My Traffic X

StewartSky

Gentlemen: First may I say that I love your products. I am finally realizing that some FS software companies constantly put out good products, while others do not. Yours are always excellent. Now, before I buy, I ask the name of the manufacturer. If it's Aerosoft, I buy without any worries.

That said, I am having a small problem with My Traffic X, which I just loaded onto my computer this afternoon. Everything went smoothly, but I do not have the "Extras - Traffic Toolbox" in my FS Menu Bar. This is very important, as the options presented in this "Traffic Toolbox" are what set your AI traffic program many steps above your competition. Can you please tell me what I can do to have the "Traffic Toolbox" option appear in my menu bar.

Thanks again for a great product line.

Regards, Stewart S. Leber (Foster City, California)

Hello Stewart,

Please check the FAqs here.

Shaun: Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Went to FAQ's as you directed. Bear with me, as I am not very tech savvy.

I am running FSX Deluxe, with Microsoft "Acceleration" Expansion Pack, which I believe includes Service Pack 2 (SP2). I have no idea what an "SDK" is, or where to go to download it. Is that something I find at SFInsider.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards, Stew

Hello Stew,

You need to initially install the SDKs from the FSX Deluxe disc, you then need to install the SDk for SP1 then SP2.

You may find these updates on the acceleration disc, if not they can be downloaded from here.

Remember, install the SDks from the FSX Deluxe disc first then FSX Software Development Kit Update SP1A followed by FSX SDK - SP2 Update.

Hello Stew,

You need to initially install the SDKs from the FSX Deluxe disc, you then need to install the SDk for SP1 then SP2.

You may find these updates on the acceleration disc, if not they can be downloaded from here.

Remember, install the SDks from the FSX Deluxe disc first then FSX Software Development Kit Update SP1A followed by FSX SDK - SP2 Update.

Hello Shaun: Followed your instructions in great detail. Found the SDK on the FSX Deluxe Disk #1, and loaded it into my main FSX file. Then went to FS Insider and loaded SDK for SP1A and then SP2. Then removed My Traffic FSX and reinstalled it just to make sure all was done correctly. Unfortunately, I still can not find any sign of "Extras" or "Traffic Toolbox" in the FS Menu Bar. Darn!! What am I doing wrong? Very frustrating.

Hope you can show me the light.

Regards, Stew

Hello Shaun: Followed your instructions in great detail. Found the SDK on the FSX Deluxe Disk #1, and loaded it into my main FSX file. Then went to FS Insider and loaded SDK for SP1A and then SP2. Then removed My Traffic FSX and reinstalled it just to make sure all was done correctly. Unfortunately, I still can not find any sign of "Extras" or "Traffic Toolbox" in the FS Menu Bar. Darn!! What am I doing wrong? Very frustrating.

Hope you can show me the light.

Regards, Stew

Hello Shaun: Awaiting your latest advice. Am enjoying all the neat new AI aircraft, but really want to use the Traffic Toolbox as I did in My Traffic 2004. Followed your SDK instructions, but still nothing new in the FS Menu Bar. Can you or one of your cohorts let me know what I am doing wrong, please.

Hope to hear from you. Have a nice weekend.

Regards, Stew Leber

Hello Stew,

Try copying the Traffictoolbox.dll from the following folder.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK

then paste it into the MyTraffic folder in FSX.

Hello Stew,

Try copying the Traffictoolbox.dll from the following folder.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK

then paste it into the MyTraffic folder in FSX.

Shaun: Did exactly as you suggested, but the traffictoolbox.dll was already there (as I guess it should have been). Overwrote it just to stick with your instructions, but still nothing in FS Menu Bar. I attempted to attach a picture of my FS and menu bar for you to see, but it was too large to upload. On my Menu Bar is the following: Flights, Aircraft, World, Options, Views, Help, Add-Ons, and that is it. In the Add-ons I have FSUIPC and FS Discover.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks again for sticking this one out with me. I know there is an obvious solution.

Regards, Stew

Hello Shaun,

i had the same problem.

i copied the "traffictoolbox.dll" from "Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK" to "FSX/Mytraffic"

and changed my dll.xml manually:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">

<Descr>Launch</Descr>

<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Level-D Simulations</Name>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Path>Modules\LVLD.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>PMDG Options</Name>

<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGOptions.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>PMDG Events</Name>

<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGEvents.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>PMDG Sounds</Name>

<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGSounds.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>

<Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>

<Path>MyTraffic\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>

BUT NO LUCK - there is no Traffic Toolbox in my settings bar of FSX

what did i do wrong??

Thanks,

Timo

I have the download version of MyTraffic X and the relevant section of the xml reads as below:

<Launch.Addon>
       <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
     </Launch.Addon>

I've copied the traffictoolbox.dll and TrafficDatabaseBuilder.exe across to the mytraffic folder as instructed, but i think the entry in the dll.xml has to read as above or it wont work in FSX.

Also it is listed above the FSUIPC entry in the xml, whether this makes any difference or not i'm not sure. But i can confirm that all of the MyTraffic programs and editor etc work fine.

FSX with Acceleration is the version i am using.

Hello Folks,

Yes you can enable the Traffictoolbox.dll in the dll.xml but MyTraffic normally adds it own entry unless this has been removed from the installer.

Just do what Andy B has quoted and it should be seen. Hopefully.

Hello Folks,

Yes you can enable the Traffictoolbox.dll in the dll.xml but MyTraffic normally adds it own entry unless this has been removed from the installer.

Just do what Andy B has quoted and it should be seen. Hopefully.

Dear Shaun: Here again my tech un-savvyness hurts. I don't know what a "dll.xml" is or how or where to find the "code" that Andy B mentions. Can you try one more time to lead me to the "promised land". At least seeing Timo have a similar problem gives me some comfort!

Thanks again for all your time!

Regards, Stew

P.S. For the record, I had much fun with and used many, many times the Traffic Toolbox in MY Traffic for FS2004! Hope I can do so again with My Traffic FSX!!

Please let me explain the problem, which has three origins.

First, the tool menu entry has absolutely nothing to do with MyTraffic. It is a property of the "Software Developer Kit" ( SDK) that comes with FS - if you think of AI traffic it is highly useful and we therefore recommend you have it installed and try to help you.

In FS9 this was simple. Technically, it was enough to place a dll file into the FS9\modules folder, and it was used immediately. Legaly, the FS9 SDK was a free download and the traffictoolbox.dll marked as a "redistributable".

In FSX, it is not simple. Technically, a dll may reside anywhere, but which dll you want to use you as user have to program yourself into the file "%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml" , a file you can and have to edit using notepad . Wherever it is, if the syntax of that file is OK, and all the entries exist, than the module will be loaded. Legally, the SDK is coupled to the de Luxe edition and not redistributable, so MyTraffic or any other addon must not install it for you - this has been made clear enough by the Microsoft law department. To make things still worse, there are four versions of FSX ( FSK RTM, FSK SP1, FSX SP2 and FSX AccPack ). These are different programs, with different internal data structures, so a module for one of them does not fit to the others. FSX with AccPack installed is not the same program as SP2, but a different program with a lot of additional structures and features, only the changes from FSX SP1 to AccPack that have nothing to do with the AccPack theme ( Races, carrier operations, ...) have been collected into Service Pack 2.

So whatever of the 4 versions of FSX you have installed, you do need to install the correct SDK, in the case of AccPack the SDK.MSI from the AccPack DVD.

Once you have installed that, and a proper entry pointing to the location of the SDK, it will work. If you have an entry

<Launch.Addon>

<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

it will work, or if you copy the traffictoolbox.dll from the folder "...\Microsoft Games\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll" to the MyTraffic folder, the form

<Launch.Addon>

<Path>MyTraffic\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

will also work.

Now, when you install FSX and the SDK for the first time and run the SDK setup routine, it creates a template dll.xml. In this, the pathes should be OK, but all modules are disabled, <Disabled>True</Disabled>. If you change the True to False, it will work.

Sorry that Microsoft has made things so complicated, but we here and Aerosoft suffer as much under this as you end users, you can be sure.

Guest Hodge001

Hi All

Having followed this thread I decided to re-activate the traffic toolbox option from the top drop down menu as I had done once before, only to find that I too had no tools option listed on the top menu bar of FSX, which was odd as I had previously used this option.

Anyway on further digging around I found that during yet another re-install of FSX plus SP2, I had only updated the SDK using the SP1a update, and after downloading and installing the latest FSX SDK - SP2 Update (file name sdk.msi) from the fsinsider web site I now have all the tool options available.

I must admit that this SDK update had slipped by me.

For information my basic system spec’s are

FSX DeLux + SP2 (acceleration not installed)

Windows XP + SP2

The version number of the Traffictoolbox.dll file after I updated the SDK is 10.0.61472.0, which now activates the tools menu in FSX on my system.

Hope it helps.

Jim H

Hi All

Having followed this thread I decided to re-activate the traffic toolbox option from the top drop down menu as I had done once before, only to find that I too had no tools option listed on the top menu bar of FSX, which was odd as I had previously used this option.

Anyway on further digging around I found that during yet another re-install of FSX plus SP2, I had only updated the SDK using the SP1a update, and after downloading and installing the latest FSX SDK - SP2 Update (file name sdk.msi) from the fsinsider web site I now have all the tool options available.

I must admit that this SDK update had slipped by me.

For information my basic system spec’s are

FSX DeLux + SP2 (acceleration not installed)

Windows XP + SP2

The version number of the Traffictoolbox.dll file after I updated the SDK is 10.0.61472.0, which now activates the tools menu in FSX on my system.

Hope it helps.

Jim H

Dear Shaun, Burkhard, and Jim H:

Thank you all for your assistance. I have my work cut out for me following your directions, but will definitely give it my best. I know I will learn a lot!

Am going on vacation for ten days, so will be away from FS. Will hit "the books" upon return and most likely have more questions. Seems like everything in FSX is harder than it was in FS9. Sometimes (especially when I go to the big airports in FSX which are nothing but apron) I wonder if I was correct in making the switch. Certainly miss AES!!!

Regards, Stew

Hi, I need further help with this please. I have installed all apropriate sdk's. I have fsx sp2 installed with sdk sp2 I installed sdk from the disk initially, then sdk for sp1, then sdk for sp2.

After this Im not sure what is required. I cant find a path C/users/username/appdata - appdata doesnt seem to exist in this location.

Im using vista 32bit with fsx sp2. Also I have my trafficx patched to 5.1b. The SDK seems to have installed correctly to its default location being - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK.

Im not sure exactly what I have to do after installing the sdk. Ive read other instructions, but Im having problems following. I need someone to put it in step by step instructions with no abreviations etc. Hope someone can help.

Hi, I need further help with this please. I have installed all apropriate sdk's. I have fsx sp2 installed with sdk sp2 I installed sdk from the disk initially, then sdk for sp1, then sdk for sp2.

After this Im not sure what is required. I cant find a path C/users/username/appdata - appdata doesnt seem to exist in this location.

Im using vista 32bit with fsx sp2. Also I have my trafficx patched to 5.1b. The SDK seems to have installed correctly to its default location being - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK.

Im not sure exactly what I have to do after installing the sdk. Ive read other instructions, but Im having problems following. I need someone to put it in step by step instructions with no abreviations etc. Hope someone can help.

The name of the folder isn't appdata - it is different on any Windows version and any langauge version. What is in common to all is the " %appdata% " definition.

From the former Start button, now the round windows flag in the lower ledt corener of the screen, Start "Run ...", "Ausführen..." or however it is called in your system. You get a small new windows with one line you can enter text in. Type in there "%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX" and you are where you want to go. You cannot find this through normal browsing - Microsoft has hidden these most important files from normal user activities.

Now you will find dll.xml there - you can edit that file by notepad. The syntax it needs to have you can read best in the SDK manual.

The name of the folder isn't appdata - it is different on any Windows version and any langauge version. What is in common to all is the " %appdata% " definition.

From the former Start button, now the round windows flag in the lower ledt corener of the screen, Start "Run ...", "Ausführen..." or however it is called in your system. You get a small new windows with one line you can enter text in. Type in there "%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX" and you are where you want to go. You cannot find this through normal browsing - Microsoft has hidden these most important files from normal user activities.

Now you will find dll.xml there - you can edit that file by notepad. The syntax it needs to have you can read best in the SDK manual.

Ok I did what you instructed and I now have the tools menu. Thank you for your help. Now i need some instruction as to what I can do with the tools menu.

Thank you again for your help.

Ok I did what you instructed and I now have the tools menu. Thank you for your help. Now i need some instruction as to what I can do with the tools menu.

Thank you again for your help.

Check the SDK manual, it tells you all you can know and we know.

Dear Shaun, Burkhard, and Jim H:

Thank you all for your assistance. I have my work cut out for me following your directions, but will definitely give it my best. I know I will learn a lot!

Am going on vacation for ten days, so will be away from FS. Will hit "the books" upon return and most likely have more questions. Seems like everything in FSX is harder than it was in FS9. Sometimes (especially when I go to the big airports in FSX which are nothing but apron) I wonder if I was correct in making the switch. Certainly miss AES!!!

Regards, Stew

Dear Shaun, Burkhard, and all who have tried so hard to help me with getting Traffic Toolbox in my FSX Menu line:

Well, I am back from vacation and have spent hours going through the various posts and using notepad to alter my dll's to get things working. Try as I may, I am still unsuccessful. Especially frustrating when I see Aaron solve his problem with one quick reply from Burkhard, whereas Burkhard wrote a novel for me and I still can't get it right. As instructed for Aaron, I did the Run "%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX" and indeed found myself in C:|Documents and Settings\Stewart\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX and see both the dll (says "XML Document 2 KB" below) and a DLL_XML_Before_MyTrafficX..., which I guess are the dll's you have mentioned. I change the True to False, and still no luck. It may be a path issue. I have my FSX loaded at D:\Flight Sims\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, and My TrafficX shows up both in this same Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder, and also on my C drive at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Aerosoft. Can you tell me what my "Path" in the dll should be? Is this indeed the problem?

I am so sorry to keep bothering you, but maybe just one more attempt at guiding me and I will be OK. Hope to hear from you! If I ever get it working, I promise to use Traffic Toolbox every day for the next year!!

Regards, Stew Leber

Regards, Stew Leber

Dear Shaun, Burkhard, and all who have tried so hard to help me with getting Traffic Toolbox in my FSX Menu line:

Well, I am back from vacation and have spent hours going through the various posts and using notepad to alter my dll's to get things working. Try as I may, I am still unsuccessful. Especially frustrating when I see Aaron solve his problem with one quick reply from Burkhard, whereas Burkhard wrote a novel for me and I still can't get it right. As instructed for Aaron, I did the Run "%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX" and indeed found myself in C:|Documents and Settings\Stewart\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX and see both the dll (says "XML Document 2 KB" below) and a DLL_XML_Before_MyTrafficX..., which I guess are the dll's you have mentioned. I change the True to False, and still no luck. It may be a path issue. I have my FSX loaded at D:\Flight Sims\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, and My TrafficX shows up both in this same Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder, and also on my C drive at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Aerosoft. Can you tell me what my "Path" in the dll should be? Is this indeed the problem?

I am so sorry to keep bothering you, but maybe just one more attempt at guiding me and I will be OK. Hope to hear from you! If I ever get it working, I promise to use Traffic Toolbox every day for the next year!!

Regards, Stew Leber

Regards, Stew Leber

Hello Shaun, Burkhard, and all: Still hoping to hear from you. Would really like to get Traffic Toolbox working. It may be an issue with my "Path". Please see last post and reply if possible with what you think I should be doing.

Regards, Stew Leber

Check the SDK manual, it tells you all you can know and we know.

Burkhard: I followed your suggestions to Aaron, but still no "Traffic Toolbox" in the "Add-Ons" drop down in my FS Menu. I think it may be a "path" issue. Can you look at recent post where I gave you the path I am using on my computer, and please get back to me with the text I should have in my dll.xml file.

Thanks so much for your time taken to date. Sorry I just can't seem to get it right!

Regards, Stew Leber

Burkhard: I followed your suggestions to Aaron, but still no "Traffic Toolbox" in the "Add-Ons" drop down in my FS Menu. I think it may be a "path" issue. Can you look at recent post where I gave you the path I am using on my computer, and please get back to me with the text I should have in my dll.xml file.

Thanks so much for your time taken to date. Sorry I just can't seem to get it right!

Regards, Stew Leber

Where did you install FSX SDK? Obviously your path has to be this path.

So, please give us in one post:

a) location of FSX

B) location of the SDK

c) version of FSX

d) version of the SDK

and than the sniplet of the code in "%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml about the toolbox.

if the path in the dll.xml is ..\Flight Simulator X SDK\, this means go up from the folder where FSX.exe is installed, than down to the SDK folder and than further down...