VOR DME approach to DABS

Alexander Averyanov

Hi, I was flying to DABS today and chose VORDME 12 for approach. 

When I selected it in FMS, I got the result without the arch. I wanted to know if it is possible to somehow configure FMS to get an arch. And if not, and the approach must be carried out manually, then how to do it correctly using the CRJ systems. Thank you very much.

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

On 8/7/2022 at 10:32 AM, Alexander Averyanov said:

Hi, I was flying to DABS today and chose VORDME 12 for approach. 

When I selected it in FMS, I got the result without the arch. I wanted to know if it is possible to somehow configure FMS to get an arch. And if not, and the approach must be carried out manually, then how to do it correctly using the CRJ systems. Thank you very much.

I'd like to know the CRJ-specific steps to flying that approach without the FMS, too - presumably you still want approach mode armed? if I ever knew the entire list of things it does, I have forgotten :S

Not something I've done by hand in the CRJ yet (  plenty in other aircraft,) but essentially to DIY it, tune the VOR up on the radio page, twiddle the CRS knob until it's set to 283, and then set the nav source to LOC1 as you overfly the VOR ( I'd probably have it in heading hold as you do that, put it in NAV once you're past ), it should start flying down the 283 radial so you can start sorting your altitude out. At 12m on the DME, put it back in heading,& start turning right, set 121 via the CRS knob & when the aircraft is somewhat in the right direction, put it back in NAV & it should start tracking the 121 radial. Keep an eye on the DME & make sure your altitude is in bounds, and keep an eye out for the runway, at that point it's like flying an ILS approach with the glideslope out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Richard Dastardly said:

I'd like to know the CRJ-specific steps to flying that approach without the FMS, too - presumably you still want approach mode armed? if I ever knew the entire list of things it does, I have forgotten :S

Not something I've done by hand in the CRJ yet (  plenty in other aircraft,) but essentially to DIY it, tune the VOR up on the radio page, twiddle the CRS knob until it's set to 283, and then set the nav source to LOC1 as you overfly the VOR ( I'd probably have it in heading hold as you do that, put it in NAV once you're past ), it should start flying down the 283 radial so you can start sorting your altitude out. At 12m on the DME, put it back in heading,& start turning right, set 121 via the CRS knob & when the aircraft is somewhat in the right direction, put it back in NAV & it should start tracking the 121 radial. Keep an eye on the DME & make sure your altitude is in bounds, and keep an eye out for the runway, at that point it's like flying an ILS approach with the glideslope out.

If this is a plain VOR approach (I don't have this specific plate available), then you'd only want NAV mode. Approach mode is prohibited for VOR approaches. Without lateral guidance from the FMS, how you explained it is how I'd choose to do it followed by a CANPA descent at 5 DME.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Richard Dastardly said:

Thank you very much for the explanation! Going to try it this way

9 hours ago, Alexander Averyanov said:

Thank you very much for the explanation! Going to try it this way

It's worth practicing radio nav in a GA aircraft ( or at least a small one with simple nav gear ) to get a good feel of it - quite powerful & simple & actually I prefer it when there's an option, unfortunately VORs are disappearing at a rapid pace ( although you can use ILS localizers too, they're just not as powerful  ). There are still non-RNAV STAR/SIDs you can fly with just radio gear to some rather large airports. With either a VOR+DME, or two VORs ( or even two NDBs ) you know where you are.

You will need a map during the flight, though. That's one reason I like it, the entire flight is involving, not just banging in the AP & watching your altitude.

• Upvote 1