Aerosoft Heathrow 2008 Missplaced

PinkPony

Hi,

I have been buying Aerosoft add-ons since over 2 years and have always been happy with the products and support. But one scenery really gets me pretty upset. Heathrow 2008 really is a great scenery by the way its textures and buildings were designed. But the runways are missplaced!

I fly payware aircraft like the PMDG 744, LDS 763 etc. etc.

On the PFD (primary flight display) i get a offset from the runway by 2°-4°, this meaning visually i am straight on the runway but the PFD shows me i am off the heading. A while ago i thought this was the AIRAC cycles from navigraph, but after a quick email to them i knew what the issue was. This is either the annual magnetic variation that is followed by new AIRAC updates but with outdated AFCADS this will creat misalignments on the PFD. The other option is when scenery designers simply ignore the real position/heading of the runways and so with a up tp date AIRAC once again the runways our misaligned in the PFD.

Shaun Fletcher was very kind in sending me a AFCAD i thought would solve the issue, but what this AFCAD did was change the ILS localizer/heading so it would be aligned with the airports runway as some people were complaining about this issue. But still on the PFD the runways are misaligned. By simply checking the newest heathrow ILS27R chart i could figure the heading on the ILS for the localizer is 272° but when flying at heathrow 2008 and being fully aligned with the loicalizer my PFD shows me a heading of 274°. This means the runway is off its real life postition by 2° to the right. Same goes for the 27L/09R runway, but the exact misalignment i have not checked yet.

My only real concern is that when i arrive after a 12+ hour flight from HKG on my 744 i have issues with the alignment of the runway as the STAR route for 27R when being followed by the autopilot over LNAV will bring me onto the real heading of 272° and not 274° like the runway is placed. This creates a lot of issues for the approach, and only a little fix would be necessary.

I know the majority of you fly with freeware aircraft without PFD's etc. but simply adjusting the runways to their real heading would be a small job and really make the scenery perfect! Then all sides would be happy.

Is there anyone from Aerosoft aware of the issue yet? Or other simmer aware of it? Just take the PMDG planes or LDS 763 for a approach on 27R for example and see for yourself.

I hope a update for this can be made!

Sincerely,

Leonardo Calzoni

I know the majority of you fly with freeware aircraft without PFD's etc. but simply adjusting the runways to their real heading would be a small job and really make the scenery perfect! Then all sides would be happy.

I wont say anything about the possible mis-alignment of the runways as I am not able to check that at this moment, but why do you think changing the heading of those runways would be a small job?

I do a llittle scenery design myself in my spare time and in my opinion this would not be as simple as you would think... The runways are integrated in the underlying satelite photos, turning these runways in any direction would mean a rather large job for the developer afaik ...

I wont say anything about the possible mis-alignment of the runways as I am not able to check that at this moment, but why do you think changing the heading of those runways would be a small job?

I do a llittle scenery design myself in my spare time and in my opinion this would not be as simple as you would think... The runways are integrated in the underlying satelite photos, turning these runways in any direction would mean a rather large job for the developer afaik ...

I am only involved in adjusting AFCAD's once in while and so i am not fully ware of how complicated it really is with the whole satellite layers. But i am sure for scenerey developer like sim wings/aerosoft this can be no big re-design, but simply a fix to a mistake in the scenery!

Leo

I also do scenery design and work with Photoscenery and Artificial runways. It is very difficult to place objects in the correct locations without something being out of place so a few degrees out is something that the developer chose so the runway didn't look bad. A runway at a different angle to the photoscenery would look very odd.

It would be a huge job to adjust the photoscenery underneath the objects because it would affect all the buildings, hangers, runways and effects.

Hello Folks,

This is a reply I got from Thorsten regarding this issue.

So I'm afraid that there is really nothing that can be be done about it, its seems that this is a compromise within FS9.

Hi Shaun,

I?m just abroad taking airport pictures of paris:-) but i?ll try to answer

it:

There is a bug in FS9 that gives you different headings. For instance when

using a perfect AFCAD RWY heading of 270° it will

be shown different in the aircraft (+/- 4°) when slewing EXACTLY down the

RWY centerline. In London this bug is quite extreme,

in other parts of the FS world it is less or even worth. This error has

nothing to do with our scenery as it happens with the default airport as

well. We have spend lots of hours to get "behind the secret" but we never

could. But when investigating we discovered that it happens randomly

everywhere around the FS world.