Release : Hughes H-1 "special"

• Aerosoft

The H1 is not an aircraft for the person who just started with FS, it is a very detailed an complex simulation of this rather special aircraft and without reading the manual and understanding the systems you will most likely ruin the engine (or not even get it started). Most our beta testers wrecked at least 6 finely tuned engines before they managed to keep them running. Many systems that are automated in aircraft made after the second World War are manual in this aircraft and they will require your attention at every stage of the flight. While complex this also will greatly enhance your understanding of aircraft systems, even those of modern aircraft. With every flight you will learn to tweak a bit more power out of the engine increasing your top speed. In the end the Aerosoft H1 is thoroughbred, capable of amazing things, but only in the hand of the most experienced pilot.

• Superbly researched project, almost an historical document in FS

• Both models (short wing and long wing) versions included

• Flight model based on the actual 1930’s wind tunnel test and NACA airfoil data (we are sure Howard Hughes would appreciate that)

• Extensive modeling of the exterior and exterior of the aircraft in full FSX standards

• Very highly detailed Virtual Cockpit with all parts fully animated

• Detailed and beautifully designed manual

• Low impact on framerate

• Special sound module to include full cockpit sounds (so you hear the wobble pump etc)

• Engine model unprecedented in detail, including fully new developed failure models for shock cooling, fuel pressure, oil pressure, hydraulic leaks and carburetor icing. All of these are unlike anything you seen on other aircraft.

Check the product page for more information !

hughes1_17.jpg

hughes1_4.jpg

hughes1_16.jpg

hughes1_11.jpg

hughes1_6.jpg

May I be the first one congratulating you on this masterpiece. I just made my first flights and already wrecked three H-1s. The first got blown up by applying to much pressure with the handle pump - 'plonk' it said that she was. The second ended in the flora in Dillingham because the beast went wild with me and I could not see where I was heading (taildragger with a long nose). When the tail came up and I could see I notice I was heading towards the trees on one wheel. The third ended in the field (just like the original Hughes) because I killed the engine just a few yards after takeoff and could not make it back glinding.

Here are a few impressions...

630965H1_01.jpg

758544H1_02.jpg

70548H1_03.jpg

720249H1_04.jpg

130264H1_05.jpg

This is just brilliant. The modelling and textures need to be seen to believed and the framerate is indeed at least as good as the Twin Otter's. On my subnotebook (low end for FSX standards) it's even slightly better. The sound is really really great (you're using sound cones? It sounds like it) and the realism ... well killing three H-1s in a row speaks a lot. This is pure joy, haven't had that much fun in a long time!!!

Great great great work!!! :)

P.S.: Forgot to say the manual is really well done and well written with high detail schematics etc. I reall like that. I'll have it printed as a nice A5-format book.

Wow!! A plane I can operate like a real plane with real limits and real (well, OK, virtual) consequences. :)

Absolutely stunning job. Thank you to Stefan and Aerosoft and everyone else involved.

cheers,

steve :)

Well you can have that in the Do-27 too but with the H-1 you get a framerate that has to be seen to be believed. I honestly love that plane. It's so full of little details everywhere and whoever did the aluminuim hull is a damn genius. I've never seen such a believable apperance.

Eye candy top! However I'm not a flight physics nor goggle and leather flying helmet purist so I ask will there be an "easy fly" update or will mine stay in the hangar as I don't do printed out manual on the knee. Having read the forum after purchase I now see that "spot view flyers" like me should beware as this aircraft needs careful nurturing to survive any more than a five minute flight. Caveat emptor rules as always in commerce but I hope to be surprised and see a version I can enjoy.

As it has been clearly stated on many occasions this aircraft was never really aimed at that kind of flyer. This is a fairly advanced cutting edge plane (for its time) that takes a lot of time and dedication to master. But if you stick with it you will reap the rewards.

• Aerosoft
Eye candy top! However I'm not a flight physics nor goggle and leather flying helmet purist so I ask will there be an "easy fly" update or will mine stay in the hangar as I don't do printed out manual on the knee. Having read the forum after purchase I now see that "spot view flyers" like me should beware as this aircraft needs careful nurturing to survive any more than a five minute flight. Caveat emptor rules as always in commerce but I hope to be surprised and see a version I can enjoy.

Eye candy? With a high definition flight model, superbly modeled systems and you call it eye candy?

And of course we made it clear everywhere that this one was for the more experienced simmers, those who like a challenge, those who like to go to the edge. There certainly won't be any 'dumbed down' version because that is totally against the whole idea of the project. But who don't you just read the manual one time and give another shot? When you learn how to fly here she is a total marvel. Agile, responsive and of course every fast. Sure it is not a Cessna, but when you wanted a Cessna you would not have bought this one right?

Eye candy? With a high definition flight model, superbly modeled systems and you call it eye candy?

And of course we made it clear everywhere that this one was for the more experienced simmers, those who like a challenge, those who like to go to the edge. There certainly won't be any 'dumbed down' version because that is totally against the whole idea of the project. But who don't you just read the manual one time and give another shot? When you learn how to fly here she is a total marvel. Agile, responsive and of course every fast. Sure it is not a Cessna, but when you wanted a Cessna you would not have bought this one right?

I wasn't keen being rubbished for liking eye candy and that sort of response is not a good commercial move I think Mr. Kok.

I bought the H1 because the visual model, especially the vc seemed unmatched and I stand by that. A misunderstanding in another forum led me to believe that there were 2 levels of realism which would have suited me as I fly mainly in spot view and do not personally find gauge watching entertaining.

Kind regards,

Roger Law (admin at The Old Hangar).

I would say you both misunderstood each other. Mr. Kok only stated that it has been said everywhere for god knows how long that the H-1 is a no compromise plane and cannot be flown without having an eye on the gauges. It was not meant as a critic of loving eye candy. I love eye candy myself. However I appreciate the realism of the H-1. But you should hardly critisise the fact that the H-1 is what it is. The Alphasim Gee Bee may be more your style then.

The two levels of realism you speak of have never been told of outside SOH. What you hear and read there is hardly first hand and should have been treated as what it is ... Chinese whispers.

Anyway I must say the H-1 grows on you. The more I spend time with here the more I like here. Today I printed the manual, higher quality then I usually do using extra expensive paper. It looks really classy now. Time to read now. I managed to complete a flight today after eight wrecks. I finally flew a round of about 10min over Oahu and made it back in one piece.

551538H1_06.jpg

231967H1_07.jpg

I don't have a dog in the fight, however I will say what I feel on this.

I understand your disappointment with the plane, and I read the article in question... however in Aerosoft's defense, they did not make any illusions on their official web page or postings signifying this. The fault is unfortunately strictly in your hands. That being said, you can turn this patch of lemons into lemonade if you take the necessary time to learn how to fly the plane as it was meant to be flown.

What greater challenge than to learn how Mr Hughes flew the plane? The visual eye candy and the challenge of mastering the plane may give you a greater appreciation for what was accomplished, and a great appreciation of the visual model and a fine plane to view the scenery. Checking the gauges for proper use only takes a quick scan and any proper adjustments if necessary, thus it still leaves a considerable amount of time for you to enjoy the scenery. On top of this all, the plane has a functional (albeit quite old) autopilot. Once the plane is set up properly for cruise with the Sperry autopilot on, you should be able to cruise at leisure while enjoying the visual model and scenery.

If this however is not to your liking, then I apologize. You are sorely missing on a very unique experience of which many here, myself included, highly appreciate. Asking Aerosoft to produce a model which has been set specifically for your liking would more than likely not be cost beneficial when compared to the development time to do so. Perhaps if the community at large sees like yourself then there might be some change in a future patch.

I would like to emphasize I do not officially speak for Aerosoft or their design decisions in this matter.

As pretty as this bird is from the outside, it's got such an incredible VC that it's hard to imagine spending a minute outside it! And honestly, having had a couple of trips around the circuit now, it's not that hard to manage the engine. Just watch the key instruments and don't cook or freeze the mill and you'll be fine. Luckily for me, I learned to fly for real in an old 172 with carb heat, so reaching for that knob when throttling down for descent is second nature.

What an absolutely stunning re-creation! Kudos to Stefan and Aerosoft for a job supremely well done.

Just a quick note:

VERY NICELY DONE!!!! The Hughes H-1 has been a long time favorite of mine for many years now and the detail of this aircraft sets again new standards!!

While I haven't purchased or flown very much in FSX....... This has brought new wonderment to my flightsim obsession.

Bravo to Aerosoft and the entire team for a job very nicely done. Unfortunately I just started a business trip and will only be able to dream of this beauty for a couple of weeks.... but I did get a very nice flight in from Southern California to Denver before leaving earlier today. Enjoyed every minute of it...... now I will have plenty of time where I can read the rest of the manual while I'm stuck in the hotel. (smile)

Thanks Team!!

Most Sincerely,

Steve

Just a quick note:

VERY NICELY DONE!!!! The Hughes H-1 has been a long time favorite of mine for many years now and the detail of this aircraft sets again new standards!!

While I haven't purchased or flown very much in FSX....... This has brought new wonderment to my flightsim obsession.

Bravo to Aerosoft and the entire team for a job very nicely done. Unfortunately I just started a business trip and will only be able to dream of this beauty for a couple of weeks.... but I did get a very nice flight in from Southern California to Denver before leaving earlier today. Enjoyed every minute of it...... now I will have plenty of time where I can read the rest of the manual while I'm stuck in the hotel. (smile)

Thanks Team!!

Most Sincerely,

Steve

There is a document on the H-1 product page describing a Transcontinental flight I did whilst beta testing the H-1, flying the same route Howard Hugh did in 1937.

Finn

Finn - Already downloaded it and rest assured I will fly that route.... probably many times most likely. (smile) I've always enjoyed the long haul flights in Golden Era aircraft and the Hughes H-1B is the perfect aircraft for me.

Cheers!!

Steve

I wouldn't normally link to a competitor's site, but I hope you understand why I do so this time...

I saw that a purchaser at another online shop we all know has posted a personal quick review of the H1. I think what the reviewer has to say is good and would like to share it in the hope that the original poster is happy with me doing so.

Here is the direct link to his review: http://secure.simmarket.com/product_review...roducts_id=2968

I don't run FSX myself yet, but more and more it is getting difficult to stay with FS2004, particularly when considering some of the recent releases. In total agreement with the poster, well done to Aerosoft for bringing out something different, and making it look SO good as well! The VC looks AMAZING! Real immersion factor there...

Andrew

• 1 month later...