KTNP - SU10 - Seen as water airport. Can’t use without a floatplane

Arty58

• Arty58 changed the title to KTNP - SU10 - Seen as water airport. Can’t use without a floatplane

Just to confirm the OP's issue, KTNP is seen as a "Water" airport in SU10 Beta for me too. As a workaround to start cold and dark with a wheeled aircraft I just load a float plane first, then switch (via dev mode) to my chosen wheeled aircraft. Hopefully it's an easy fix that won't alter the "non-beta" user's experience. It'd be nice not to have to do this every time.

BTW, I love the rendering of this field. It's very rich in detail and emulates the the real world airport very well.  The animated people really bring it to life. It's one of my new favorites. Nice work!

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing I noticed... When you first boot the sim, and then just zoom the world map down to the airport location, NOTHING shows it's there, no runways, parking spots, simply nothing. But if you do an ICAO search in the search bar for KTNP, the result comes up, and when you choose it it zooms into the airport and the runway and parking assets then pop in (but as mentioned above a "water" airport only). Strange.

It's been a few weeks now since the issue was reported. Didn't see an update yet in the Aerosoft app though. Even though the issue is only with the WU10 Beta I'd think the developer would want those of us on the Beta to confirm WU10 compatibility for the fix before it goes live.

Any news from the developer?

With all due respect Mathijs, Asobo cannot be entirely to blame…

Granted, 29 Palms rendering of KTNP worked fine in SU9 but shows as a “Water Airport” in SU10 Beta, so something in Asobo’s Beta code changed and is unarguably “partially” to blame.

HOWEVER…

In SU10 Beta, all of the DOZENS OF OTHER PAYWARE and HUNDREDS OF OTHER FREEWARE airports I currently have installed render PERFECTLY FINE IN SU10 BETA… ALL OF THEM. And FYI, so does RMStudios Payware version of KTNP (available in the MSFS Marketplace). And so does Asobo’s default version.  So it’s definitely not some sort of local “Asobo landclass” glitch of some kind. Clearly, something in the 29 Palms code is askew and has triggered MSFS to perceive it as a water airport. Clear and simple.

And FYI, I’ve also tested it by clearing my community folder of all other addons except KTNP but the issue persisted, so it’s not a community folder addon conflict.

Lastly, the same thing happened recently (land to water runway) after an SU update with a freeware airport I’d installed, and after informing the developer, he found and fixed the issue within hours. I’ve PM’d him to ask what that particular finding was and if he gets back to me with something definitive, I’ll post it here and to 29 Palms.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 4:04 AM, EdTruthan said:

With all due respect Mathijs, Asobo cannot be entirely to blame…

Granted, 29 Palms rendering of KTNP worked fine in SU9 but shows as a “Water Airport” in SU10 Beta, so something in Asobo’s Beta code changed and is unarguably “partially” to blame.

HOWEVER…

In SU10 Beta, all of the DOZENS OF OTHER PAYWARE and HUNDREDS OF OTHER FREEWARE airports I currently have installed render PERFECTLY FINE IN SU10 BETA… ALL OF THEM. And FYI, so does RMStudios Payware version of KTNP (available in the MSFS Marketplace). And so does Asobo’s default version.  So it’s definitely not some sort of local “Asobo landclass” glitch of some kind. Clearly, something in the 29 Palms code is askew and has triggered MSFS to perceive it as a water airport. Clear and simple.

And FYI, I’ve also tested it by clearing my community folder of all other addons except KTNP but the issue persisted, so it’s not a community folder addon conflict.

Lastly, the same thing happened recently (land to water runway) after an SU update with a freeware airport I’d installed, and after informing the developer, he found and fixed the issue within hours. I’ve PM’d him to ask what that particular finding was and if he gets back to me with something definitive, I’ll post it here and to 29 Palms.

Good day, 

Since I 'm the developer of this scenery I would like to mention the following:

First of all my apologies for the delayed answer. 

The issue of the "water airport" was present to the MSFS before the SU9 update during the development of the project. It disappeared without editing the project by itself after SU9. It is probably something that affects it again to the SU10 beta. I 'm looking to the build package to "discover" what this could be with no luck yet.

It could have been helpful @EdTruthan if you could "guide" me to the freeware developer that solved the problem to chat with him for a potential solution. 

I will keep trying till then for a solution myself. 

Regards,  

Emmanuel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for the reply. The freeware scenery I spoke about was Castle Lakes airstrip aka CD32 in Colorado ( https://flightsim.to/file/12066/castle-lakes-airstrip-colorado-usa-cd32 ) I PM’d the developer (“Photosbykev”) and asked how he resolved the issue, which also had been triggered by a Sim update some months ago. Here was his reply:

“The issue with CD32 was a level change between sim updates and water appearing where water shouldn't so I raised the runway level a touch and used a polygon to exclude the water. If there is water on the runway it will show as a water runway but a simple fix tbh.” - Kev

To be sure I can see how this could have easily happened at Castle Lakes because the CD32 airstrip has lakes tightly packed on either side if it, which KTNP apparently does not. It’s pretty dry out there.

Nonetheless, based on Photosbykev’s reply I tried adding a water exclusion around the entirety of KTNP (and placing it alphabetically both BEFORE and AFTER the KTNP scenery) but it still showed as a water airport. I didn’t spend a lot of time refining my experimentations though. Perhaps SU10 Beta introduced a small unnoticed (or completely invisible?) “pond” somewhere close to one of the runways?

There’s a brief post about this and several other airports that have the same issue on MSFS forum at https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/burning-bleu-designs-kmvy-aerosoft-ktnp-aerosoft-ldza-show-as-seaports/530961 but so far no solution. Perhaps there’s a common thread, which if fixed at one of these other “water airfields”, will illuminate the core issue at the others? I’ve been watching for threads that may contain an answer and will share anything I find right here.

Most curious to me is why, when just zooming in on the global map, it doesn’t show any airport there at all unless you do a specific ICAO search for “KTNP”? Perhaps that holds a clue to the "water runway" issue? 

Whatever the case, I sincerely hope an answer can be found. Because I really LOVE what you’ve done with airport. It’s a great location to practice touch-and-goes, test a new aircraft, or just enjoy a thunderstorm as it sails across the Mohave Desert. I look forward to many flights in and out of this location.

P.S. Oh, and I just remembered... when CD32 was showing as a water runway before Kev fixed it, it too also didn't show on the map at all unless a "CD32" ICAO search was made. Then it appeared, but as a "water runway". Seems to be consistent with this issue. Would Kev's "fix" then be too? Hmm. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Hi all, 

It seems that I managed to find a solution for the water airport "bug". The correction does not affect the SU9 version which will still be working fine. Due to the fact that the correction is related with some fine tuning to default values, it will probably be working fine with the SU10 version when officially published. 

The correction package will be soon available for download.

Regards, 

Emmanuel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1