Simflyer Kln90b & Kln94 Installation Question

NomadRider

Given the problems that I have had with Trimble GPS in the Cheyenne, I decided to upgrade to the Simflyer GPS-SX package. I have added the KLN90b, KX155 and KMD 550 to my panel per the cfg files that I found per the link here: http://www.fs2000.org/panel2k/news.asp?id=1119 The gauges loaded perfectly and I think it looks great, but I cannot figure why the GPS will not couple with the AP while on a flight. I have a flight plan loaded and while on a heading that will intersect the flight plan and the NAV ARM mode selected, it never couples to the GPS after intersecting and crossing the flight plan. The plane just stays on the current heading that I have selected. Does anyone know if there is something additional that I need to do so that the AP will couple with the GPS? I tried both the KLN90b and KLN94 and have problems with both. At first I thought it might be the GPS package, so I included the KLN90b and KLN94 into my Aeroworx King Air and it worked like a charm.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Hello John,

Have you tried assigning the GPS/Nav switch in the control assignments and then try changing it through the keyboard to see if it then follows the GPS assigned route.

Shaun,

I will try that later this afternoon and get back with you. I also posted something similar on the Digital Aviation forums and I got a similar response.

Thanks,

John

Shaun,

I added the GPS/NAV button to one of my joystick buttons and that did not help the problem. I saw the light on the panel changing between VOR/GPS but it still did not couple the AP to the GPS while intercepting the flight plan.

John

Shaun,

I added the GPS/NAV button to one of my joystick buttons and that did not help the problem. I saw the light on the panel changing between VOR/GPS but it still did not couple the AP to the GPS while intercepting the flight plan.

John

What you need to do is to replace our NAV/GPS gauge by a default one. (The Trimble is not based on FS' GPS engine and thus doesn't use the default GPS mode).

What you need to do is to replace our NAV/GPS gauge by a default one. (The Trimble is not based on FS' GPS engine and thus doesn't use the default GPS mode).

OK. Is there anyway that I can keep the actual look of the buttons entact, but somehow replace what the switches do in the panel.cfg file? I am one that hasn't done a lot of panel editing, so forgive my ignorance.

John

OK. Is there anyway that I can keep the actual look of the buttons entact, but somehow replace what the switches do in the panel.cfg file? I am one that hasn't done a lot of panel editing, so forgive my ignorance.

John

No, sorry. I think that won't work (in a non-complicated way).

OK, I have tried both the "Cessna!Nav GPS Switch" and the "Money20F7!swgpsnav" from both the default Cessna 172 and also the Carenado Mooney M20J and replaced every "DA!PA31SYS!NGPS" entry on the IFR/VFR panel. The VOR now will couple when crossing the flight path, but the GPS still doesn't couple. Thanks for the help. And Yes, the Mooney switch is "Money20F....". I did a double take when I first saw that.

John

OK, I have tried both the "Cessna!Nav GPS Switch" and the "Money20F7!swgpsnav" from both the default Cessna 172 and also the Carenado Mooney M20J and replaced every "DA!PA31SYS!NGPS" entry on the IFR/VFR panel. The VOR now will couple when crossing the flight path, but the GPS still doesn't couple. Thanks for the help. And Yes, the Mooney switch is "Money20F....". I did a double take when I first saw that.

John

You know what John, after our 'other' correspondence, you may also have to use a 'third party' AP also. The default may also be coupled with the Trimble. I use a Friendly Panel AP over the Cheyenne default, and I'm sure I did this for a reason.

I have not flown the Cheyenne for some time now, but may take it up for a spin and see that is the case.

The GPS avionics in this aircraft are all tied to the Trimble in GPS navigation, and work outside the FS SDK format, thus all navigation aids associated with, and tied to the Trimble may have to be 'broken'/replaced.

Brian,

Thanks for the help. I think I will try the Simflyer KFC225 on the secondary panel where the blank coverplate is located. I will try that tomorrow.

Thanks again,

John

Brian,

Thanks for the help. I think I will try the Simflyer KFC225 on the secondary panel where the blank coverplate is located. I will try that tomorrow.

Thanks again,

John

I'm flying the Cheyenne right now, and it has taken a while, but I'm remembering what I had to do, and also how the AP works. Even with a third party AP, you still have to use it similar to the default (with all its quirks), i.e. the yaw damper has to be selected, it will only work at a certain elevation, you must select your target altitude, then select the VS separately (as the default altitude selector still exists, but I simply do not use it, but the functions on my 225 instead), etc.

One thing you will lose is the plan feature on the weather radar, as that feature was also linked to the Trimble, but the weather radar still works fine.

Flying from Quad Cities to Denver Rocky Mountain, linked solidly to my GPS, and holding altitude....all is good so far ;)

I will try it tomorrow and get back to you. Too late to start messing with panel.cfg files. I will screw it up I am sure.

John

P.S. You flew right over my house on your flight as I am about 60 miles west of KMLI (Quad Cities).