Bell 205 Huey

• Deputy Sheriffs

After a short look into the manual, I'm getting more and more intested in flying a helicopter. I never tried the default ones and due to the lack of space under my desk, I have not and will not have separate rudders, only a Logitech extreme3D, that somehow can simulate a rudder by rotating the stick.

So, does anybody have experience in flying a helicopter without separate rudder?

Sorry, I know it's a little bit OT :rolleyes:

No question is a stupid one nor OTT. At present I use a twist grip for Heli's and all I can say is it takes a little bit more practice and patience to get used to.

After a short look into the manual, I'm getting more and more intested in flying a helicopter. I never tried the default ones and due to the lack of space under my desk, I have not and will not have separate rudders, only a Logitech extreme3D, that somehow can simulate a rudder by rotating the stick.

So, does anybody have experience in flying a helicopter without separate rudder?

Sure...........it's somewhat challenging :lol: , that said, it's certainly possible to do and I'm only using a X-52. I'd suggest having a go at a few of the helicopter missions for a laugh; they're actually pretty entertaining after you've got the hang of it. In fact, the flying and navigating parts are really very easy (once you get your controller into a comfortable position) and the take-offs are not that hard to do nicely either.......................but the landings, well that's something else altogether :blush:

• Aerosoft

No question is a stupid one nor OTT. At present I use a twist grip for Heli's and all I can say is it takes a little bit more practice and patience to get used to.

James is right. It's harder but certainly not impossible.

I don't have a rudder pedal set under my desk, seems to scare potential business partners who want to buy professional stuff, lol.

Just had a look at the manual.

Maybe I shouldnt have done that because now I wanna fly that bird:P

Any update regarding the bug you mentioned?

Kind Rgds, Patrick

I am curious what you mean by shrinking customer base Finn

Fact is that the more complex addons get, the fewer will buy them.

Well initially You can sell a very complex addon, but some people who bought it would drop out, cause they never figure out how to uses it.

I have been a flight simmer since FS 5.1 and seen how addons has developed.

I have also seen how new releases has become more and more rare.

If You know how it was in the FS98, FS2000, FS2002 and FS2004 days, You will know that there where alot more addon developer, both freeware and payware.

I could walk into my local computer games shop and find ton of titels for FS.

Theses days are over.

Developers and developing / publishing companies has become fewer.

Aerosoft has been able to keep releasing new titlels in a steady flow.

The secret is probaly that they also cover the real niches within FSX, like older less known aircraft like the Hugehs H-1, Glider X and now the Huey, as well as scenerie areas less known, like Iceland, Antarctica etc.

So while the community shrinks, addon publishers/developers become less, Aerosoft has been able to "take over" alot of these customers.They don´t become billionairs from those titles, but rather lives from "many small steams becomes one large river".

Thats why addon output at Aerosoft has been able to increase.

But overall for flight sims, I think that I´m right saying that there is a decline in releases and customer base.

When Aerosoft also focuses on other sims, like Rise of flight, jet thunder, rail sims etc..

It´s simple a sound way to look into the future.

FSX has now 5 years on it´s back. Though it probably has some years to live yet, it definitly will loose more and more interest over time.

So aerosoft has to find new additional ways to keep going.

Then some migth point to MS Flight, but nobody knows yet what it will become.

Signs are that it won´t be a open source platform, meaning that making addons for it will become very difficult and requie MS to approve each addon and have them implement it into the sim.

Historically seen MS has lost interest (or seemingly) once a new version of FS has been released. Just look on the number of patches that has been done for the various versions of FS and to what degree they actually fixed known bugs and issues.

This is just my personal view.

Finn

Well initially You can sell a very complex addon, but some people who bought it would drop out, cause they never figure out how to uses it.

I have been a flight simmer since FS 5.1 and seen how addons has developed.

I have also seen how new releases has become more and more rare.

If You know how it was in the FS98, FS2000, FS2002 and FS2004 days, You will know that there where alot more addon developer, both freeware and payware.

I could walk into my local computer games shop and find ton of titels for FS.

Theses days are over.

Developers and developing / publishing companies has become fewer.

Aerosoft has been able to keep releasing new titlels in a steady flow.

The secret is probaly that they also cover the real niches within FSX, like older less known aircraft like the Hugehs H-1, Glider X and now the Huey, as well as scenerie areas less known, like Iceland, Antarctica etc.

So while the community shrinks, addon publishers/developers become less, Aerosoft has been able to "take over" alot of these customers.They don´t become billionairs from those titles, but rather lives from "many small steams becomes one large river".

Thats why addon output at Aerosoft has been able to increase.

But overall for flight sims, I think that I´m right saying that there is a decline in releases and customer base.

When Aerosoft also focuses on other sims, like Rise of flight, jet thunder, rail sims etc..

It´s simple a sound way to look into the future.

FSX has now 5 years on it´s back. Though it probably has some years to live yet, it definitly will loose more and more interest over time.

So aerosoft has to find new additional ways to keep going.

Then some migth point to MS Flight, but nobody knows yet what it will become.

Signs are that it won´t be a open source platform, meaning that making addons for it will become very difficult and requie MS to approve each addon and have them implement it into the sim.

Historically seen MS has lost interest (or seemingly) once a new version of FS has been released. Just look on the number of patches that has been done for the various versions of FS and to what degree they actually fixed known bugs and issues.

This is just my personal view.

Finn

Thanks Finn, that makes sense.

I have come to really respect Aerosoft not only as FS developers but as a business.

I thought Mathijs interview on FSBreak was the most informative thing I have ever heard on the business side of Flight simulation.

I think your point is nicely made, nightsta1ker. FSX is after all a simulation of the real world, and as such, it and any add-ons can only approximate the real world. Notwithstanding my real life experience, I'm far from demanding that any particular aspect of the Huey "nail it" when it's finally released. As with most any FSX aircraft, stock or add-on, the sounds should be different inside vs. at 12, 3, 6, or 9 o'clock outside. I'd expect that too from the Huey. A reasonable approximation, not duplication, is, I think, a reasonable goal for a product of this cost.

BUT, I don't intend to turn my nose up on it if it's not perfect. Good enough is good 'nuff. If most of the sound, most of the flight dymanics, most of the look and feel come out well, I'll be a delighted customer. That, to me, is better than waiting another year (or more) for a little bit more fidelity. I just want to fly and whop whop.

NH90, you're right, I did forget that one.

Brandon, I hope my answer wasn't over detailed. It seems Focha picked up on what I was trying to communicate, and I hope you were able to as well.

I never even asked a question. In fact, I think you are missing my point. My point wasn't that I don't know how a helicopter sounds, and one response to my post in particular really bugged me because it basically said I don't have the knowledge of helicopters to know how they should sound. My point was that if you don't hear the rotors get louder when you increase the collective, especially in a Huey, that is quite pathetic. Yes, you might hear the engine gets louder, but that's not where all the noise comes from. Believe me. I've flown in a few helicopters myself in real life as well as watched them take off many times...up close...from airports.

• Upvote 1

I know it hasn't been released yet but i'm curious if you are going to make a boxed version of this one too or does it stays a download only product? I'll be getting it anyway but i prefer my software to come in a box. Sorry if this question has been answered already but i couldn't find it in the whole thread.

Kind regards,

Wouter

I know it hasn't been released yet but i'm curious if you are going to make a boxed version of this one too or does it stays a download only product? I'll be getting it anyway but i prefer my software to come in a box. Sorry if this question has been answered already but i couldn't find it in the whole thread.

Kind regards,

Wouter

If you check the website and look in the pre-order section you will find the boxed set for the Huey and it's estimated release date.

I never even asked a question. In fact, I think you are missing my point. My point wasn't that I don't know how a helicopter sounds, and one response to my post in particular really bugged me because it basically said I don't have the knowledge of helicopters to know how they should sound. My point was that if you don't hear the rotors get louder when you increase the collective, especially in a Huey, that is quite pathetic. Yes, you might hear the engine gets louder, but that's not where all the noise comes from. Believe me. I've flown in a few helicopters myself in real life as well as watched them take off many times...up close...from airports.

Brandon, in your original post you mentioned the rotor system making increased noise as the power is applied. A few of the developers mentioned ENGINE noise increases with torque. Someone else took your comment about rotor noise and took it to mean blade slap, which in my mind is completely different from just rotor noise as it happens in certain conditions only, like a shallow bank or a shallow descent.

Aerosoft has stated that there will be no blade slap. But I do not think that means there will be no rotor noise mixed in with the engine sound as it increases or decreases with collective. Of course I am speaking out of my butt because I do not have a product in front of me. Untill we have a released product, this is all conjecture as far as I am concerned. I hope nothing that I said offended you as I respect your opinion and also the work you have done designing aircraft.

OK, regarding sound confusion:

Sou N1 RPM increases with power. You can hear this in VC. Also the blade sound gets louder. This is noticeable in VC as well. But there is no g force or controll imput or what ever dependent blade slap sound.

Bests Joachim

Finn

I can understand what you are saying. I sometimes want to fly a very complex aircraft, going thru all the processes to fly the aircraft. Other times I just want to jump in and fly. Maybe integrating complexity and simplicity into one aircraft may temp or settle the desires of both markets. It would seem to be a "win/win" situation. For example, a full FMS, but also a nav/gps button. If you're in the mood to fly the aircraft using FMS, great. If you'd rather use the default gps as navigation, you have that option. Point is, no matter what the consumer wants, they'd have that option with one airplane.

I can understand what you are saying. I sometimes want to fly a very complex aircraft, going thru all the processes to fly the aircraft. Other times I just want to jump in and fly. Maybe integrating complexity and simplicity into one aircraft may temp or settle the desires of both markets. It would seem to be a "win/win" situation. For example, a full FMS, but also a nav/gps button. If you're in the mood to fly the aircraft using FMS, great. If you'd rather use the default gps as navigation, you have that option. Point is, no matter what the consumer wants, they'd have that option with one airplane.

IMO, the problem with this, from a business point of view, is that it takes far, far longer to develop the extra detail and given this is just the icing on the cake for a small percentage of potential customers, that extra time just doesn't convert into profit. Basically, yes some people want the full blown features, but, it's not worth spending the extra time on for a few extra sales.

• Upvote 1

IMO, the problem with this, from a business point of view, is that it takes far, far longer to develop the extra detail and given this is just the icing on the cake for a small percentage of potential customers, that extra time just doesn't convert into profit. Basically, yes some people want the full blown features, but, it's not worth spending the extra time on for a few extra sales.

Yes Paul I can understand the business logic. I also understand that potential stock holders for Bill Gates once thought that a man trying to put all the essential components required to make a computer work into a little box would be far too time consuming and difficult to be profitable. I apologize for the apples/oranges analogy but my point is simply a wish. If developers could get to a point where meshing the two markets (complex/simple) together were as achievable as creating one version, consumers would no longer have doubts as to which product they spend their money on. In time, one would think a developer would create a unity of consumers who spread their knowledge of such products, ultimately creating a monopoly for that developer.

For example, if I knew Aerosoft creates aircraft that include everything I'm looking for, I begin to loose my fear of making a potentially unwanted purchase. I then make most of my future purchases with Aerosoft because I know I'll get what I'm looking for. From there, word of mouth travels from me to the vast amount of fellow simmers Im in contact with. They in turn feel as I do about Aerosoft. In essence, Aerosoft went from having one "potential" customer in me, to having 50 new loyal customers. That's the kind of risk I look for in a developer, but of course I can understand the hesitance from the developer's business point of view.

I personally have spent enough money on products that were far from what I expected, either too hard or too simple, and the plane/scenery just sat on my external hard drive. Now I am very cautious in my search for that next aircraft. Of course, I speak from a consumer point of view with little to no working knowledge of the business side. These are just a few thoughts that I have while "researching" my next purchase.

• Upvote 1

Why does squashed biobug in a post after shit hitting the fan paint such a nasty image :o

Bhwahaaaaa..!!

Well at least we can still laugh under these circumstances. Maybe is is a case of nervous expectation driving us mad.!