Thoughts on the current state of the CRJ

Dopster198

I just wanted to express some words of appreciation for the CRJ and encouragement for the team.

I was watching a stream by BritishAvgeek just now, and I was reminded how much I really like the CRJ - it’s really well done overall, and very enjoyable to fly. Yes, there are a few niggles, we all know them, and I absolutely hope the team make good on their statements about long-term plans they have for this product.

Regardless, I think it’s a good plane, and just so short of greatness. I really hope they keep beavering away at it.

There’s still no other comparable plane in this segment, it fills a nice spot in my hangar, right between all my GA planes and the 737s and A320s

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Thanks! No matter what some comments on this forum suggest, this product still sell incredibly well and nothing suggest that to slacken. Commercially this was a jackpot and remains a jackpot.

The issue we are facing at this moment is that we have two very different kinds of customers.

• First of all the old P3D customers, these are demanding seriously complex aircraft. That is simply not always easy to deliver in MSFS. Even simple 'fixes' can have massive impact on other bits of code and that is before we even discuss MSFS Cloud and MSFS on Xbox. You will find their comments on this forum.
  • The second (larger) group of customers is less demanding and actually finds the complexity the product offers seriously demanding. The amount of support they need to use the basic functions ("it does not work like the default 737") is extremely costly. These customers hardly ever use forums but use our ticket system. That is why forum comments are almost never give a correct idea about a product. At least 75% of their questions are answered in the manual.

Now, of course, we like to sort out the issue we have. Some are easy, we just need to find the time, some are complex and some depend on changes in the sim. The copy I have on my disk that depends on SU10 is not what you see and even when SU10 is released it will need serious time to get ready for release. This is not FSX that had one (two?) updates. This is a moving target where a complex add-on like this one always runs major risks of failing with an update. If you recall we had that three times. So we are following the sim, not leading. 

The idea that we stopped supporting this product is just silly. Just look at the updates we did and compare it to other products. Compare our EFB to that in the PMDG 737. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Am 27.7.2022 um 21:56 schrieb Mathijs Kok:

Thanks! No matter what some comments on this forum suggest, this product still sell incredibly well and nothing suggest that to slacken. Commercially this was a jackpot and remains a jackpot.

The issue we are facing at this moment is that we have two very different kinds of customers.

• First of all the old P3D customers, these are demanding seriously complex aircraft. That is simply not always easy to deliver in MSFS. Even simple 'fixes' can have massive impact on other bits of code and that is before we even discuss MSFS Cloud and MSFS on Xbox. You will find their comments on this forum.
  • The second (larger) group of customers is less demanding and actually finds the complexity the product offers seriously demanding. The amount of support they need to use the basic functions ("it does not work like the default 737") is extremely costly. These customers hardly ever use forums but use our ticket system. That is why forum comments are almost never give a correct idea about a product. At least 75% of their questions are answered in the manual.

Now, of course, we like to sort out the issue we have. Some are easy, we just need to find the time, some are complex and some depend on changes in the sim. The copy I have on my disk that depends on SU10 is not what you see and even when SU10 is released it will need serious time to get ready for release. This is not FSX that had one (two?) updates. This is a moving target where a complex add-on like this one always runs major risks of failing with an update. If you recall we had that three times. So we are following the sim, not leading. 

The idea that we stopped supporting this product is just silly. Just look at the updates we did and compare it to other products. Compare our EFB to that in the PMDG 737. 

So Mr. Mathijs Kok

i am really exited about the CRJ ? SU10 version you are looking at ...
Feel free to tell us about, what to expect from this update. PLS.

Will it fix the issues with LNAV ?

Will it fix the sound issues reported ?

Will it fix the PITCH issues reported ?

Will it fix the wobbling around on the takeoff run in crosswind situations. (No, i don't fly with keyboard or XBOX controller -  ;-))

Will it fix FMC issues when editing the FPL ? (SID/STAR, Direct to's, Inserts)

My only quotes for today:

"and even when SU10 is released it will need serious time to get ready for release"

and

"So we are following the sim, not leading"

What means serious time ?

One year has passed since release of this "study level" product and we are still facing issues present from day one. Reported here and probaply on the Ticket system, many times (from serious simmers and real world CRJ pilots, see Group One above (+ X-Plane guys, not to forget !)

"Following the Sim ..."

Just to name a few other studios, Leonardo, JustFlight, Flysimware, Simworks Studio, Milviz, PMDG, HyperPerformance Group, PMS, WorkingTitle, they seem to be able to do a much! better job.

Why this post ?

Well, a bit of reaction to this thread

Oliver Kohl, Customer 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JetNoise said:

So Mr. Mathijs Kok

i am really exited about the CRJ ? SU10 version you are looking at ...
Feel free to tell us about, what to expect from this update. PLS.

Will it fix the issues with LNAV ?

Will it fix the sound issues reported ?

Will it fix the PITCH issues reported ?

Will it fix the wobbling around on the takeoff run in crosswind situations. (No, i don't fly with keyboard or XBOX controller -  ;-))

Will it fix FMC issues when editing the FPL ? (SID/STAR, Direct to's, Inserts)

My only quotes for today:

"and even when SU10 is released it will need serious time to get ready for release"

and

"So we are following the sim, not leading"

What means serious time ?

One year has passed since release of this "study level" product and we are still facing issues present from day one. Reported here and probaply on the Ticket system, many times (from serious simmers and real world CRJ pilots, see Group One above (+ X-Plane guys, not to forget !)

"Following the Sim ..."

Just to name a few other studios, Leonardo, JustFlight, Flysimware, Simworks Studio, Milviz, PMDG, HyperPerformance Group, PMS, WorkingTitle, they seem to be able to do a much! better job.

Why this post ?

Well, a bit of reaction to this thread

Oliver Kohl, Customer 

Yeah, so nice thread highjack. If you read the original topic, this is expressly not one of *those* threads again, there’s plenty of them already.

If this is a reaction to another thread, you should’ve put it there.

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Dopster198:

Yeah, so nice thread highjack. If you read the original topic, this is expressly not one of *those* threads again, there’s plenty of them already.

If this is a reaction to another thread, you should’ve put it there.

Accepted, but i put it here for a (my) good reason ...
Not everbody is happy with the product, so "lucky you"  (no offense !)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetNoise said:

Not everbody is happy with the product, so "lucky you"  (no offense !)

I’m happy with the product: I think it’s a good plane at its core. But it’s not perfect, and it’s not objectively great, *yet*.

It has problems, some of them you listed, and I was merely expressing my wishes and hopes that the team keep at it, to solve those issues, and turn this into a *great* plane.

As to Mathijs’ comments: I fall into the middle camp - I don’t necessarily need hardcore 100% study level (and that was never promised) but I do want the stuff that *is* there to work reliably and correctly. 

I guess I’m an 80% study level guy. 😉

• Like 4

On 7/29/2022 at 6:36 AM, JetNoise said:

"Following the Sim ..."

While I'm not denying there's problems with the CRJ - some of which I've reported in some depth, which has hopefully been a little useful - I'd be very careful putting any of the above on a pedestal.  I own products from probably half of those & I can name issues with *all* of them - JF for one have said they're not going to bother updating aerodynamics while the sim is in flux, so you have aircraft from SU5 still. I'm not going to start on PMDG, or problems with WT's autopilot or some of the other's autopilots too - honestly the CRJ is somewhere in the middle, not at the bottom as you seem to imply - or this issue, or that issue. Stop with the hyperbole, it doesn't help anyone & people will use it to get threads locked.

You obviously a) don't know much about software development, and b) haven't looked at the comically bad documentation Asobo are providing with the current SDK if you think devs should somehow get ahead of the sim. Given the current state of it I'm glad we actually have half decent aircraft at all.

• Upvote 6