H1 Pet Peeve Violated?

Glennc

I haven't been able to do a full manual engine start on the H-1 since I bought it - until tonight. I think Aerosoft has violated my Pet Peeve 123/c/4/t. Thou shalt provide a battery/generator/avionics switch in any aircraft that needs it. In this case, I always start from a complete cold and dark config. The engine won't start that way unless I use the shortcut I defined for the battery for just this kind of case. If I flip my hidden battery switch, I can start the engine and all is well. So, did the real H-1 (either version) have a battery?

In aircraft.cfg, I will change electric_always_available = to 1. I think that will handle it for my purposes.

I realize the FS GPS in the cockpit is very unlike the real airplane. However, since I added it, I did my first cross country with it. The distance was about 180nm. The battery died, and with it, the GPS about 90 miles out. I killed my imaginery battery.

<_<

Glenn

I haven't been able to do a full manual engine start on the H-1 since I bought it - until tonight. I think Aerosoft has violated my Pet Peeve 123/c/4/t. Thou shalt provide a battery/generator/avionics switch in any aircraft that needs it. In this case, I always start from a complete cold and dark config. The engine won't start that way unless I use the shortcut I defined for the battery for just this kind of case. If I flip my hidden battery switch, I can start the engine and all is well. So, did the real H-1 (either version) have a battery?

In aircraft.cfg, I will change electric_always_available = to 1. I think that will handle it for my purposes.

I realize the FS GPS in the cockpit is very unlike the real airplane. However, since I added it, I did my first cross country with it. The distance was about 180nm. The battery died, and with it, the GPS about 90 miles out. I killed my imaginery battery.

<_<

Glenn

Did You change the default startup situation ?

When You has loaded FSX and are in the Freeflight menu what does it read ?

Aircraft: Airtrike

Weather: Fair

Time: XXXXXXXXX (system time)

Their seems to be some cold and dark mods out there. Be aware that alot of 3'rd party addon aircraft may have difficulties with those.

With the default startup situation I have no difficulties starting it.

Check:

1: Parking brake on

2: Set fuselage fuel selector to both

3: Avionics switch on (On the right side of the magneto switches)

4: Both Magnetos on

5: Mixture full forward (Tend to be at fuel cutoff position when the H-1 has loaded)

6: Propeller RPM full forward

7: Open Throtthle one inch

8: Wobble pump until above 4 PSI (9 strokes makes 4.5 PSI)

9: Click on starter (no need to hold)

Please report back if it helps.

Finn

<_<

Glenn

Define a shortcut for the alternator and turn on the alternator after starting the engine (the alternator is also not modeled explicitely and is not switched on with the avionics switch or the battery shortcut). Alternatively use CTRL+E wich automatically activates the alternator after engine start.

Regards,

Juergen

Finn,

I start in Free Flight, Default C172 G1000 at my home base - KADS, fair weather and system time.

Check list complete as you describe. Raising "start" does nothing. I have ctrl-B set to "Battery" - if I begin with that, Step 0 on the checklist, the engine starts.

Juergen,

I'll set that up if I haven't already. If I had remembered that in flight last night, I would have been OK.

What are your feelings on the aircraft.cfg change? I have set it up but haven't had time to test it yet. That's tonight's mission. I think I've had to do that on other airplanes recently.

Thanks for keepin' on keepin' on

Glenn

Finn,

I start in Free Flight, Default C172 G1000 at my home base - KADS, fair weather and system time.

Check list complete as you describe. Raising "start" does nothing. I have ctrl-B set to "Battery" - if I begin with that, Step 0 on the checklist, the engine starts.

Juergen,

I'll set that up if I haven't already. If I had remembered that in flight last night, I would have been OK.

What are your feelings on the aircraft.cfg change? I have set it up but haven't had time to test it yet. That's tonight's mission. I think I've had to do that on other airplanes recently.

Thanks for keepin' on keepin' on

Glenn

Hi Glenn

When You shift from that Cessna 172 with the battery switch an alternator switch set to on - to the H-1, then battery and alternator also is set to on - on the H-1.

Otherwise there is something very weird going on. Something out og our hands, cause these values are untouched in the H-1.

Please - please PM me and I will send You a startup situation to test for the H-1.

Finn

Finn,

Will do on the PM-

On leaving switches on in the simulator: I would get really upset if someone left those switches on the on real airplanes I rent. I learned a long time ago in the service that you fight as you train. So I deliberately leave everything off on my default flight. Hence my pet peeve on the subject. In this case, if the real airplane doesn't have a generator and battery and I simulate getting propped or the crank turned with Ctrl-E, that's OK, I guess.

Glenn

Hi Glenn

When You shift from that Cessna 172 with the battery switch an alternator switch set to on - to the H-1, then battery and alternator also is set to on - on the H-1.

Otherwise there is something very weird going on. Something out og our hands, cause these values are untouched in the H-1.

Please - please PM me and I will send You a startup situation to test for the H-1.

Finn

The Aircraft.cfg change looks like it does what I want - not quite perfect but its enough to make me happy.

Glenn

I can state only again wait Finn applied:

Please do NOT use any of those Cold and Dark mods. The H-1 comes with its own implemented Cold and Dark routine and that could lead to conflict with external software mods.

So you simply can load the H-1 and choose if whole engine starting procedure should be applied or for the more convinient guys STRG+E for an automized engine runup.

Stefan

I´m sure that no pop-up panel for the battery and alternator will be made .

It´s simply against the concept of the H-1 - keeping it as authentic as possible.

There are only 2½ deviations from this concept:

1 -The fuel gauge (the real one had no fuelgauge, but merely transparent fuel lines inside the cockpit)

1 -The electrical starter (the real one had no electrical starter, but was hand crancked)

½ -The hydraulic gear retraction system on the Racer (on the Racer it was retracted by hand crancking)

And as the case is with addons from other vendors, there must be stated that for proper function of the H-1, either the default startup situation must be used or You must enter the sim with the default Cessna 172 allready started with all systems running.

Kind regards

Finn