Aes Issue

Oliver,

I hate taking you away from development work, but I have an issue.

I have a new system that sadly comes with vista installed.

When I start up aes, I get a screen that says: aes has detected a SCENERY.CONFIG in the virtual store! This can generate problems with the scenery.

I push ok, and it goes away.

When I try to add airports, including free ones, I get: add-on scenery not found or not active. Please install or activate in the scenery library first.

I installed, and activated all my add-ons (e.g. limc) and cannot get the credits to work.

I checked kord, egll, and they work just fine with no problems.

P.S. I am using fs9.1, and aes as administrators, as this was the only way to get o'hare to activate.

Thanks. :D

• Developer

Hi,

Vista is a problem, but your primary problem is, that you have installed you FS in the default directory below C:\Program Files. Would you use a differnet Driveletter or a directory like c:\FS9, this problem would not be present.

Ok, let me explain what appens:

All software installed below c:\Program Files is protected by the Vista OS, so that all files written from this application are not stored direct in the Directory, where the software is installed. Vista will redirect the files to a "virtual Store".

When you add scenery per installer (like the most payware), the installer runs in a "admin modes" (you have to agree to this normally) and so this files where written direct to C:\Program files .... and also the Scenery.cfg in the FS Maindirectory is changed.

When you add a Scenery (like freeware) per hand in the Scenery Library via the FS, this will gernerate a change of the Scenery.cfg, but not in the C:\Program.. directory, Vista will gernerate a Scenery.cfg in the Virtual Store.

When you use the FS, the FS will read the file in the Virutal store from this point. When you later install a Scenery via installer, it could happen, that the installer adds his entry to the Scenery.cfg in the C:\ drive, but not in that file, the FS will read in the virtual store. Effect: The scenery will not be active, when you start the FS.

As AEShelp can't see, which one is the correct version and where are the "better entries", I will not move the files down the the c: drive as I do it with the AES files itself.

In the Explorer Window of Vista, you have a link in the header of the window, which must be called "Compatibily Files" or so in english version. When you open the FS Main Directory under c:\Program files with the explorer and you on this "Compatibility Files" Link, you see the files store in the virtual store and there the Scenery.cfg.

Make this file for Move and go back to the FS Maindir on C:\.. and move this files there.

This you must do everytime you have changed something in the Scenery Library.

When you then start AESHelp the message is gone and he will find all your sceneries, because he read the correct file.

Btw: You will get another problem, when you try to configure your aircraft with AEShelp: The AESHelp application can't connect to the FS in this configuration, because AEShelp is running in ADMIN MODE (it is different from only start with admin user), but you FS is running in normal mode (even when you start it as admin user). Vista will protect the communication between two application, when they not both run in the same mode.

As a workaround you only can run the FS also in admin mode, when you want to configure your aircraft. To do that, click the FS icon with the right mouse button, go to properties -> Compatibility and check the "run in admin mode" checkbox in the lower part of the window.

The next time, when you reinstall your FS on Vista, select a different installation directory, like C:\FS9 or better D:\FS9, then you have much less problems, not only with AES.

Thanks Oliver. :)

If I understand correctly, the best thing to do is just uninstall fs9, and reinstall in D, and away from C. :blink:

I hope I got it right. I will do that tonight, as it seems to be the best way to insure that everything works properly, and without all the extra stuff going on.

• Developer

Yes,

when you want to invest the time, do it, it will not solve every FS problem, but you will not have additational unexpected problems based on the protections of Vista.

When AES is installed on a Vista FS, which is not in the protected area, AES will run in normal mode as it do it on XP. The files are read/write at the place where they should be and the communication between the application should also be no problem.