This was too good not to post.

Today the prerendering has started. Prerendering means that the textures and the surfaces are prepared so FSX can render (calculate and display) the textures in the sim. This preperendering is not done a lot for FS projects because it demands a lot of skill and is time consuming. It does give however far greater control over the final result. The image shows some surfaces (not in the sim) that are now prepared. Note how the flaked paint has a 3d feel, something that will be even stronger in FSX where the lighting is dynamic and moving all the time. All in all this same shot will look a lot better in FSX because we now know that FSX has one of the best game rendering engines around.

Still on schedule for a late March arrival...

:o:o:o

B):D

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft
That's probably the best-looking 'pit I've seen lately...

It's the best I have EVER seen. We are starting to notice the effect on FPS so from this moment on not a lot more objects will be added and only texturing is done. It's not a fast as the Twin Otter but still very comparable to default aircraft.

OMG!! That is the best VC I have ever seen in FS. The gauges look like seperate entities placed behind the panel just as they should and don't get me started on those cables. I for one am drooling.

OMG!! That is the best VC I have ever seen in FS. The gauges look like seperate entities placed behind the panel just as they should and don't get me started on those cables. I for one am drooling.

Yes those gauges are true 3D entries !

Finn

Yes those gauges are true 3D entries !

Finn

Ah finally proper 3D gauges I was beginning to think that I was only ever going to see the likes of them from the RealAir team.

Well done.

• Aerosoft
Reminds me of the good old manual that came with Combat Flight Simulator 3...looks magnificent, Mathijs! And 360 pages :blink: ...wow!

It's not that I got to type it all, it is in fact a real manual from one of the few flying Catalina's. As real as it gets. And nearly anything in that manual will actually work in the our model.

This weekend all the programming was done to get the CHT, OIL temp and some other varibales right. We decided not to use the things FSX hands us because they are not detailed enough for the engines we are doing.

Could you tell us how much detail will be put into the engine modeling?

Thanks,

LMP

I can tell you that I keep destroying engines if that helps? No? Then you'll have to wait for Finn ;)

Mathijs

I suspect I'm not the first to point this out but there's a typo for the 'Fuel Pressure' item in the check list image you posted today. It has 'Check' spelled as 'Chekc' (unless that's a deliberate copy of the original).

The Catalina is looking very nice - I've been watching and waiting ever since you posted about doing the first version of the Cat. Please send thanks to all your team for the effort they are putting into this.

On a related note, I don't suppose it would be possible to get upgrades for the Twin Otter and possibly the Beaver VCs to the same standard. Their external models are very nice and it would be great if the VCs matched the Catalina's quality. I'd be more than happy to pay for such an upgrade since I spend most of my time in the VC with TrackIR rather than looking at the place from the outside.

Thanks

David

• Aerosoft
Mathijs

I suspect I'm not the first to point this out but there's a typo for the 'Fuel Pressure' item in the check list image you posted today. It has 'Check' spelled as 'Chekc' (unless that's a deliberate copy of the original).

The Catalina is looking very nice - I've been watching and waiting ever since you posted about doing the first version of the Cat. Please send thanks to all your team for the effort they are putting into this.

On a related note, I don't suppose it would be possible to get upgrades for the Twin Otter and possibly the Beaver VCs to the same standard. Their external models are very nice and it would be great if the VCs matched the Catalina's quality. I'd be more than happy to pay for such an upgrade since I spend most of my time in the VC with TrackIR rather than looking at the place from the outside.

Thanks

David

Darned nobody will ever believe me but it's a typo made on purpose. I am old enough to remember typewrites (my daughter asked how the spell check worked on one of those) and I have yet to see a document like this without at least some typo, lol. And you suppose right, we do not plan to revisit those aircraft that deeply. Just makes little commercial sense. We rather start on new projects. Sorry.

• Aerosoft

Thanks,

LMP

It's hard to say how much detail, our main idea is that the engine gauges should play a serious role in your flying. Firewall the throttle and keep it there and your engine will blow up. All the temperatures and all pressures are calculated in special modules, not using the algorithms from FSX. This allows them to be more related and far more realistic. You can foul plugs, blow cylinders because of too high CHT and even get damage due to shock cooling. We do find graphics, sounds and flight model more important then state of the art engine modeling however because they are more important to thevats majority of users.

I can tell you that I keep destroying engines if that helps? No? Then you'll have to wait for Finn ;)

I will wait abit before telling about all the engine failure types simulated.

Beta testing has started now, and we wnat to be sure that things implemented right now works as we like it to.

I think it would be a bummer to reveal a list, only having to tell that most of doesn´t work correct anyway.

As soon as the testers has been acostummed to the engine failure modelling and we start to get feedback on their findings, I will retunr and give more indepth info.

Until that, all I can say is that at present the virtual pilot needs to take engine instrument readouts serious inorder to keep flying a twinengined aircraft ;)

Finn