. Then it is not a FS, Aircraft or Mega Airport problem, when you get OOMs

When you have a clean installation, you can have 1000 addons scenery installed and all works fine.

I know, that the enduser is not able to detect, which addon generates problems and which not, so we are working to find a solution to provide tools to do that. But it's not easy and very complex, so we don't have it yet.

I also don't want to say, that every CTD or OOM is based on this situation, but in cases, where the developer don't find anything and not everybody is reporting same problems, it is a high chance that the memory leak problem is responsable for that.

• 5 weeks later...
Let me ask you:

Is it fair to say the addon generates OOMs, when there are several scenery with memory leaks are installed on you PC, where the destination Addon is not responsable for?

I nevery say, that you have to deinstall you scenery. But there are many addons outside, which bring your PC in the situation to collect memory on flighttime, this is not "technical" needed. Then it is not a FS, Aircraft or Mega Airport problem, when you get OOMs

When you have a clean installation, you can have 1000 addons scenery installed and all works fine.

I know, that the enduser is not able to detect, which addon generates problems and which not, so we are working to find a solution to provide tools to do that. But it's not easy and very complex, so we don't have it yet.

I also don't want to say, that every CTD or OOM is based on this situation, but in cases, where the developer don't find anything and not everybody is reporting same problems, it is a high chance that the memory leak problem is responsable for that.

Hi Oliver

I agree, I don't thinks is anything to do with the addons. I used a program that could align my scenery files and I have chance my pagefile/virtual memory. I had never seen an OOM after that ;) I use 4 GB duel ram on XP OS.

Frank

Go til Avsim and search for "SceneryAlign" and use it to clean up your scenery files. Then check the pagefile/virtual memory.

I'm pretty sure all SceneryAlign does is renumber the scenery entries in scenery.cfg in accordance with their position in the file (I've been using it for years). It's a tool for quickly moving entries up or down the list of precedence, I don't think it has any other "magical" properties :) I don't think it's a cure for any OOMs, unless yours were caused by the entries in scenery.cfg being out of sequence. Not sure there's a causal relationship between the two though.

I'm pretty sure all SceneryAlign does is renumber the scenery entries in scenery.cfg in accordance with their position in the file (I've been using it for years). It's a tool for quickly moving entries up or down the list of precedence, I don't think it has any other "magical" properties :) I don't think it's a cure for any OOMs, unless yours were caused by the entries in scenery.cfg being out of sequence. Not sure there's a causal relationship between the two though.

yeah, maybe I just was lucky :rolleyes: But still no more OOM for me, what ever it caused.

• Developer

Hi,

if there are still users with CTD on the approach to AES supported airports, please try to download the new AES 1.98a installer Here, which is just updated.

I found two bugs, which could be a reason for the CTD's, when AES will go active. It's possible, that this is not fixing all issues, but please try it.

Archived