Bell 205 Huey

The U.S. Army nomenclature for the pilot's operating handbook is TM 55-1520-210-10, while the maintenance manual is TM 55-1520-210-20. If you do a Google search for "55-1520-210-10", you'll find at least one site where you can buy a .pdf copy for less than $10. I still have my original copy from when I was a Huey crew chief in Viet Nam, and I assure you you'll find all the detail you'll need but for one thing. The odd exception is the intrument panel, which has a one third page photo, a legend and a key. For everything else, there are very detailed graphics, right down to the legends on the circuit breakers. As you note, knowing the scale of the instruments, you should be able to replicate the main panel. The "-10" also has all the normal/abnormal/emergency procedures you could ever want, so it should resolve all your questions.

I have managed get hold of that superb manual so thank you for your help and a great tip. If I could get some basic dimensions of the panel and pedestal I would be well on my way. As one of the other guys have mentioned a problem is dealing with the distortions in the images.

I have contacted Duxford IWM but as yet haven’t received any feedback. If I get the info, I will post it up to help anyone who might be interested.

Thanks again to you and Nick C

Don't worry.

It is only delayed due to the airbus project. Not dead.

We will record internal sounds tomorrow.

That's good news. I got invited over to the IWM Duxford, which was extremely kind; I had full access to their Huey to take photographs and measurements. So hopefully my dream of a UH-1 simpit is a stage closer. I will probably post those details up on mycockpit.org as I don't wish to distract from the topic here too much;)

Please keep us posted on developments and a time scale if possible, I'm sure we all appreciate the effort going into the development and how fluid things can be. How about some nice panel shots so I work on the simpit layout?

Bill

Gents

Being part builder of the 'other' Huey B model I see what Padre is talking about, it is a very difficult area to capture and of all areas on the airframe the one that generally elicits the most passion :).

Rockeyes, good luck with your sim pit, sounds very interesting, regarding manuals and if the board will allow ?, a link here to a site that is very useful, not only for the Huey but other aircraft and helicopters of the Vietnam war, not only aircraft manuals but also historical data and operational information to make your experience more pleasurable, you don't always have to pay for this information, many sites offer it for free and are often sponsored by governing bodies. Here is the link http://www.virtualarchive.vietnam.ttu.edu/starweb/virtual/vva/servlet.starweb if that does not show the list I intended then just type in 'aircraft manual' or 'helicopter manual', there is an awful lot of information here. IWN Duxford are generally very accommodating, I had a similar experience with the Westland Wasp, a donation to the required box opened many doors, literally. They really do work very hard to preserve history.

Flight dynamics, best of luck chaps LOL, been there done that, FSx is better than FS9 but still woefully below the fidelity of fixed wing sim flight, many things cannot be done or are smoke and mirrors, but FSx does allow module options to allow flight envelopes to be expanded, so good luck and best wishes there.

If any of the above contravenes site policy then please feel free to edit or delete, I'll climb back into my hole now LOL.

Sincerest

Michael

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that A320 is being delayed, I'm guessing Huey will also have to wait longer. It'd be a real shame to see it get buried under all the other new projects announced recently. :wacko:

This has absolutely nothing to do with the new projects.

While we had no coder for the Huey for a long time due to the Airbus, we also had no for the new announced product. All you can see there is the 3d model, right? Thats it. Times changed. Customers want system depht and high end 3d models. Not only 3d models. So in these days the modeling is sometimes faster than the system coding.

The new announcements will not affect the older ones.

Bests, Joachim

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on development? Perhaps a vague estimate of a completion date? (not set in stone, of course) I'm really looking forward to buying the 205! It's got to be my most anticipated add-on in a long time.

Any news on development? Perhaps a vague estimate of a completion date? (not set in stone, of course) I'm really looking forward to buying the 205! It's got to be my most anticipated add-on in a long time.

I can't answer your question specifically, other than to say that those involved are as (frustrated?) anxious as you are to enact progress.

I will defer to Joachim/Mathijs to provide an "official" update...but as you can see from Nick C's pix, the 3D (exterior) model is incredible and as Joachim has stated, just about complete.

• 4 weeks later...

As soon, as there is progress. -Promised!

To all bad things happaned to this project there is the fact that it is vacation time at the moment, and most designers and coders are simply not available.

I am confident, that we can give at least an update on progress end of this month.

Bests Joachim

• Upvote 1

As soon, as there is progress. -Promised!

To all bad things happaned to this project there is the fact that it is vacation time at the moment, and most designers and coders are simply not available.

I am confident, that we can give at least an update on progress end of this month.

Bests Joachim

Fine, it´s time for more shot´s wink.gif Can I make my X-Mas notice?

• Upvote 1

Fine, it´s time for more shot´s

Like Joachim said, when they have something... biggrin.gif

The other projects are completed, and work has restarted on the Airbus. When that's released, work will resume on the Huey.

• 2 weeks later...

post deleted because the poster has no idea what has been happening in this project (for example it does NOT use pure MS FSX flight models)

• 2 weeks later...

This has absolutely nothing to do with the new projects.

While we had no coder for the Huey for a long time due to the Airbus, we also had no for the new announced product. All you can see there is the 3d model, right? Thats it. Times changed. Customers want system depht and high end 3d models. Not only 3d models. So in these days the modeling is sometimes faster than the system coding.

The new announcements will not affect the older ones.

Bests, Joachim

I read that you don't plan to create a Search And Rescue (SAR) Version.

But maybe you have some time to do this now, since the 3d-model is almost finished and you can't work untill you have a coder?

What do you think about it?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...