Cold start - yoke (elevator) problem

CptQuirk

Hey,

I've got a problem with the Twin Otter that's been driving me nuts, and I can't seem to be able to figure it out.

Whenever I start the plane from cold and dark (following the proper procedure/checklist, control lock removed, of course, engines running properly, everything ready to go), the yoke can only be pulled back so far. The elevator does NOT go beyond the (roughly) straight position, so it is impossible to properly control the plane. The yoke/elevator WILL move all the way forward/down, all good there, but when I pull it back to raise the nose, it will only move until the plane flies straight, and I can't figure out why it won't move further back beyond that position. Left/right also works as it should.

If I start the flight on the runway, with engines already running, everything works normally.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any solutions? I hope I'm just being an idiot and keep missing something that's obvious to everyone else, because I can't find any info about this anywhere... And I always start my flights from cold & dark, so I'd certainly like to be able to do so with the Otter... :)

Thank you very much for any assistance!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping that the latest Twin Otter update would solve my weird yoke/elevator problem... But no such luck. The issue remains the same: when I start any flight cold&dark, in a parking spot or at a gate, it is impossible to pull the yoke all the way back (beyond the roughly straight elevator position), which, obviously, makes the plane useless. Of course that's with control lock removed, I'm not THAT stupid :)  However, if I start on the runway, ready to take off, everything is normal and the plane works perfectly. I've tried everything and I simply can't figure it out.

I see quite a few people have seen my initial post above, and yet nobody has confirmed that they have experienced the same problem. I can't believe I'm the only one with this issue?! Can anyone help or at least confirm that my problem exists at all? Because I'm at my wit's end here... 😕

Thanks and cheers

I can only say that i do not have this issue. I always start my flights C&D and have never seen this.

On what platform do you use the Sim, what Peripherals are in use?

Is the Flight Model set to Modern, do you have any Assistance Options activated?

Have you tried without any other Addons/Liveries in the Community folder?

• Aerosoft
23 hours ago, CptQuirk said:

Can anyone help or at least confirm that my problem exists at all? Because I'm at my wit's end here... 😕

I really wish I could, but we simply have never seen it and we have never had any other customer report it.

My guess is that is is related to key or button assignment.  Try with a totally clear profile.

On 1/6/2023 at 9:01 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

I really wish I could, but we simply have never seen it and we have never had any other customer report it.

My guess is that is is related to key or button assignment.  Try with a totally clear profile.

Exactly: THIS! I would never have thought of this, thank you very much!

Tried everything else – deleting the plane completely and reinstalling from scratch, throwing out all the unofficial mods I thought might be interfering... But I never suspected something in the keyboard profile might be causing this!
Based on your suggestion, I simply created a new keyboard profile with default bindings and everything is OK. Now that I know what it was, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out the rest. Brilliant!

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the help!

Cheers

After tinkering around with this a little, I can report the following... Which I find very strange, but maybe you can make some sense out of it.

So, creating a new default keyboard problem using only default bindings solved the problem... But did it, really?

Actually, it didn't, because if I go back to the main menu and start from cold & dark again, the same issue arises yet again – even when I use a clean, default keyboard problem before starting the flight from cold & dark, the yoke won't move back past a certain point.

What is even stranger is the really easy (if rather idiotic) solution: start the flight from cold & dark (the yoke is "stuck")... Then simply ESC, click "controls options", and then just "go back" and "resume" without doing or changing anything at all – and the yoke starts working normally!

Obviously, this is a really easy "trick", so it's all good as far as I'm concerned – I can simply do this every time I start a flight. Even better, I can actually start with my previous keyboard profile with all my custom bindings, just do this, and everything starts working as it should with my bindings in place. I just thought I'd report this because maybe you can draw some useful conclusion from it – I certainly have no idea how this can be or what it implies, but I'm more than happy that there's an easy way of getting around the problem (even if I have no idea why simply going into controls options and back does anything, I don't see how that's even possible and it makes as much sense to me as throwing salt over my shoulder before each flight :D )

Cheers

EDIT: Heh, even just going into the menu (with ESC) and right back (resume) solves the problem. What the...? :D