Elevator And Elevator Trim Problems

macwino

I’m having real problems with the Hughes’s elevator and elevator trim settings. I’m not sure if the problem is with my flying skills, my yoke and throttle setup, or whether this is just typical of the plane.

In short, I just can’t seem to trim the plane for a steady climb, steady descent, or level flight. I’m also finding the elevator to be very hard to manage, which, when combined with the trim problems, makes the plane very, very hard to control. I’ve not encountered this with any other plane. The only way I can comfortably fly the plane is with the autopilot, and I doubt this is what was intended - and it’s no fun to boot.

When I try and manually fly the plane, I’m finding it very difficult to avoid wide fluctuations on the VSI unless I rigidly control the yoke 100% of the time. I know not to follow this gauge too closely. But I’ve never seen fluctuations this extreme. For example, it can go from a 2000 fpm climb to a 2000 fps descent almost instantly - and I’m not aware of having made any control or power inputs that would have led to this descent.

I’ve tried fiddling with the fsuipc slope adjustments for the elevator and the elevator trim - something I’ve never had to bother doing with any other plane - but I can’t seem to come up with any combination of settings that make any difference. I also activated the “filter” option in fsuipc for the elevator and elevator trim axes, but this didn’t help either. (I was hopeful this would help because it smoothed out problems I was having with the prop axis on the Hughes.)

At this point, I’m at a loss of what to do. Has anyone encountered similar problems? Or does anyone have any ideas for resolving them?

Thanks, Robert

Hi Robert

Once ready on the runway, look down in the cockipt to the left. Tere is a chain that moves when You trim the H-1.

Ensure that the length of both side of the chain is the same before starting - this is neutral trim.

DON´T touch the autopilot !!

Now take off and watch the chain - does it move ?

If not climb without trimming - also look on the stick in the virtual cockpit - when You hold Your own joystick steady, the virtual stick should remain steady too (or at least not move much).

Re-check that the chain hasn´t moved.

Now try to make some uptrim and wach the chain. It is easy to check the trim setting by the two chain length's relative position to each other.

As You said, the VSI should not be used to set Your climb / descend value.

Be aware that the need to trim is extremly dependent on Your airspeed. Try to fly at a constant speed and play around with the trim settings.

There might also be a problem with You joystick, since the H-1 closely follows the FSX SDK.

Pleas report back - don´t give up :)

Finn