Airliner cabins - Asobo's got the right idea

@Mathijs Kok I recently viewed the interview with you and BluXperience - and I have to agree that commercial airliner cabins aren't needed in MOST cases.  However, I do think Asobo has the right idea in implementing wing / window views and I would love to see the wider development community consider this method going into the future (and simulating cabin existence from outside too).  You can have little 'shells' like they did on the 787 or A320 where folks enjoying passenger views can get a nice window texture great for photography and cruise enjoyment, but it keeps performance up for those who don't care for it and only adds minimal development time (I surmise) to make.  Implementing a soundscape associated with said positions would indeed be icing on the cake, of course (FBW A32NX is a perfect example).

That being said, does your model still accommodate wing views despite not having a cabin?  We love to watch your wonderful wing animations, and it lets your work be appreciated even more.

I might be here to fly the plane, but being able to experience what I hear and see in real world experiences makes my spine tingle!

• Aerosoft

Yes, there is a wing view available. However, I do not share Microsoft's perspective on the cabins. Their aircraft models require fewer system resources, so they do not face any challenges in adding 5000 polygons to create a cabin. For us, every polygon counts, and we have to ensure that each one is taken into account.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Mathijs Kok Oh for sure, that's why I understand your design choices - though, I'm not sure if I was understood on what I meant with the window shells?  Example attached from Longitude.  I don't mean a full cabin, but rather the fixed viewpoints where all you get is a window and a black shell which does not involve all level of polygon you refer to.  No cabin, no seats, just a simple window frame at predetermined positions so it seems like we are inside a cabin. 

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.