Aes Reports Scenery.cfg Problems

Every time I run the AES help 'Activation of airports' tab, assuming I have installed a new airport scenery into FS9 in the interim, I get a message that there is a problem (with the layers) in the scenery.cfg file. I let AES repair it automatically, as suggested, then rerun FS9.

Fine, but since this happens every time I have installed a new airport I can only assume that FS9 isn't installing new airport sceneries correctly in the first place? Is it a known issue that FS9 creates errors in the scenery.cfg file like this every time you add a new airport (never come across this mentioned in any forum before)?

Should I run AES airports installer every time I add a new airport (this AES error message after new installs of all airports, not just AES enabled ones); is this error really going to produce problems, as the AES dialogue box says? I assume I shouldn't just ignore the AES warning box, though I never noticed any problems before AES installer picked up on and corrected these errors in the cfg file. (It's very clever of it to do so, whatever!).

I should say, I have never really found out (and I have searched online) what the layer= line in the scenery cfg file does. It bears no relation to the priority order in the scenery library,

Martin

• Developer

Hi,

AESHelp takes care, that the Entry for AES Basepack is allways in top of the List in the Scenery Library. That is needed, because AES must be higher then every Airportscenery it is servicing, so it can exclude parts of the scenery. The LAYER= in the scenery.cfg is the order of the sceneries in the list: higher layer, higher prio (topmost in the list)

When you install a new scenery (manually or via Installer) it will be at the top position in the list, as long as you don't start AEShelp. The first time you start AESHelp after that, you will get the message, that AESHelp will correct the order, that's worked as designed.

Oliver,

Thanks, but it's not that. When I install a new scenery to FS9 I always then move it down the scenery list to an 'appropriate' position. AES is always at the top slot in the scenery library. I then restart FS.. The next time I run AES airport activation, I get the message about errors in the scenery.cfg file.

The number shown in layer= bears no relation to the order shown in the scenery library itself. For instance, my 'Default Terrain' entry is shown as layer=1 in the cfg file, though it's way down below all my add-on scenery in the scenery library. I have AES basepack as the top-most entry in the scenery library, but its entry in scenery.cfg shows as layer=871, area.827..

Martin

• Developer

Hi,

the aera ID and the Layer ID are two different things:

The Area ID will be increase every time you add a new entry to the scenery.cfg (installer/FS Menu).

The Layer is the order of the Prio. When the FS reads the Scenery.cfg it set the scenery with the lowest layer number at the lowerst position of the list.

When you move the the scenery in the list, the FS will change the layer, not the area ID.

I have know idee, what the FS is doing, when the layer are not in a howlless row, but I think he can handle that. Only when you have two entries with the same layer ID is could gernerate problems. That is, what AES will check. In this case it will write the layerIDs new to prevent problems. In the case of same LayerIDs in two entries, AEShelp will give the lower ID to that entry, he has read first in the list.

I don't know where the problem with this same Layers is gernerated, but not in AES. When you have installed a scenery with installer, start/stop the FS one time, before you change anything in the order. As the FS will allways write a newscenery.cfg when you have changed the order in the list, it is important to restart the FS one time to get all in the scenery.cfg.

Hi, Yes I always restart FS9 after installing a new scenery, and now check that the entry has registered OK in the scenery.cfg file. I can in fact start and close FS any number of times after a new installation, AES will always report an error in the file when I run airport installer. I let AES correct it, then, as I say, things are OK till next time I install a new scenery.

The question really in my post was if anyone knew why this error is occurring - it is, I know, nothing to do with AES (in fact I now run AES as a tool to correct the cfg file each time I make an addition, even if it's not an AES airport). Why should FS always produce a faulty scenery.cfg file in the first place? Is this a problem anyone else has noticed?

Martin

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I think that this topic maybe is my problem too.

I bought a new computer, and I have installed my aircrafts and sceneries and when I installed AES, it doesn't connect with FS2004, first I thought it was because of vista but it says that it runs with vista too, so when open it says that exists two scenry.cfg and it will connect with virtual store but then it says that it couldn't connect with the virtual store and I can't connect it with FS2004 is it my problem or of the computer or FS2004 problem. I have also removed one CFG that said SCNERY.OLD and now it doesn't appear the problem but I still can't connect with FS2004

Cheers

João Mourinho

• Developer
Hi

I think that this topic maybe is my problem too.

I bought a new computer, and I have installed my aircrafts and sceneries and when I installed AES, it doesn't connect with FS2004, first I thought it was because of vista but it says that it runs with vista too, so when open it says that exists two scenry.cfg and it will connect with virtual store but then it says that it couldn't connect with the virtual store and I can't connect it with FS2004 is it my problem or of the computer or FS2004 problem. I have also removed one CFG that said SCNERY.OLD and now it doesn't appear the problem but I still can't connect with FS2004

Cheers

João Mourinho

You primary problem is, that you install the FS in the default directory C:\Program Files, so the Userprotection for this directory is active. That will bring you in problems all over the FS, not only with AES. The best solution is to install the FS to a other partition (D:) or if that is not possible to a other directory outside C:\Program files, like C:\FS2004

Then you will have not the problem, that files goes to the virtual store.

When the FS is installed below C:\Program Files, AESHelp must start in the ADMIN Mode to be able to handle the files in the virtual store. But Vista will not allow the communication between a Program running in Adminmode and another running in normal mode (in this case your FS)

The only possible way to get the communication to work in this case is to start the FS in Admin mode too, when you want to set the aircraft parameter.

But the better way is to move your FS