Bell 205 Huey

Sound is a bit dynamic. You'll hear N1 RPM changing if you apply collective, but you'll not hear blade slaps in special flight situations.

To not hear more blade slap when you increase collective, especially with a huey, would be a huge mistake! With many add-on helicopters, when you increase collective, the engine gets louder, yet the rotors don't. This makes no sense. When you increase the collective, the rotor pitch changes. Therefor, the rotor sound should get louder.Just watch (and listen to) the video Tim posted above.

• Deputy Sheriffs

To not hear more blade slap when you increase collective, especially with a huey, would be a huge mistake! With many add-on helicopters, when you increase collective, the engine gets louder. This makes no sense. When you increase the collective, the rotor pitch changes. Therefor, the rotor sound should get louder.Just watch (and listen to) the video Tim posted above.

While you may be right about the sound effects in "many add-on helicopters," I disagree with part of what you said about the engine getting louder as pitch is pulled. Or maybe I simply didn't grasp your point as you intended. As pitch is increased on a two spool engine like the T53-L-13, as you no doubt know, more power is applied to the rotor to maintain rotor RPM. The N1 (gas producer) RPM increases showing this, as does torque. Of course there's a limit, induced by the input rating of the transmission or ambient conditions. In the UH-1B/C/D/H (in personal experience in Viet Nam as a crew chief or passenger), on high/hot days, you do a hover check and ensure the N1 at hover doesn't exceed by more than 1% a value prominately posted on the instrument panel. Obviously, more power makes more noise, although it's not that noticeable outside the helicopter.

On a Huey, there are three "noise makers" (not counting swearing by the crew). The prominant one is the main rotor, followed by the tail rotor and then the engine. Just past 3:00 in the video, the non-main rotor sound you hear as the RPM advances from ground idle to flight (324 RPM) is the tail rotor. By the time you get to "light on the skids," from the front you really do hear no engine noise, only the main rotor and the tail rotor. Of course, the tail rotor is at a constant RPM too, but the pitch (and noise) changes as the pilot compensates for yaw due to cross-wind and rotor torque. It sounds like prop noise on an airplane because that's what it effectively is.

On the other hand, if you're sitting in one of the "wells" behind one of the two M-60s, with the transmission screaming at your back and the engine screaming just as loud off your shoulder, you're very aware of the engine powering up. The effect is much less at the pilot seats, but there's still a definite sense of increased noise due to the engine and transmission as well as the rotor system biting harder.

So, not to dispute that some add-ons might portray this unrealistically, but far from all Huey noise is blade slap.

• Upvote 1

Don´t understand the sound problem, copy from another addon and modify if the sound isn´t your´s.:blink: The Dodo206 Sound is really good, try it.

Herman does it to the point. With increasing the collective you change the angel of the blades. Watch your N1 indicators while creasing the collective :blush:

@Herman: You´ve got forgot one sound, the sound of the mastergear inside the Huey :lol:

Let's all be pragmatic here. We all know what Brandon wanted to say and although he doesn't have the necessary knowledge to know if it's the engine or the rotors or if it's blade slap or not what he really wanted to know is if you bring up the collective there will be a change in sound?

Herman thanks for clearing up what are the causes of sound on a helicopter. Basically it works for all conventional helicopters that way, the tail "prop" :P, the main rotor and the engine, obviously depending where you are at you will hear different things, transmission, etc.

I can give you my experience, not a Huey, but a R44, when I am piloting, with doors closed and headsets, I can only hear the engine and the main rotor, being the engine much more noisy than the rotor, when I am outside, the tail rotor is clearly heard, and if there is crosswind you hear it a lot more. Again what I think Brandon asked was if there is a different sound of the main rotor when you pull collective.

So, is it Wednesday? :P

Regards.

One of the most challenging things about developing aircraft for Flight Simulator is that every customer has different expectations. Some want it to fly like an arcade game. Some want hardcore simming. Most of the people on this forum drooling over photos and debating ferociously about the minutest of details are either real helicopter pilots, or aspiring helicopter pilots. There is a tremendous lack of helicopter stuff out there for us to play with that is anything close to accurate. So the fact that Aerosoft has gone as far as they have to please our tiny little niche in the Flight Sim world is very nice. But honestly, some of these requests, if Aerosoft chose to implement them, would put the product back for unreasonable amounts of time, and cost the company money that they might not get back in sales. It's hard to make a living when you have products in endless development to try and make them "perfect" by everyone's standards. Let's just wait untill it is released and see what they brought to the table. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to have all my hard work and endless hours put into a project like this slammed for minor details. Everyone always mentions the Dodo 206 to compare to for quality and accuracy. The Dodo team has been working on their Huey for 4 years with no end in sight. Personally, I will settle for a well done (even if it's not PERFECT) product right now.

Also, they seem pretty proud of their work. When Mathjis stated that he would compare the Huey to ANY existing FSX helicopter we have to assume that the Dodo 206 was on that list. Besides, even the Dodo 206 doesn't sound and act EXACTLY like a real 206. It's pretty damn close, but it's not PERFECT.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I think your point is nicely made, nightsta1ker. FSX is after all a simulation of the real world, and as such, it and any add-ons can only approximate the real world. Notwithstanding my real life experience, I'm far from demanding that any particular aspect of the Huey "nail it" when it's finally released. As with most any FSX aircraft, stock or add-on, the sounds should be different inside vs. at 12, 3, 6, or 9 o'clock outside. I'd expect that too from the Huey. A reasonable approximation, not duplication, is, I think, a reasonable goal for a product of this cost.

BUT, I don't intend to turn my nose up on it if it's not perfect. Good enough is good 'nuff. If most of the sound, most of the flight dymanics, most of the look and feel come out well, I'll be a delighted customer. That, to me, is better than waiting another year (or more) for a little bit more fidelity. I just want to fly and whop whop.

NH90, you're right, I did forget that one.

Brandon, I hope my answer wasn't over detailed. It seems Focha picked up on what I was trying to communicate, and I hope you were able to as well.

You are both right. Not even a million dollar simulator is accurate enough like the real thing. The are a lot of variables in the real life. With more process power we will have better simulations and in the future we will be closer to reality. But will simulation ever be like reality? From my point of view... Not in my life time. :) Smells, vibrations, sounds, views, lights... Jesus... Real flight is awesome. :P But the sim can be the only way we have to fly a Huey. :D Anxiously waiting for it.

Regards.

And if people think they can get more and more realism for the same 20-40 Euro while the customer base shrinks ?

Not to mention Piracy, wich is the biggest killer of all.

Finn

OK, time to open the download channels :grouprespect_s:

Just downloading the Helipack X and installing VFR Germany again.... :D

Maybe the virtual SAR Helicopter can fly this night already!

Rgds, Patrick

And if people think they can get more and more realism for the same 20-40 Euro while the customer base shrinks ?

Finn

And there is absolutely that. Piracy is killing alot of corners of the digital media industry. It is a huge problem with very few solutions.

Finn

I am curious what you mean by shrinking customer base Finn

I am curious what you mean by shrinking customer base Finn

I think he meant that every time they take a step to make the aircraft more realistic, the narrower the fanbase that the product appeals to. Not everyone wants a helicopter that flies like the real thing, as you can maybe see by some of the comments posted here (I read one asking if they can make it fly more like an arcade style heli, which I think is preposterous, but everyone has different expectations and desires). Also, changing the flight behavior of native FSX to get realistic helicopter behavior is incredibly difficult and time consuming. Some of these things that us customers think of as minor details could potentially take months or even years to accomplish. In the meantime, they are losing money because their product is not selling, and in the end, it would appeal to a less broad audience anyway.

Hardcore fans are the hardest to please, and therefore pleasing them would take more time, energy, money etc and then you have only pleased the hardcore fans, not the thousands of other people who don't give a hoot if it handles like a real helicopter or not, and may lose interest due to the enhanced realism that they see as unneccisary difficulty. I have read alot of horrible reviews of the Dodosim 206 because it is too difficult to fly, and that it handles wrong, etc. How many times have I read "I need to add left pedal to keep the nose straight! This thing is garbage!" or something similar.

Sorry gents, we got a 24 hour delay (caused by an bug, stomach bug in fact).

Not that bad, so maybe my new ordered TrackIR 5 arrives from Aerosoft today and I have the configuration ready for the Huey the next day... <_<