• Aerosoft

We are building a new sound set for the Twin Otter and we would like to invite some testers. Clearly we prefer people who have experience on the model because it has a internal sound that is rather peculiar (with nearly no sound dampening and the props directly aligned the the cockpit). 

We do have some pilots assisting us but it is clear we have to find a balance between what it should be and what is expected. 

Contact me on mathijs.kok@aerosoft.com if you like to assist us.

• Like 6

1) What it should be: as real as possible

2) Wat is expected: see 1)

3) What it shouldn't be: abrupt transitions, background noises, bleeding eardrums (lol)

So sign me up for testing

Applied !

So excited to get better sound for this great aircraft

On 10/18/2022 at 2:54 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

I do have rather a lot of mails already and selecting the folks who were most negative before. 
I like a challenge.

My mind is very negative about it's sound, but hate to complain on the public place 🙂

Cheers !

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

So far I have not had one single person apply who had personal experience. Still hoping though. 

Having this only tested by people who simply do not know how it should sounds (without the bugs of course) seems not a very good idea.

I know the community loves the aircraft (Except it's sounds).

I am more than 200% sure many of them have flying experience with the twin-otter. If the community know about this sound set you'd have a ton of application I am sure. People are hoping to see this tread.

I saw this tread only because I wanted to fly the Twin-Otter more theses days and desperately came here to read about an possible upcoming sound improvement patch, hopefully. Other than that I would never have seen this.

Perhaps reaching out to streamer ''The Flying Fabio'' himself would be great to evaluate the sound pack due to personal experience, but also doing it on stream with his constant 300+ aviation enthusiasts viewers.

That would be my call, personally I have a fine ear for turbo props and sound in general, I could definitely tell if sound is better and make sense, but perhaps not if it's proper to the twin-otter.

Would still love to be able to help out to the best of my capacities ! I'll share this tread to many forums that I know.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

So far I have not had one single person apply who had personal experience. Still hoping though. 

Having this only tested by people who simply do not know how it should sounds (without the bugs of course) seems not a very good idea.

Oh I was under the impression that you were looking for people who had a lot of flight time in the Aerosoft Twin Otter, not necessarily the real DHC-6!

Does flight time in a real twin piston (Piper Seminole) count? I don't know what a real turbine sounds like with my face abeam the prop disk, but I'm sure I know what it shouldn't sound like.

All I ask is that you please remember that having everything realistic is not always the best for the user. Specifically volume. Having it deafening to the pilot may be realistic, but not good design for a game/sim. And if you insist on keeping it extremely loud for realism can you please make sure those sounds are mapped to the one engine volume slider (can't remember what it's called). From memory when I flew this months ago I tried to decrease the volume slider and there was still something very loud I couldn't decrease. So if you can give the user the ability to lower the volume without lowing the rest of the sim that would be great and a good compromise 

I sent an e-mail last weekend and there I stated that I do not have cockpit experience with the Twin Otter, but I do have passenger experience from a few flights...

• Like 2

On 10/21/2022 at 6:15 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

The same could be said of those making the plane as well.  Just sayin'.  😉

I hope you get a long list of testers to help you out with this.  It's been a long time coming, and expectations as well as hopes are running high.

I guess they must have a good list of pilots. Since I did not get a reply "only" being a passenger on several flights.. Oh well, never mind. I just hope for a good result regardless who gets to test. 🙂

• Like 1

• Aerosoft
On 10/28/2022 at 7:24 PM, Tosei said:

I guess they must have a good list of pilots. Since I did not get a reply "only" being a passenger on several flights.. Oh well, never mind. I just hope for a good result regardless who gets to test. 🙂

Your post is in my 'test' box. 

And yes we have 6 pilots whose comments we take rather seriously.

• Like 4

I have about 1500 hours in the Twin Otter, but I would not be a good tester, because I literally never was in the cockpit when I wasn't wearing an excellent headset. It's a seriously loud plane! I have no idea what it sounds like without a headset.

On 10/29/2022 at 7:27 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Your post is in my 'test' box. 

And yes we have 6 pilots whose comments we take rather seriously.

Then I am happy. With 6 pilots opinions, you should have a really good basis for getting the best possible quality. 🙂

• Like 1

• Aerosoft
2 hours ago, Tosei said:

Then I am happy. With 6 pilots opinions, you should have a really good basis for getting the best possible quality. 🙂

Yeah, but as so often, what real pilots think about sound is not what customers think it correct. We'll see.  The first tests have started and I will contact some people tomorrow if they have no been contacted before.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

When watching a YT video about the Twin Otter I found a guy who installed a sound mod from FTSim Plus and it sounds great!
Unfortunately I don't know how the real aircraft sounds like but while watching the video everything seemed very reasonable and realistic.

Maybe this info will help you out a bit. 🙂

4 hours ago, Phipanjo said:

When watching a YT video about the Twin Otter I found a guy who installed a sound mod from FTSim Plus and it sounds great!
Unfortunately I don't know how the real aircraft sounds like but while watching the video everything seemed very reasonable and realistic.

Maybe this info will help you out a bit. 🙂

I have it but i'm unable to make it working. I follow the instructions but the aircraft does longer appear in the aircraft menu.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Reald:

I have it but i'm unable to make it working. I follow the instructions but the aircraft does longer appear in the aircraft menu.

Strange, I just tried the freeware and payware version without problems.

Maybe something else in your community folder causes the problem, but mine is stuffed with all kind of things inclusive the GNS 750, livery, airport/airstrip and some aircraft mods and it works flawlessly.

I like to hear that Aerosoft finally got their hands on all sound files they need for their work. It seems getting everything you need to deliver the product you want isn't always as easy as someone might think. I am looking forward to the next update; the Twin Otter then might be my go-to plane for bush rides!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Please stay on topic and do not discuss problems with products from other devs in the Aerosoft forum. There are enough places outside.

I would love to be able to provide feedback. I am a bit of an audiophile when it comes to this sort of stuff. If I don't think the audio is on point, I don't fly the aircraft. For example, the spool time on the CRJ is far, far far too long. I've flown on many CRJs and watched lots of videos, the spool up time is quick and reaches a constant 'pitch' (by pitch I am talking about sound, not pitch like propeller) very quickly.

But this thread is about the Twin Otter. I have not flown on this aircraft in real life but I'm still open to providing feedback. 

Despite the fact that I've paid for both, I don't fly either the CRJ or the Twin Otter because of the lack of sounds. I hope to change that.

btw, I was the one who originally posted this link: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ftsim-twin-otter-sounds-addon/495818

vor 15 Stunden schrieb themacanderson:

I have not flown on this aircraft in real life

They are looking for people who have experience in the cockpit of the Twin Otter. Passengers themselves are also uninteresting, since the sound changes a lot.

The propellers are flush with the cockpit - unlike most twin engine airplanes.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb themacanderson:

btw, I was the one who originally posted this link: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ftsim-twin-otter-sounds-addon/495818

I have never seen this link. As do most who use the mod, I guess.