Feature request for the twin otter, add a dedicated DME display unit

when using vor in the twin otter, the only way to read the distance is within the display of the garmin gps,

this is not very readable (very small letters to read)

A dedicated DME showing freg. distance and speed, as is common in many other planes  would be most welcome

there is plenty of space on the flight instrument panel  for this .

As far as I remember the the twin otter extended for fsx has  a dme. However it is several since I fly in fsx

if the fsx twin otter was mimicing some plane that exists or  existed the msfs twin otter coild do that too.

If it’s any comfort, even in real life aircraft that are IFR-rated, we’d use the GPS unit (in ours, we’d use the second GNS430) for faking DME for all intents and purposes. It’s not pretty (and could get us in trouble if there was a legitimate GNSS outage), but for all intents and purposes it’s normal IRL to see operators using GPS distance instead of DME, especially since it tends to be more reliable the the actual DME station.

In fact, I do recall seeing somewhere in the Canada Air Pilot publications that GPS distance is considered an acceptable replacement to DME by Transport Canada. I’d have to dig through the CAP GEN pages for it, though.

EDIT: Found it in Canada’s enroute section of the AIP:

Please login to display this image.

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2022 at 6:08 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

I believe this has been discussed before. but at that time we could find almost no actual aircraft that had that combination.

I fly 4 different Twin Otters with standalone DME units in them I can share a picture of them if you’d like.

Edit: This is actually one of them, the DME is place behind the Yoke under the terrain display along with 2 ADFs

Please login to display this image.