Aerosoft Offshore Landmarks: Gulf of Mexico preview

• Aerosoft

More and more we learn about the difference between the Gulf and the North Sea.  So much more smallish structures. Often little more than a pontoon with a pump.

The funniest difference is how Americans name their ships.

PEGGY ANN

POPS PRIDE

POWERTOOL

PRINCESS ARIEL

Of course loads of 'Eagles' and 'Miss something something'.

Please login to display this image.

• Like 3

• Aerosoft
19 hours ago, Jason Douget said:

I just bought property on the Gulf in Horseshoe Beach, Fl. I have 2 boats and i am an FAA licensed Drone Pilot - Id love to help - Jasondouget@gmail.com

Super, I will drop you a mail!

Nice place btw, very water-orientated I see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Aerosoft

Anne is at this moment working on the carrier group we hope to include. 

currentState.PNG

I say 'hope' because this is a 34 million polygon object and nobody has ever done anything even close to this. We simply do not know how the sim engine will handle this. But if it works, the total carrier group will be roughly half a billion polygons. That is about what FSX has default for the whole sim.

Here are some images of the complete model we hope to have in the sim:

CVN-78 USS Gerald Ford Aircraft carrier 3D model

Note, these are images from the model as we bought it, not from the sim.  But damn, if this works....

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • Aerosoft

Some shots of the carrier in the sim.  a total of 36.265.065 tris, I am 100% sure this is a record for the sim.
 Of course, we need to clean things up (too many aircraft) but this will be one of the highlights of this product. 

You will be able to land a helicopter (or VTOL aircraft) on it of course, but this is not a fully functional carrier, it is just one of the tens of thousands of objects.

• Like 4

Am 26.3.2023 um 20:32 schrieb Mathijs Kok:

Some shots of the carrier in the sim.  a total of 36.265.065 tris, I am 100% sure this is a record for the sim.
 Of course, we need to clean things up (too many aircraft) but this will be one of the highlights of this product. 

You will be able to land a helicopter (or VTOL aircraft) on it of course, but this is not a fully functional carrier, it is just one of the tens of thousands of objects.

This looks fun! :D

• Aerosoft

The DLC is most certainly not based around the carrier (it is just one of the thousands of objects) but it sure is fun to play with.  This is by far, with a huge margin, the most complex object you have seen in the sim.

Next week I will show some of the new oil rigs that we have.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Mathijs Kok  sweet! I was hoping you guys would decide to do GoM after North Sea ;)

Two questions
- Are you planning to add some of the massive support heliports in S Louisiana ( PHi, Bristow, etc )  I know some are defunct now, but it'd be fun to have some of the huge land-side facilities. ( I think I have most of them in a spreadsheet as I'd had brief thoughts about doing it myself )
- North Sea POI markers absolutely kill the World Map, the freeware GoM scenery is even worse. Is there a way to reduce the number of markers for the sceneries so it doesn't grind the world map to a standstill? ;)

Cheers!

• Aerosoft

We will look at the heliports, but as you say, most are closed (no idea where they now fly from).

Good comment on the map, but not sure if there is a solution.

We do have fun new objects though!

• Like 3

On 5/6/2023 at 5:25 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Good comment on the map, but not sure if there is a solution.

Well, with the North Sea - removing POI markers for the ships ( and leaving the wind farms and rig POIs ) might help a lot.

IDK on GoM since there are 1000s of rigs.  Maybe just have POIs for a regional group of rigs?

I'll email you my notes on the heliports, but I'm not sure what's in operation and what's not, either.... ;)

Good news! marketplace have updated their weapons policy so the military ship dlc makers like seafrontsims lvfr and miltech are updating their existing marketplace products and including the gun barrels etc on their ships now. 

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, Gstove said:

Good news! marketplace have updated their weapons policy so the military ship dlc makers like seafrontsims lvfr and miltech are updating their existing marketplace products and including the gun barrels etc on their ships now. 

Thanks for that news!

5 hours ago, Gstove said:

Interesting - where did you read this?

• 3 weeks later...
Am 14.4.2023 um 16:43 schrieb Mathijs Kok:

The DLC is most certainly not based around the carrier (it is just one of the thousands of objects) but it sure is fun to play with.  This is by far, with a huge margin, the most complex object you have seen in the sim.

Next week I will show some of the new oil rigs that we have.

Lets hope this carrier will never get in the area of LAX in the sim :D 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Mathijs Kok I hope that with your leaving Aerosoft this project wil still get the same love and care you do put into it.

I am a very happy user of the North sea version and can’t wait to expand my Offshore helicopter flying to the Gulf of Mexico

I also hope to hear soon which company was lucky to snatch you from Aerosoft.

• Aerosoft

As far as I am aware, this project will stay on track but will ask who will take it over.

I am afraid it will be a while before it is clear what the future brings, the plans are rather massive, but a lot of things need to be arranged and we want to have it all lined up before telling about it. Super exited though! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fingers crossed for the Gulf of Mexico project! The n sea industry is a great add on for x box and I’m looking forwards to this hopefully appearing at some point also! 

• 2 months later...