I Am Rejoining My Fs Adventure, Questions Regarding Hardware

EICAS

The projects you have in store for us, and the already released products, is one of the reasons why I wish to rejoin this whole FS experience.

I wish to ask you(aerosoft and/or its users) for your advice regarding hardware:

I wish to build my self a PC(I won't be doing the actual work, a company will) forces me to think about, what my new PC must be made up of, so that it can work wonders with FSX.

Now what should I focus on? I want to have it, yet I don't want to go bankrupt ;) So how should I prioritize my spending?

I will be happy to post my intital sketches, but I would like to get some advice from you first, and then post a suggested system?

I really hope you have not grown tired of posts like these, and that you will find the time to help me out :rolleyes:

Yours truly

Boaz

Hi, good choice to come back to FSX ;)

Basically what I would recommend is a big CPU quad core if possible and overclocked... If you can go for 3 gigs of ram or 4 (in that case get Vista 64 bits).. And for the graphic card I have a 8800 gts which works fine...

For the hard drive you can get the Western Digital 640 giga which is quite fast...

Those where my two cents :P

Hi, good choice to come back to FSX ;)

Basically what I would recommend is a big CPU quad core if possible and overclocked... If you can go for 3 gigs of ram or 4 (in that case get Vista 64 bits).. And for the graphic card I have a 8800 gts which works fine...

For the hard drive you can get the Western Digital 640 giga which is quite fast...

Those where my two cents :P

Thank you for your reply.

This is what I have thought about purchasing, any comments?

* Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 Case

* Thermaltake Toughpower 700W PSU

* ASUS P5N-D

* Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core 4x2.66GHz 12MB

* Coolermaster Hyper TX2 Fan

* Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz

* 250GB 7200RPM SATA II

* 500GB 7200RPM SATA II

* Samsung SH-S203 20x DVD RW LightScribe Black SATA

* nVidia GeForce 9800GX2 1GB

* Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium (64-bit)

* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Now the options I have are numerous, www.powerc.com offers me several options for my rig, but some that I have considdered are:

1) Coolermaster Cosmos S Case instead of the '1000' case (40£ more)

2) Corsair 1000W Power Supply Unit , instead of 700W (75£ more)

3) MSI P7N Diamond MoBo, which has the newer 780i chip but is 100£ more!

4) Corsair XMS2 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, which gives me 4GB RAM more (60£ more)

5) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATAII 10,000RPM Hard Drive, instead of the 500GB 7200RPM HD (145£ more)

There are numerous other options for CPUs, graphic cards and HDDs, but these are the ones I am considdering.

Now do you have any advice for my setup? Anything YOU would prioritize differently?

Last but not least, what kind of performance can I expect my proposed rig to give me, when flying FSX?

Many thanks

Boaz

Hi,

I wrote a reply yesterday, but I think I forgot to post-it...

So basically I was saying the 8 gigs of ram is useless...

That the velociraptor is a good choice if you can afford it... Install Vista 64 on your other drive and keep the velociraptor for FSX ;)

Concerning the psu, I have something like 550 W and everything works fine. So the 700W will be more than enough ;)

For the speed of FSX it will depend on where you fly. In example, if I fly a twotter mission in Alaska, I get constant 24 fps locked mode.

But if I take the Wilco A320 from Heathrow X than my FPS is more like 15 FPS...

Where will you be flying ?

Hi,

I wrote a reply yesterday, but I think I forgot to post-it...

So basically I was saying the 8 gigs of ram is useless...

That the velociraptor is a good choice if you can afford it... Install Vista 64 on your other drive and keep the velociraptor for FSX ;)

Concerning the psu, I have something like 550 W and everything works fine. So the 700W will be more than enough ;)

For the speed of FSX it will depend on where you fly. In example, if I fly a twotter mission in Alaska, I get constant 24 fps locked mode.

But if I take the Wilco A320 from Heathrow X than my FPS is more like 15 FPS...

Where will you be flying ?

Thank you, this type of advice will help me prioritize, my spending ;)

I will mostly be flying the PMDG from Sim-Wings' Heathrow to and from fsdreamteams Kennedy or O'Hare airports. And with AI :unsure:

Just writing this make my hands shake, because with my current rig, I cannot even fly VFR in FSX.

Boaz.