Fsx: E8500 Or Q9450?

manu

Hi all,

I choose this forum to ask this question since your (scenery) addons (like Heathrow X and Budapest X) are the most FPS consumers I own.

I am going to build a new computer and I would like to know which of the two processors from the tittle above will run faster in FSX without any overclock. The graphics card will be a 280GTX and 4GB DDR3 as RAM over VISTA64.

Thanks in advance and keep the very good work you are doing!!

Maybe this is not the answer of your question, but I would suggest to buy ATI 4870. It's a lot better and cheaper. It perform a slight lower than GTX280 but if you think about it the memory is only 512 and the price is around €220 (here in Europe). If you get it CrossFire it will out perform GTX280 with the same price of GTX280 or maybe cheaper.

Crossfire wont make the slightest bit of difference in FSX though, just remember that before spending money on 2 cards in the hope that it will improve frame rates in FSX.

As for processor, i'd go for the Quad core processor every time as FSX can make use of all 4 cores.

Crossfire wont make the slightest bit of difference in FSX though, just remember that before spending money on 2 cards in the hope that it will improve frame rates in FSX.

Wht makes you say that? Not even the useage of 2 cores is totally balanced. SP1 implemented that useage after the developers screwed up in the original release.

The quad is much more expensive than the E8500, which sells around 230 Euros in most parts of Europe. And the performance gain will be minimal.

As for processor, i'd go for the Quad core processor every time as FSX can make use of all 4 cores.

I was referring to all games not just FSX.

SP1 didn't enable SLI/Crossfire at all, It added the ability to use multicore CPU's, not GPU's. If you have 2 low performance cards then crossfire may help a little, but don't expect 2 4870's to make much difference at all in FSX.

If i was going for a Quad right now I'd get the Q6700 or Q6600 as they are far cheaper than the 9450 and only about 7-10% slower.

And the performance gain will be minimal.

Again this isn't true either, a quad core makes a massive difference to loading times and helps with stutter free flying, especially when flying over photo scenery products, and I'm not just plucking this info out of the air, I am a scenery designer and beta tester for a well known British photo scenery developer.

Hi all,

I choose this forum to ask this question since your (scenery) addons (like Heathrow X and Budapest X) are the most FPS consumers I own.

I am going to build a new computer and I would like to know which of the two processors from the tittle above will run faster in FSX without any overclock. The graphics card will be a 280GTX and 4GB DDR3 as RAM over VISTA64.

Thanks in advance and keep the very good work you are doing!!

The E8500 Wolfdale runs at stock 3.16GHz so yes the E8500 is faster then the Q9450 Yorkfield which runs at stock 2.66GHz fs loves speed the faster the better I personally would get the q9450 and overclock it to 3ghz but if you don't want to overclock it then the 8500 is good eventually we would have to upgrade again when the new intels are out it just never ends lol.

I can only recommend the Q9450 as most games and applications are going to add support for multiple cores. The Q9450 can be easily overclocked to 3.2 without getting any higher temperatures. I run mine at 3.4 with minimal VCore increase. Even FSX will benefit from Q9450.

Thomas

Well i have an E8500 now for quite some time 24/7 at 4.2 Ghz and FSX is very hungry for, not only duo cores or quads but FSX love "fast" CPU's, A faster CPU like a duo core can push higher ( FPS ) than a quad running a lower speed.

With the new serie of CPU coming real soon i think better get a cheap E8400 which can give you easy 3.8 GHZ, a quad right now is a little bit of a waste if you want FPS .

So quantity doesn't mean better but faster is what count the most right now.