View of Outside World Out of Kilter - CRJ Family of Planes

jryko

I only fly using VR, so I cannot verify if this problem exists in the 2D model, but I can say that I am only having this issue with the CRJ's.

If I am sitting in the cockpit, and I look straight out, the runway is tilted upward, so I have to lift my head back in order to see down the entire runway.  The same problem exists if I am looking at the horizon to the right or left.  I must tilt my head back to have the horizon in my line of vision.

My view inside the cockpit is perfectly fine.  The view of the world is also perfectly fine if I switch to an external view of the plane.  It is only a problem when sitting in the cockpit and looking outside.

I've tried looking up and down when centering my VR headset prior to flight, but that did not work.  

I'm hoping someone has a viable solution.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I don't know if this helps solve the problem that I am having with the outside view, but the other day I received a message that I had Low Bandwidth.  This has been a sporadic problem with MSFS recently.  I tested my bandwidth, and it was a bit over 480 Mbps.  Anyway, the odd thing is that my view from the cockpit (in VR mode) was perfectly fine when I used the sim after the Low Bandwidth message, since I was playing in offline mode.  As soon as the sim returned to online mode, the problem with the cockpit view came back.  I'm hoping this might give someone a clue as to what the problem might be.  If so, please let me know.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

My experience: the VR axis is aligned with the aircraft fuselage datum, which is nose down on the ground. That being said, I noticed that meant I had to keep my head tilted up around 3 degrees or so when taxiing. Moderately uncomfortable, but I guess that’s what real pilots have to put up with?

Anyways, it’s either that or having the default VR axis be looking too far up in cruise. Pick your poison, I suppose.

@jryko I do fly the CRJs in VR also (and other ACFT) and did not realy feal that something is off. I use a Quest 2 with Cable Link and somethimes wit Air Link.

@amahran I never had the feeling that I have to look UP while taxiing

What VR equipment do you guys have? Could it be something in your settings (lens correcion, zoom factor, etc) ?

Can you guys take screenshots (exact the same orientation) ? E.g. User 1 take a picture on LOWI RW08, user 2 tries to match the cockpit view and take same picture.

I've attached three screenshots.  I apologize since I do not know how to make the pictures larger.  The first picture is RWY 1R at KLAS in VR mode.  The next two pictures are non-VR shots from both inside and outside the cockpit.  

I use the HP Reverb G2 VR Headset.  I typically fly four jets and the PMDG DC-6.  The CRJ family of planes are the only ones with which I am having this problem.  As I mentioned in a prior post, this problem only exists when the sim is running online mode (99% of the time).  Everything looks fine when the sim has to run offline.  

I really appreciate your prompt response.  Please let me know if you can think of a possible solution.  Have a great week.

Please login to display this image.

16 hours ago, GEK_the_Reaper said:

What VR equipment do you guys have? Could it be something in your settings (lens correcion, zoom factor, etc) ?

Can you guys take screenshots (exact the same orientation) ? E.g. User 1 take a picture on LOWI RW08, user 2 tries to match the cockpit view and take same picture.

I suppose it wasn't as exaggerated as I remember. First shot is the PMDG 737, second shot is the CRJ700. Same as above, runway 01R at KLAS:

Mine is the Valve Index. The views above feel pretty normal and represent my natural sitting position (as much as I can recreate it repeatably over two pictures)

@jryko your latest screenshot gives me the impression that your looking down (RW fills like 2/3 of the windscreen), all other pictures (including those from @amahran) look pretty normal to me (this is a subjective impression since the RW fills like only 1/2 of the windscreen).

@jryko did you try a "vanilla" setup (clean Community folder and standard payload of the CRJ)? I'm just wild guessing here of what could lead the CRJ to pitch FWD (a pushback addon, a non balanced payload, a.... you name it).

Also if this happens only when your online I would rather see it as a SIM "issue" than a CRJ issue (maybe some bad vector data of the ground, google maps instead of bing, etc.)?!

10 hours ago, GEK_the_Reaper said:

@jryko your latest screenshot gives me the impression that your looking down (RW fills like 2/3 of the windscreen), all other pictures (including those from @amahran) look pretty normal to me (this is a subjective impression since the RW fills like only 1/2 of the windscreen).

@jryko did you try a "vanilla" setup (clean Community folder and standard payload of the CRJ)? I'm just wild guessing here of what could lead the CRJ to pitch FWD (a pushback addon, a non balanced payload, a.... you name it).

Also if this happens only when your online I would rather see it as a SIM "issue" than a CRJ issue (maybe some bad vector data of the ground, google maps instead of bing, etc.)?!

A recommendation, it may have something to do with this dialog box? 

It does change the neutral axis of the view even in VR, and some views can be aggressively nose down. There may be a chance that somehow OP's configuration is automatically selecting one of those views, and the offline-online setting is weirdly tying into it.

@jryko do you have Your Controls installed? I heard that somehow it has some memory allocation issues in MSFS when online, but I could be wrong...

When you ask if I have my Controls installed, do you mean the yoke and the throttle quadrant, or are you referring to the game controllers that come with the VR headset?  I do have the former, but I do not use the latter.  Something else I accidently discovered today.  If my cockpit view is distorted, I may be able to correct it by restarting the sim as soon as I get into the cockpit.  I haven't tried it enough times to verify that it always works, but I have had several successful flights so far.  Thanks for all of your advice on this.  I'm quite impressed with your level of support.

• Thanks 1