• Aerosoft
very nice! I really like the "used"-effect!

The green seems to be just a marker-colour for things that have to be textured soon..

well you could be surprised about the way the US liked that lime green (lol).

Now check out these images.... result of the work today. The green has changed a lot right?

post-43-1233944959_thumb.jpg

post-43-1233944977_thumb.jpg

well you could be surprised about the way the US liked that lime green (lol).

Now check out these images.... result of the work today. The green has changed a lot right?

It's starting to look more and more "real", Mr. Kok, and less and less like an early FS2002/4 model... B)

I wonder :unsure: - Are you going to model the "realism" that A2A/Shockwave has (ACCU-SIM) with its vintage models?

If you can I would very much like to see that added; Thanks. :)

• Upvote 1

It's starting to look more and more "real", Mr. Kok, and less and less like an early FS2002/4 model...

I wonder :unsure: - Are you going to model the "realism" that A2A/Shockwave has (ACCU-SIM) with its vintage models?

I find it quite the same level as H-1. I don't know if lot's of more system simulation will be still modeled.

I know the A2A Stratocruiser. But ít´s hard to say how deep or accurate it is relative to what we have implementet on the Catalina.

The Stratocruise had more complex engines, with a combination of Supercharger, Turbocharger and water-injection.

So the Stratocruiser had more engine controls per engine to take care of than the Catalina. The Stratocruiser also had 4 engines, the Catalina two.

What has been implementet and is undergoing tests right now, by the beta team is a failure model that works close to what was done on the H-1, but with some refinements and additions.

Some failures will occur gradually - meaning that the engines will start loosing power before they fail.

We will probably add an option to turn off engine failures alltogether for those who want to use the Catalina without the fuzz of engine management.

So the Catalina will be accesible for all kind of simmers - Casual to hardcore.

Once we have made some more tests, I will come back and be more specific on the various failures with some more indepth description on what happens and how to avoid them...Stay tuned.

Finn

That it´s on the same level tha the H-1 doesn´t mean harder.

Remember that the H-1 had an hardpressed engine, running it´s limits.

The Catalina was a sturdy, reliable workhorse, and so the Aerosoft Cat will be, but offcourse only when operated correctly.

Finn

I know the A2A Stratocruiser. But ít´s hard to say how deep or accurate it is relative to what we have implementet on the Catalina.

The Stratocruise had more complex engines, with a combination of Supercharger, Turbocharger and water-injection.

So the Stratocruiser had more engine controls per engine to take care of than the Catalina. The Stratocruiser also had 4 engines, the Catalina two.

What has been implementet and is undergoing tests right now, by the beta team is a failure model that works close to what was done on the H-1, but with some refinements and additions.

Some failures will occur gradually - meaning that the engines will start loosing power before they fail.

We will probably add an option to turn off engine failures alltogether for those who want to use the Catalina without the fuzz of engine management.

So the Catalina will be accesible for all kind of simmers - Casual to hardcore.

Once we have made some more tests, I will come back and be more specific on the various failures with some more indepth description on what happens and how to avoid them...Stay tuned.

Finn

Thank you Mr. Finn! Looking forward to it... ;)

...Simply incredible paint job. Hats of to the painter(s). I simply cannot wait to the release day.

PS: Mr. FSXAddict - I'm with U; "Bonzi picture [shape] already in there; just need bring out." - Mr. Miyagi :lol:

• Upvote 1

Here are more indepth info on the failures, modelled on the Aerosoft Catalina....

As said previously, the Catalina was a very reliable and sturdy aircraft.

It served under all kind of conditions, from deserts to the arctic.

But the reliability of the engines, requires that the pilot(s) knows how to treat them.

Pilots of that time (as well as today) was trained in how they should manage their engines, and so should You !

Before going further into describing the failures I will emphasize that the Aerosoft Catalina will have the option to select / deselect failures.

If You simply want to be able flying around, looking at the scenery, without the added task of managing the engines, You will have this option.

For the hardcore simmers, or those wanting to become this, we have added engine failures.

I can only urge You to try it out once the Catalina has been released.

It isn´t that hard if You just take Your time reading the manual.

Note: These failures are custom coded done to enhance realism, and NOT part of any default FSX failures !

The following failures are simulated:

Engine failure due to excessive CHT (Cylinder head temperature)

If CHT gets above 260°C (the exact temperature depends on how fast temperature is rising), the engine will fail, cause the aluminium weakens when reaching these temperatures.

During Take off and climb, it is important to open the cowlflaps to keep the engines cool.

You will see that failure is eminent, when power quickly starts to decrease. If You can manage to get the engine cooled down again before it seizes, You might safe the engine. Otherwise it´s dead.

Airspeed is another factor as well as mixture setting. The faster You fly, the better the cooling. Rich mixture also helps cooling.

Engine failure due to excessive oil temperature:

If oil temperature gets above 100°C, the engine will fail. Again the exact number depends on how fast the temperature is rising.

The reason for failure is that as oil temperature increases, the lubrication effect gets less when too hot. Remember that the quality of the oil used at that time wasn´t as good as lubrication oil is today !

The cooling of the oil is dependent on the same factors as the CHT, though airspeed has a bit more effect, cause oil is cooled by an oilcooler. Cowlflaps has less effect, but is still important for proper cooling.

Shockcooling:

Shockcooling happens when a hot engine get´s cooled too fast. This causes the materials of the engines to be cooled down unevenly, wich leads to cracks.

You might get away shockcooling a number of times, but there is a certain risk that something eventually breaks and the engine fails.

To prevent shockcooling - allways reduce throttle input gradually to let the engines cool down slower, especially when engine temperatures are very high.

Cowlflaps should also be opened gradually.

Sparkplug fouling:

If the engines are run with too few RPM´s, the sparkplugs will gradually be sooted and foul.

You will see that the engines starts to loose RPM and run uneven after some time when RPM is below 1000 RPM.

To clear the sparkplugs - add some power to burn the soot away.

If You don´t do that, then the engine will fail, requiering maintance personel to remove the sparkplugs and clean them (In FSX - Re-load the Catalina)

Assure that when idle, that RPM stays above 1000 RPM !

Carburretor Icing:

FSX's own carburretor icing only occurs very rarely (I think I only have seen it once).

Therefore have we implementet a custom carburretor icing routine.

When air is flowing through the venturi of the carburretor, temperature drops. If the air contains moisture and the temperature reaches the freezing point, ice build-up wil occur inside the caburretor. Also the throttle valve can ice up.

To prevent this, aircraft are equipped with carburretor heat.

On the Catalina carb heating is done by diverting the intake air through a heat exchanger, wich simply is a kind of duct around the exhaust, heating the air.

This can be applied gradually by opening a damper. This way the amount of heated air can be controlled.

On the Catalina there are two switches, one for each engine. These switches controls an actuator that opens or closes this damper.

Carb air temperature is measured in the manifold on the Catalina. The carb air temperature gauge will normally indicate a value close to the outside temperature.

The reason it doesn´t show a lower temperature, after having been cooled in the venturi, is that it is heated again by the compression done by the supercharger. This means that actual temperature inside the carburretor is much lower than indicated on the carb air temperature gauge.

On the Catalina, icing can occur at carb air temperature gauge readings below appr. 26°C.

When outside air temperature is below -5°C then icing will selvdom occur, cause the air will be dry.

Carburretor heat should never bee used during take off, since high carb air temperature also reduces engine power.

Only use carb heat when icing is anticipated.

Icing can occur inside clouds (they are moisture) or when visibility is low (less than appr. 20 km).

By opening the carb heat dampers, the amount of heat can be controlled.

Open them to keep an carb air temperature of about 32°C.

Be aware that the temperature, when using carb heat, will change with engine power setting, cause the air heated by the exhaust becomes hotter.

Power reduction due to excessive carburretor air temperature:

Warm air is les dense and contains less oxygen than cold air. This means that as air gets hotter, engine power decreases.

Checking that the carburretor heater works is infact done bu turning carb heat on and then check that engine RPM drops a bit.

If Carb air temperature gets above 50°C, the engines will certainly start to show this reduced power.

So if You use Carb heat, ensure that carb air temperature doesn´t exceed 50°C.

Also be aware that when power is apllied after the carb air temperaure has been set, will increas - meaning that You need to re-adjust carb heat.

Engine vibrations at certain RPM's:

Not an failure, but still something to be concerned about...

When RPM´s are in the region between 1750-1800 RPM or 2450-2550 RPM, engine resonance will occur on the Catalina.

These are RPM regions that should be avoided by the pilot.

This conludes the failures.

But to re-state: The above mentioned failures are optional - if You don´t like them - simply turn them off.

The Aerosoft Catalina X is for all kind of flightsimmers !

Finn

• Aerosoft

BTW, we are looking for a few more testers, people with an eye for systems and gauges are most needed at this moment. Serious folks, we are kicking out all testers that at not active on a weekly base.

[edit] We have enough volunteers now so please don't apply.

wow, that sounds cool!

Even to have the abillity to shut all those features off, is a good Idea in my opinion.

Sometimes, If you really just want to check a new scenery it makes it alot more comfortable.

But Finn, one little question: You say the Engine troubles depend on the time , the temperatures are rising.

So, what did you make more worse, fast or slowly rising of temperature?

And is the time, where the temperature decreases also watched? Because if the temperature just rise a second and fall back directly, there shouldn't be as much trouble like on a slowly climbing temperature, am I right?

Looking forward to check out those engine resonances ;D

I am really looking forward to this, so far the screenshots are constantly making it more desirable..

I have one question: Will you also include any modelling of, and viewpoints from the blisters in the back. I've flown in PH-PBY once with my daughter (guess what her name is...yes, indeed!), and the view from those blisters was just stunning. It would be great if you could include that view as well. I'm also hoping for a paintkit, will that be available too?

Jan Kees

wow, that sounds cool!

Even to have the abillity to shut all those features off, is a good Idea in my opinion.

Sometimes, If you really just want to check a new scenery it makes it alot more comfortable.

But Finn, one little question: You say the Engine troubles depend on the time , the temperatures are rising.

So, what did you make more worse, fast or slowly rising of temperature?

And is the time, where the temperature decreases also watched? Because if the temperature just rise a second and fall back directly, there shouldn't be as much trouble like on a slowly climbing temperature, am I right?

Looking forward to check out those engine resonances ;D

The faster the temperature rise the quicker the engine will die.

Infact tempertures on an engine doesn´t "peak".

It takes time to heat up that mass - so how quick is fast - well everything is relative ;)

But If You let the temperature rise too fast, the various parts of the engine will also heat up more unevenly, making failure occur faster.

Finn

I am really looking forward to this, so far the screenshots are constantly making it more desirable..

I have one question: Will you also include any modelling of, and viewpoints from the blisters in the back. I've flown in PH-PBY once with my daughter (guess what her name is...yes, indeed!), and the view from those blisters was just stunning. It would be great if you could include that view as well. I'm also hoping for a paintkit, will that be available too?

Jan Kees

Sorry Jan !

No view from the blister...

The reason is, that we then would have to model the rear compartment and that would drag down FPS to a level where only those with very fast systems would have fun.

Internally the Cockpit will be fully modelled and the radio panel will be partly modelled - simply necessary to keep FPS up.

Finn

The faster the temperature rise the quicker the engine will die.

Infact tempertures on an engine doesn´t "peak".

It takes time to heat up that mass - so how quick is fast - well everything is relative ;)

But If You let the temperature rise too fast, the various parts of the engine will also heat up more unevenly, making failure occur faster.

Finn

ok, thanks, that makes sense to me =)

daily update...

next will be the complete texturing of wind shield wiper motor (btw, it is REALLY cool to hear that one in FSX) and the green of the top hatches.

Such a pity there's no rain or spray on the windscreen in FSX! Incredibly real looking Cat, though! Congrats!

Will the damage be held over from one flight to another or will you have a new aircraft everytime you load it? In other words like the Stratocruiser the aircraft is carried over from flight to flight even after you exit FSX and come back the next day the aircraft is in the same state damage or wear.

I hope this will be implemented so that the aircraft carries over from day to day, if so will there be an option to do maintenance on her like the DO-27 or the stratocruiser?

Looking forward to these answers.

Cheers,

kymsheba (mike)

No, damage and wear will not be carried over...

We are not simulating wear of the engine, oil consumption etc.

What we do simulate, is engine damage that normally would lead to serious maintance.

Therefore the Catalina will be freshly maintained each time You load it !

Finn

• Aerosoft
thanks for the info Finn. She is a great looking aircraft you guys should be proud.

Cheers,

kymsheba (Mike)

We done this a few times and it never was a great success. In fact the opposite as it did cause a lot of customer support, people complaining that the aircraft 'did not work' anymore. etc. Bad PR caused by people not fully understanding the product.

We done this a few times and it never was a great success. In fact the opposite as it did cause a lot of customer support, people complaining that the aircraft 'did not work' anymore. etc. Bad PR caused by people not fully understanding the product.

Hey no probs mate i know you can't please everyone and i fully understand, she is a definate on my buy list as soon as she is released and i have the spare cash for her. I can not wait for this.

Cheers,

kymsheba (mike)

Hi DogTailRed2

Thats a probelm with FSX itself. Actually a problem that has existed since FS98 or even further back.

Battery is simply discharged too fast in FSX.

There are two solutions:

Buy a registered version of FSUIPC:

I the Misc. section of FSUIPC there is an option to define how fast the battery should discharge.

The other option is to add this line to Your aircraft.cfg [electrical]:

electric_always_available= 1

This will make Your battery last forever.

If Yous are a beta tester, please juse the beta test forum !!

Finn