FMS Approach/RWY changes?

Just seeing if I have this right. Today on VATSIM I was flying into DFW when the winds shifted and took me from landing on 18R to 36L requiring a shift in STAR to JOVEE5. With my last plane if I went in and hit DEP/ARR and changed the arrival data the FMS would wipe out the previous entry. What I'm seeing is the old entry staying in the FMS and thus goofing up my approach. Is this supposed to work that way and I need to manually remove all the old steps or is there some other function to do this sort of last moment shift?

I see the same. I ha tried to delete the old approach, but when i do so, the FMC and other parts of the aircraft freeze and i can only fly it manually.

So if i have to change the approach, i type in the new one and have to delete/overwrite the old STARs

Not sure I'm following that. You said that if you delete the old approach it freezes, but then you say you delete the old STARs and type in a new one. It sounds like the same thing here. Can you correct me? 

You know, I wonder if we could use the Secondary Flightplan on the FMS to overcome this. I've never had a reason to use it so I have zero idea how you'd switch over to it. The thinking is, before you leave the depature gate set it up with everything except the arrival and then if you get re-routed you could then add just that part, clean it up and activate it.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Agrajag27:

Not sure I'm following that. You said that if you delete the old approach it freezes, but then you say you delete the old STARs and type in a new one. It sounds like the same thing here. Can you correct me? 

You got me wrong. I meant when i choose another approach first, i can delete/overwrite the old wrong STARs.

I am not sure if we can make a secondary FP only for the changed approach, never tested this.

49 minutes ago, Ha_Ma said:

I am not sure if we can make a secondary FP only for the changed approach, never tested this.

Me neither, but it seems like it would work. I'll have to check this on my next flight.

I'm hearing from other users that they too are having issues with this and feel it's a bug. Does anyone know if this is something that's likely to get fixed at some point in the future? Thanks.

5 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

All open issues with the CRJ are being looked at soon.

Speculation runs rampant. heheh Thanks. Good luck with the ATR release. 

1 hour ago, Joe Markowski said:

Is it potentially the same issue as this? 

Nope. The EXE state isn't the issue. In other planes if you change the APP/RWY info the FMS will remove the old APP and/or RWY info in the FMS and replace it with this info. Not here (but again maybe that's what happens in the real plane, but it seems wrong). 

1 minute ago, Joe Markowski said:

That's what I mean, have you tried punching EXEC after every change to see if you still get the duplicate?

Oh, I see what you mean now. I'll give that a shot, but I think I did do that.

• Aerosoft
2 hours ago, Agrajag27 said:

Speculation runs rampant. heheh Thanks. Good luck with the ATR release. 

Well, not our project, but if you do not tell anybody, that's all done. In fact, Hans assisted us on the A330 today.

53 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Well, not our project, but if you do not tell anybody, that's all done. In fact, Hans assisted us on the A330 today.

Ah, I assumed Hans was you and thus you were ATR, but mums the word.... as they say (at least here).

FMS behavior in these conditions vary depending on whether the runway changes fixes on your arrival (STAR) and where you are on the arrival. Best practice in the CRJ when changing runways, approaches, arrivals, etc is to run through the LEGS page in the FMS to confirm the changes and make edits if you find things are going to be sequenced incorrectly prior to hitting EXEC.