CRJ700 does not follow procedure turns??

Was doing a flight from KRNO to KJAC everything went smoothly up until the arrival into KJAC. Programmed the FMC for ILS 19Y. FMS already programmed the required waypoints including a procedure turn. Upon arriving on the procedure turn the AP didnt follow it. The AP just bobbed and weaved and couldnt follow the correct Procedure turn. I have to manually take the plane out of NAV and VNAV and select heading mode to adjust the plane on the correct flight path. Tried enabling AP to see if it would follow the procedure turn and did not.  Wanted to know if this is a planned feature or can the CRJ follow Procedure turns???

It has in the past not been great at approaches, but I can't see anything in that particular one that should bother it. Pretty much every ILS approach into a smaller airport in the UK involves overflying a NDB, a specified outbound track and then a  >180 deg turn to intercept & the current version of the CRJ seems to manage ok ( which is more than a fair number of other MSFS aircraft manage... ). I'll try this one when I have some time - what sort of weight?

One more thing, which transition did you program?

There is something related to high altitude airports I've forgotten about, too.

Edit: not sure how well this approach is programmed - using current Navigraph airac & JAC transition.

Please login to display this image.

Certainly flew something like the right shape ( the wrong way round, though ), just considerably earlier than I was expecting so I never intercepted GS. There was no procedural turn in the FMS, though.

• Like 1

Wow thats funny wonder why it the FMS didnt program it hmmm?. So when i programmed the approach into the FMS for ILS 19 Y the FMS automatically programmed the procedure turn before quirt.... weird. Ill re-fly it. Thanks for trying it out though. 

17 hours ago, Jared Wilson said:

Wow thats funny wonder why it the FMS didnt program it hmmm?. So when i programmed the approach into the FMS for ILS 19 Y the FMS automatically programmed the procedure turn before quirt.... weird. Ill re-fly it. Thanks for trying it out though. 

I'm using current Navigraph AIRAC data. It isn't necessarily the CRJ's fault - the WT G1000NX doesn't draw the turn, nor does the MSFS world map - and a G1000NX aircraft won't fly the full approach either. Might be a navdata issue.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Easy to check of course, just use the nav database we delivered. 

Easier said than done, apparently - navigraph's FMS manager said it removed data, but the CRJ700 loaded in with the systems crashed ( and incidentally the ATC working fine! ). Had to reinstall and once again wished I'd not used the marketplace...

How current is the supplied navdata, out of interest? I have bumped into enough data issues that I'd at least like to try your LIDO solution, but the lack of LNM integration ( and I guess simbrief wouldn't use up to date data either ) is a bit too awkward 😕 neither is your fault, of course.

Anyway, reinstalled both CRJs & removed all mods.

Flightplan in navigraph's plotter overlaid on the chart ( no I have no idea why they don't match either:

What the FMS ( using default CRJ navdata ) gave me:

And here's the track. I can confirm the CRJ does indeed meander back & forwards without attempting the procedural turn - when it *actually* turned back was when I gave up & put it on HDG. ( Incidentally that terrain plays havoc on the localiser..). The approach shown there is also from navigraph data, so don't read anything into that in particular.

So, if there's a navdata issue with Navigraph's approach there's something far worse with the default / LIDO ( presumably ) or the processing of it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...