Aerosoft EDDB EDDH EDDM .bgl / gsx.ini GSX PRO

cyrax87

Hi,

unfortunately I am one of the dumb ones who purchased aforementioned Airports through the MSFS Marketplace not knowning about the differences to the true standalone airports.

Now with the release of GSX PRO it becomes clear that the encrypted .bgl files create big issues with GSX PRO and its usability.

The apron positions especially in Hamburg are practically unusable.

Is there any way that the developer supplies the bgl unencrypted or GSX positon .ini files to those who made the same mistake that I made?

An update via the marketplace will probably take until next year...

Thanks in advance.

• Deputy Sheriffs

The files are sent to Microsoft as they are and they are encrypted by Microsoft not Aerosoft. And Aerosoft has no control over the encrypted files. Maybe you can ask FSDT, how they deal with airport add-ons which have been bought via the marketplace and therefore are being encrypted.

They said that we should ask for the bgl. files because there is no other way around.

I cannot find a way to get in direct touch with Simwings about it.

Edit: I am very welll aware about who encryts the files and who doesn't. I did not accuse Aerosoft of anything.

• Deputy Sheriffs
5 minutes ago, cyrax87 said:

They said that we should ask for the bgl. files because there is no other way around.

Do you have a link to that statement?

They have stated it in the releasestream and there is an entire section in the GSX PRO manual concerning the topic.

I have made a screentshot of the paragraph.

Please login to display this image.

• Aerosoft

I will get an 'official' statement on that, but we sell partly on the Marketplace BECAUSE is it is encrypted and the copyright holders depend on that. Another issue is that we do not get customer data from the marketplace, we just get the money.  So the owner will have to proof to us they bought it and we would have to all manually check all that.  

Umberto's statement that there are no copyright issues is not correct however. They ARE copyrighted files somebody spend a long to on creating them. 

I will know more early next week. 

• Thanks 2

I think the next section in the manual is also interesting. There may be a way to access the data of encrypted airports in the near future. As much as I understand the wish for encryption / copyright protection, these encrypted files make problems in more ways than just with GSX. Even more as people who DID pay for the airport have the problem. People 'who didn't' don't have it.

I decided to not buy my stuff from marketplace anymore some time ago. Mainly because of the bad update situation. But this is also a reason.

• Like 1

Thats my point.

I understand that it is an easy way to generate turnover there but I was not ware that I buy a differently structured product for the same €...

The update policy is pretty bad too.

The stands in GSX are not the only problem with EDDH. Since the elevation changes have been implemented in one of the recent MSFS updates you step down onto RWY33 when lining up because the latest version of the Airport has not been distributed yet.

That is pretty annoying and had i known about any of the potential implications I surely would not have bought anything on the MSFS Marketplace for sure!

BTT: I hope that Aerosoft will find a solution for this! It is just annoying.

• Deputy Sheriffs

TBH, more then annoying is that FSDT doesnt mention any of those problems with marketplace add-ons on their product page. You only get aware of them after buying this product and this is an absolute No-Go.

And not only Aerosoft products are affected, but all add-ons sold via marketplace and there are many add-ons you can only buy there and not directly from the dev.

But lets see what Aerosoft offer next week to solve problems caused by others.

• Aerosoft
5 hours ago, cyrax87 said:

BTT: I hope that Aerosoft will find a solution for this! It is just annoying.

Keep  in mind that the only option suggested by Umberto at this moment is that developers and/or publishers make a copyrighted file public.  I have asked Umberto to remove the suggestion this is not a copyright issue from the manual and he agreed with that. Cause no matter what happens it simply IS a copyright issue. 

Early next week the product managers of the scenery products will discuss things with the developers and then we'll know more. If anybody knows of any developer/publisher who already shared the needed files I would be happy to know.

As far as the documentation goes you can also create GSX specific .ini files that soley contain the positions and all the parameters needed concerning the parking positions.

That ini file is created as soon as you enter the GSX editor in game. By that the community can adapt and create files for airports that are a little off.

What I do not know is if that file contains information off ALL positions as soon as you enter edit mode, or only the one that you are actually on!

Maybe Umberto can tell.

By that you could easily provide a non .bgl File as a solution for those who have the issue!

Just an idea though.

• Aerosoft
2 hours ago, cyrax87 said:

By that you could easily provide a non .bgl File as a solution for those who have the issue!

Indeed.  But the contents of that file would still contain many weeks of work from the developers and would basically make that work 'freeware'. If it is in XML or BGL makes no difference in that aspect. And to make a file like that public domain needs the agreement of everybody involved.  While Umberto states this will not be copyright issue, it simply is. No matter how you look at this, those files (and the data contained) are copyrighted. By law, not because I want them to be. As publisher we are getting paid to protect them.

Most of the time Aerosoft simply does not have the source files so stating we could easily provide a non ,bgl file is simply incorrect.  For almost all scenery products we are not the developer but the publisher. 

-----------

I just send Umberto a message where I explain why I ask he changes the manual.  In there he states that sharing the needed files would not cause a copyright issue while as developer he knows it simply is a copyrighted file. I also asked him why he stated the DLC works for all airports while he knew it simply does not work for airports bought on the marketplace. I got unhappy customers who asked for the files they need and tell me 'it is not a copyright issue' when I tell them I simply can't send them the files right now. 

That is why I simply asked Umberto to write a very simple post on his forum where he explains the facts. If our customers get upset we can forward them to that post. I  am sure in that post Umberto will explain these files are copyrighted and that his manual was simply not correct. 

That's all we ask.  And personally.. I like the product. I recommend it when you are willing to understand it has loose ends. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I completely undestand the situation why you cant share the .bgl without everyones permission. Will the problem be completely solved when for example owning EDDB via your store rather than the Marketplace or does than need some adapting as well? Another question would be about the API in SU10. Is this really going to solve that or is this just an attempt to calm us costumers down for the time beeing? Do you possibly have insides as 3rd Party producers?

I would do that if their registration to the Forum wouldn`t take that long. I am already waiting 3 weeks for the verification. Regarding encryption could you please tell me if these needed BGL Files are also encrypted in the non Marketplace Version. This would answer my first question?

Thanks in advance

• Aerosoft
13 hours ago, mopperle said:

Only files of add-ons bought via the marketplace are being encrypted by Microsoft.

Indeed, the files sold via out store are not encrypted and will cause no problems for GSX. We have no idea if SU10 will change this behavior, perhaps FSDT can answer that,

vor 23 Minuten schrieb Mathijs Kok:

Indeed, the files sold via out store are not encrypted and will cause no problems for GSX. We have no idea if SU10 will change this behavior, perhaps FSDT can answer that,

Thanks for the answer. Getting a refund from Microsoft for a Marketplace Scenery and than purchasing it via your store is not possible, i guess? So it seems like the best thing is to wait if either SU10 or FSDT comes up with a solution.

Also here: https://www.flightsimulator.com/august-18th-2022-development-update/

under SDK Update > SIM Update 10:
"NavData & Airport Data Reading API for SimConnect and WASM."

• Like 1

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, Lukas3434 said:

Thanks for the answer. Getting a refund from Microsoft for a Marketplace Scenery and than purchasing it via your store is not possible, i guess? So it seems like the best thing is to wait if either SU10 or FSDT comes up with a solution.

We gladly sell it to you, but we have no control over refunds at the Marketplace. 

• Aerosoft

At this moment we are not planning to make these files available.  We can simply not see who bought our products on the marketplace and these are simply copyrighted files that contain weeks of work. As publisher we are simply not allowed to share the files created by the developers.  At this moment we do not have their permission.

It is unfortunate that a product requires the sharing of copyrighted files to work. It would have been a lot nicer if Umberto would have spoken to us before suggesting sharing these files would not be an issue.  Now we look like the asshats. 

• Upvote 2