FMS Runway Length Filter CRJ 700

Len Hjalmarson

I don't know if the actual CRJ 700 has this option, but PMDG allow it in their aircraft. In short the CRJ 700 has a present runway filter limit of 4000 feet. If you attempt to load a flight plant to a shorter runway it won't allow the flightplan to enter. I just installed the beautiful and very handy airport CYTZ Toronto City by FSimStudios. The main runway is 3900 feet and I have been using this airport a lot. However, I can't currently load a plan to or from it in the CRJ 700. Please consider giving us a workaround or the abillity to toggle the runway filter to off. I kno9w this request has come up in the past (last year) . I currently own 7 or 8 Aerosoft products and enjoy the quality. Thanks!

• Deputy Sheriffs

I believe the limit is 4.500 feet. As noted in the linked post below, operating out of an airport with less than that isn't realistic. For that reason, I doubt this will change. That said, since it's a sim, just fly in or out of there anyway. SIDS/STARS/approaches can all simply be set up and flown without the FMS to help. Just like real life.

Edit: LOL, Mathijs beat me to it.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Let's stay on the real target please and let the "buried" sub-sub-sub topic go. Joe changed it to "located" and that's responsive to the OP's question, so I hid all the other stuff to keep focus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2022 at 2:44 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

That is how the real CRJ works.  If you are sure you can land there without violating rules and regulations, just land there! 

It's not that simple. I'm trying to fly from KCAK to CYTZ but I can't even put it as a destination while sitting at the gate. So what am I supposed to do about the autopilot not having a destination to navigate to? I can't just fly there if the autopilot doesn't know where "there" is.

30 minutes ago, scottstoll2017 said:

It's not that simple. I'm trying to fly from KCAK to CYTZ but I can't even put it as a destination while sitting at the gate. So what am I supposed to do about the autopilot not having a destination to navigate to? I can't just fly there if the autopilot doesn't know where "there" is.

Hi Scottstoll2017,

I had some problems with numerous airports not recognized in the FMS having not a minimum 5000 feet runway length allowed to CRJ. Impossible to include them in a flight plan. 

I have solve these problems as follow:

In the Community folder, go to file: Aerosoft-crj / Navdata and open file airports.txt ( with clipboard ) and look for CYTZ you will see:

A,CYTZ,TORONTO/B BISHOP TOR,43.62739,-79.39620,252,18000,18000,3900,0

the before last number 3900 is the runway length. Change to 5000, register, close the file and that's it !... You take risks for landing but it is a game !

Of course, save an original copy of the file before modifications.

Have a good flight !

Jean-Pierre

29 minutes ago, nieto said:

Hi Scottstoll2017,

I had some problems with numerous airports not recognized in the FMS having not a minimum 5000 feet runway length allowed to CRJ. Impossible to include them in a flight plan. 

I have solve these problems as follow:

In the Community folder, go to file: Aerosoft-crj / Navdata and open file airports.txt ( with clipboard ) and look for CYTZ you will see:

A,CYTZ,TORONTO/B BISHOP TOR,43.62739,-79.39620,252,18000,18000,3900,0

the before last number 3900 is the runway length. Change to 5000, register, close the file and that's it !... You take risks for landing but it is a game !

Of course, save an original copy of the file before modifications.

Have a good flight !

Jean-Pierre

Sorry, the minimum runway length allowed to CRJ is 4500 feet instead of 5000 I have mentioned. Change accordingly !

• Aerosoft
2 hours ago, scottstoll2017 said:

I can't just fly there if the autopilot doesn't know where "there" is.

Well pilots sure can. And if you take simulating flying seriously it does pay to learn to fly a route manually.

But the simple fact is that this is how the real aircraft does it.

If it’s an airline-configurable option of the database, then I guess it would make sense to have it as an option to adjust the length filter in the EFB. I’m gonna take Aerosoft’s word for it that it’s not configurable, and all databases have the same filter regardless of operator or software revision.

If I was to do it that way IRL for some reason, I’d try setting up the flightplan with no destination airport, and have the arrival inserted manually fix by fix, then manually fly the remainder of the route once I get to the termination point of the arrival. If a destination airport is non-negotiable for some reason, I’d pick a nearby airport (e.g., CYHM) and deviate manually last second.

(of course, assuming it’s even safe to land there, considering the accelerate-stop distance likely exceeds the length of the main runway at CYTZ, and considering that you somehow even got approval to land there in the first place as a commercial operator flying a turbojet)

On 8/5/2022 at 4:12 PM, Joe Markowski said:

I have not tried it, but located on page 3 of the Defaults sub format is an option for the runway length filter.  It's mentioned in the FMS manual, volume 6.

This was posted above in this very topic...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Joe Markowski said:

This was posted above in this very topic...

I don’t envy you, I go through this every day at work where I spell things out thoroughly yet somehow someone will ask about it anyways.

I’m a dumb mfer 🙃

• Like 1

• Deputy Sheriffs
11 hours ago, Joe Markowski said:

@Herman @Mathijs Kok

It might be worthwhile to add a note about the runway length filter to the pinned topic here: 

Good thought, Joe, but I couldn't get it to work on my install. Hopefully you or someone else got it to.

I changed the value to 3800', then tried using the FMS for flight planning from KORD to CYTZ (using Navigraph and then stock nav data). I'd always get a "Not in database" when entering CYTZ. This on the CRJ 700, as I don't have the others installed, though I doubt things would be different. Based on the description on page 6-1-17 of Volume 6 (the FMS manual) that you found, I'm guessing the legend on the FMS that reads "NEAREST APTS MIN RWY" means changes in that field affect which airports show up when choosing to display airports on the nav display (page 6-1-63 in volume 6). But then only a guess.

Anyone able to get CYTZ to be accepted for a departure/arrival/alternate airport solely by changing the value in "NEAREST ARPTS MIN RWY" instead of tweaking the airport entry as in nieto's (Jean-Pierre's) post of 9/9?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Anyone able to get CYTZ to be accepted for a departure/arrival/alternate airport solely by changing the value in "NEAREST ARPTS MIN RWY" instead of tweaking the airport entry as in nieto's (Jean-Pierre's) post of 9/9? Will leave this open for another week, then close it if no further replies.

• 3 months later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic

• Herman locked this topic