Loading flight freezes sim if CRJ is the first aircraft of the session?

pilotjohn

I know it's supposed to take time for the CRJ to load, but at one point I waited 20+ minutes (on a 5950X with a 6900XT) and nothing happened. This has been the behavior at least a half a dozen times now trying to load CRJ as the first flight after launching MSFS. The only way for me to load into the CRJ is to load a flight with another aircraft first. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Experiencing this as well,

If I startup the sim and load a flight with the CRJ, it will freeze halfway. I then quite the sim, re-start, select the CRJ and it works for the second load. If I close the sim, and start again it freezes.

Did either of you guys recently install a livery?  Even if not for the CRJ.  If so, remove that livery and see what happens.  Airports can cause this too, mainly the freeware stuff.  You can think it crazy, but I have seen this behavior caused by a livery or scenery that does not follow the SDK.  Even if you are not using that livery or scenery, it is still loading. 

1 hour ago, pilotjohn said:

No liveries for me. I've disabled my freeware stuff and it still happens. It has never happened before (or at least not in the last 6 months or so) until i installed the CRJ.

Well I have had the CRJ since day one.  Never seen this.  The only time I have seen this behavior is if I fly, exit the sim, for some reason delete or move the aircraft I was flying and start the sim.  Then it crashes when I go to select a flight because the aircraft it attempts to load up ready for selection is not there.  Other than that, never seen it. 

OK, it is important to note that so far this is confirmed with "another friend" and @pilotjohn.   Me not seeing it, coupled with the fact that the board is not lighting up with every Aerosoft basher out there, leads me to believe that there is some local issue causing this with 3 people so far.  My only viable suggestion is completely un-install the CRJ and all associated liveries.  Make sure you delete all remnants of the plane.  Start MSFS after trashing the CRJ.  If it runs, exit and reboot, then try installing the CRJ again.  

Based on the fact that @pilotjohn reported a slow initial load and "nothing happening", I wonder if you guys interrupted the CRJ compilation process.  With that in mind, DO NOT start the sim in developer mode, if you are.  Many do so because it "loads faster".  Well, that happens because none of the optimization that happens on normal start happens in developer mode.  Make sure that is turned off before you load the CRJ the first time at least. 

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

I just checked it on my meanwhile quite slow system and the time loading the CRJ in EDDM (add-on) took exactly 40 sec. So not sure what s going wrong on your side.

Beside what Mark said, you should exclude all your MSFS related folders from being scanned by any AV software.

• Aerosoft
On 11/29/2022 at 6:07 PM, skypilotYTS said:

Confirmed with another friend I fly with he is seeing the same.

Would you be so kind as to ask your friend to report here as well? It is very unlikely he has EXACTLY te same setup as you have, and having two different configurations leading to the same bug will make is a LOT easier to finds the reason. If he does not want to be on a forum ask him to contact me at mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com.

Not running on Dev Mode, but do have FastStart enabled (Steam Client). 

I'll give it a try with that turned off and see if the issue occurs as well.

When the issue does occur, flightsimulator.exe shows as not responding in the task manager. 

I went ahead and turned off FastLaunch on my Steam client, and low and behold the CRJ now loads without issue, everytime. 

As a test, I went ahead and turned it back on, and the issue would not occur no matter how many times I started / restarted. Not sure if it cleared something or there was something else going on but the CRJ is the only aircraft I fly (for the past 78 flight hours) and this issue occurred without fail every first launch since SU11. 

@pilotjohn not sure if you have FastLaunch enabled via Steam or Store but if you do, give it a try with it turned off.

• Thanks 2

On 11/30/2022 at 5:32 PM, skypilotYTS said:

I went ahead and turned off FastLaunch on my Steam client, and low and behold the CRJ now loads without issue, everytime. 

As a test, I went ahead and turned it back on, and the issue would not occur no matter how many times I started / restarted. Not sure if it cleared something or there was something else going on but the CRJ is the only aircraft I fly (for the past 78 flight hours) and this issue occurred without fail every first launch since SU11. 

@pilotjohn not sure if you have FastLaunch enabled via Steam or Store but if you do, give it a try with it turned off.

What we can take from this is that FastLaunch with Steam, somehow did not allow the WASM to compile and/or optimize.  I do not understand the procedure completely, but have seen reports that the "slow" start up time of MSFS is related to optimization that occurs under normal startup.  

What I can tell you is that I

1. Always run MSFS as Admin

2. Never once have I used developer mode, as I am not a developer.  If I want to check frames (which I have done about twice since its release), I use another program for that.

I may very well be ok to run MSFS with FastLaunch, except for first load of add on aircraft like the CRJ, PMDG and Maddog.  Fenix, hmm not sure.  That is a different animal altogether because, unless I am mistaken, their "sim" resides completely outside MSFS and just loads visuals.  I noticed that there is never a long compiling time with that aircraft, so something is different.  

Glad it is working.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2