• Aerosoft

This product is releases at this moment and all information in this topic should be seen as outdated.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

As you might have seen we had to drop the contract with SibWings for the Catalina because they were not able to deliver. After more than a year of delay we decided to restart the project. This will be officially done early next week. Full time development will commence at that time and will not halt before release. [Beta testers, we will restart the beta forum at that time as well, standby] As before we like to involve customers a lot into this project. We'll listen but will not make promises, ok? But like in the original project we will try to be as open and informative about the development, giving you a insight how something like this works.

The models

As before we decided to do 3 models PBY-5, PBY5A and PBY-6. Most likely each model will have a historical and a contemporary version (meaning you will find the 'original' and the version as it flies today) So 5 or 6 models in total.

The Liveries

There will be two liveries for each model, with a paint kit delivered before the release. We might ask customers to help with the liveries.

The Cockpits

There will be two cockpits, one partly historical and one adapted to modern aviation. In both versions the functions of the navigator and flight engineer are merged with the main cockpit, even though this was not the case in most historical models. The reason for this is simple, we want the aircraft to be flyable by a single person, not with a pilot and a flight engineer who has his own compartment. As we will do all in VC, overlaying 2d bitmaps on top of the VC simply looks bad. In reality the flight engineers function was for the largest part monitoring so this is not too bad a thing.

The modern cockpit will have the advanced radios we used in the Twin Otter and a fully functional GPS system. No autopilot.

Overall

As with the Twin Otter, Beaver and other projects it is not our intentions to recreate any specific aircraft but to blend all aircraft we could find into a model to gives the best over all feature set. If you research the Catalina you will find that there is hardly any typical cockpit, even while they were in active service crews used to mount more instruments when they could find them and replace them with other versions when needed. So if we would do one model in full detail it would not be usable for all others. Some of the best known PBYs at this moment are total fakes, PBY-6 models that are painted as PBY-5 Black Cat models etc. There are models that have only been fitted 3 years ago with the typical bubbles on the fuselage, while other currently flying models have the bubbles removed because they are very expensive. Some have smooth noses were gun turrets used to be, on others the turrets where never installed. There is no typical PBY, and that is what makes it so charming.

More information will become available next week. For now I leave you with a sample of the PBY-5 (military) version.

post-43-1211551979_thumb.jpg

Hello Mathijs

Looks very nice indeed. Finally a fun water aircraft for the fs :lol: . Is it for FS9 or FSX or both?

Im interested in being involved to the project if you need any help ;)

Have a nice day and enjoy the lovely weather outside aswell B)

This is very exciting news. I'm glad that both modern and semi-historical versions will be included. Thanks for the open dialogue, too. It makes a difference.

I have two small "wish list" type items for you to consider (understanding, of course, that there are no promises).

The first (which you're probably doing anyway) is that you continue your excellent history of FPS consideration. If this thing is as beautiful and easy on the frames as the Beaver, the Twin Otter, and the H1-B, I'm sure we'll all be very satisfied customers.

The second is that you consider including a fire-fighter with water drop effects. It would make for some great, challenging mission possibilities.

Either way, I'm glad the Cat is coming. It's always been a personal favorite!

Thanks.

Some have smooth noses were gun turrets used to be, on others the turrets where never installed.

You know this won't stop the nose discussion from starting all over again :rolleyes:

I would be happy about the black cat, a modern fire fighter (not sure, is it possible to not only see a smoke effect when the water is dropped but simulate the weight and balance change involved?) and Cousteau's Calypso.

You know this won't stop the nose discussion from starting all over again :rolleyes:

I would be happy about the black cat, a modern fire fighter (not sure, is it possible to not only see a smoke effect when the water is dropped but simulate the weight and balance change involved?) and Cousteau's Calypso.

I would say it takes something like 5-10 posts before this nose thingy starts over again :rolleyes:

The Cat is certainly looking good and Mathijs if you need more beta-testers I would love to join-in    ;)  nudge, nudge, wink, wink

• Aerosoft
Hello Mathijs

Looks very nice indeed. Finally a fun water aircraft for the fs :lol: . Is it for FS9 or FSX or both?

Im interested in being involved to the project if you need any help ;)

Have a nice day and enjoy the lovely weather outside aswell B)

FSX only, sorry for that but we just do not want to be held back by the limitations of FS2004.

• Aerosoft

Black Cat (real one, not that fake PBY-6 they painted black) and Calypso will certainly be included, got to see about the fire fighter.

• Aerosoft
This is very exciting news. I'm glad that both modern and semi-historical versions will be included. Thanks for the open dialogue, too. It makes a difference.

I have two small "wish list" type items for you to consider (understanding, of course, that there are no promises).

The first (which you're probably doing anyway) is that you continue your excellent history of FPS consideration. If this thing is as beautiful and easy on the frames as the Beaver, the Twin Otter, and the H1-B, I'm sure we'll all be very satisfied customers.

The second is that you consider including a fire-fighter with water drop effects. It would make for some great, challenging mission possibilities.

Either way, I'm glad the Cat is coming. It's always been a personal favorite!

Thanks.

Don't worry about the framerates, they will be fine, we really know how to keep those as high as possible.

The Liveries

There will be two liveries for each model, with a paint kit delivered before the release. We might ask customers to help with the liveries.

I know with all of the talented artists that have been watching this bird, there will be a deluge of repaints for it by release time! :)

I know I’m going to try my hand at it! :rolleyes:

Don't worry about the framerates, they will be fine, we really know how to keep those as high as possible.

Thats the reason I enjoy this company's creations sooooo much.Thank You for not forcing

your customers to upgrade after every add on.

Randy

• Aerosoft
Advanced radios but not autopilot, why ? :mellow:

Sorry I was partly mistaken. The old one will have the Sperry AP that is also found in the Hughes H-1 but as far my information goes there is no AP system certified for the Catalina at this moment. We might build in something you can't see though, we'll see.

Guest yrob1917

I'm confused. I was under the impression that "Simware Simulations" was developing the Cat. They have a site here:

http://www.simw.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=d...ls&pid=1866, which says "Catalina The Flying Cat" will be available 17 Jun 2008. I had never heard of "Sibwings" before. I have been waiting since last fall to re-install FSX to fly the Cat when "The Great Catalina Experiment first appeared on this site. Please enlighten me as to what is really going on with this airplane. Thank you somebody.

I'm confused. I was under the impression that "Simware Simulations" was developing the Cat. They have a site here:

http://www.simw.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=d...ls&pid=1866, which says "Catalina The Flying Cat" will be available 17 Jun 2008. I had never heard of "Sibwings" before. I have been waiting since last fall to re-install FSX to fly the Cat when "The Great Catalina Experiment first appeared on this site. Please enlighten me as to what is really going on with this airplane. Thank you somebody.

SimWare is not developer, it's shop ;)

I'm really looking forward to this release! :)

PBY Catalina On YouTube

The movie "Always" has some great footage of the PBY Catalina [EDITED YouTube Link!] ("Vultee" variant - I later saw it for sale in an Aircraft Sales Paper!)

Always (Movie) on Wikipedia

Hope this helps stimulate even more interest in the FS Community! :rolleyes:

GaryGB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Aerosoft

Progress report... as we found a bit too much wrong with the model we had we choose to redo certain parts. It might look in the images that this is major step backwards but it is not, we are very much on schedule at this moment. The engines are now fully remodeled with full detail. Also note the bubbles now can open etc.

Cat_01.jpg

Cat_06.jpg

Cat_04.jpg

Simply: WOW :D

I love the details inside the engine....!

... but I have a little remark about the paint, which I think looks like a cartoon.