Low Flying AI Aircraft

h3pilot

Yes, I have already read the pinned and locked thread. 

I see the statement, "Simple Traffic only makes the aircraft look different and changes nothing in how the aircraft behave or where they are seen.  Check the FAQ."

However, I've been doing a bit of testing and I am seeing a significant difference in the amount of AI traffic and its behavior depending on whether Simple Traffic is installed or not.

Default MSFS (Simple Traffic NOT installed).  No third party AI traffic programs installed.  MSFS Aircraft Traffic Type = AI Offline.  AI Aircraft Traffic Density = 100%.  

Started a flight at EGLL at 0800 29 June 2022, simulator time.

0800 (sim time) - Spawned at Ramp spot 702 in A320.  Did not start aircraft, just went to Drone Camera view to observe the airport.

0805 - I had not yet seen any AI aircraft taxiing on the airport or flying overhead.

Please login to view this video.

0810 - One AI airliner was taxiing to take off and at about the same time one AI airliner overflew the airport at perhaps 2,000 ft.

0812 - An AI C172 overflew the airport at very low altitude.  (Proof that low flying AI exists in MSFS default.)

0815 - I could see strobe lights from three aircraft 5-10 miles north of EGLL at relatively low level, but it was too far a way to say how low.

0816 - An A320 overflew the west end of the airport at very low altitude.  (More proof that low flying AI exists in MSFS default.)

0820 - Qantas flight was cleared for the ILS 27R.

0824 - A320 landed on 27L

0825 - Qantas executed a missed approach on 27R.

So in 25 minutes of testing, I saw one C712 and one A320 overfly EGLL at low altitude.

I then installed Simple Traffic.

I loaded the same 0800 flight at EGLL.  I did not change any MSFS setting.

0800 - Spawned Ramp spot 702.  Many more aircraft are present at the gates.  (They look good and have generally appropriate liveries.  Yay Simple Traffic! :) )

0802 - Multiple AI aircraft were taxiing to take off.

0805 - Airport was swarmed by low flying AI.  Some where double aircraft.  There were also multiple AI aircraft strobes visible to the NW at low level, some passed well north of the airport.

After the initial swarm of AI, the rate of aircraft overflying the airport slowed down a bit, but low flying aircraft continued to overfly the airport.

I uninstalled Simple Traffic and loaded the same flight.  Results were essentially identical to the first flight.

I then installed Simple Traffic again and saw the same increase in AI aircraft overall and also the large number of low flyers.

Again, no MSFS AI settings were changed and no third party AI traffic programs are installed.   

The only difference in the flights is whether Simple Traffic is installed or not. 

It certainly appears that something related to Simple Traffic is having an affect on AI aircraft in the sim. 

Whether directly caused by Simple Traffic or indirectly caused by something in MSFS changing because Simple Traffic is installed.

I really like the location appropriate liveries that Simple Traffic brings.  They generally look great! 

However, I really dislike the low level buzzing of airports.  Please try to figure out what is causing the issue so it can be fixed.

• Deputy Sheriffs

To quote from the product description:

Offline AI traffic routes and schedules are derived from over 30 million records of real-world ADS-B flight data enabling pre-Covid airline traffic levels globally within the sim.

That simply means adding aircraft flying fom A to B at a certain time. Routes and schedules do not include FL and speed. This and the aircraft model still comes from the sim. And thats the reason why you see more low flying aircraft or aircraft dancing on the ground.

• Aerosoft

Simple traffic simply does not contain any code, so it is simply impossible it could affect how the aircraft behave. How the aircraft behave is 100% controlled by the sim. The SDK does not offer any options to change that at this moment.

7 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Simple traffic simply does not contain any code, so it is simply impossible it could affect how the aircraft behave. How the aircraft behave is 100% controlled by the sim.

Thank you Mathijs, I appreciate your reply. 

I'm not a developer and have no knowledge about Simple Traffic's code, the MSFS SDK, or how MSFS generates AI traffic, so I don't mean to inaccurately accuse Simple Traffic of causing an increase in AI aircraft activity, including low flyers.  I'm only reporting what I see in the sim.

By selecting the same sim date/time/location and keeping the MSFS AI settings the same, I've tried to eliminate variables between flights.

In my video clips above, the only thing that is different, is whether Simple Traffic is installed or not.

The bottom line is that when Simple Traffic is installed I'm seeing significantly more AI aircraft activity than when it is not.

I don't know why or what is causing the change, only that it is happening and that it is repeatable for me.

Do you see the same increased AI activity (regardless of what is causing it) if you replicate my flights?  Or is it just me?

My intent isn't to be "mad" at Aerosoft about low flyers.  Low flyers obviously exist in default MSFS and are thus an Asobo issue. 

With Simple traffic installed, I suspect that I'm seeing more low flyers because I'm seeing more AI aircraft activity overall. 

I suspect that if Asobo fixed their low flyers, they would still be fixed with Simple traffic installed.

This still leaves the question of what is causing the significant increase in AI aircraft activity when Simple Traffic is installed?

• Deputy Sheriffs
13 hours ago, h3pilot said:

This still leaves the question of what is causing the significant increase in AI aircraft activity when Simple Traffic is installed?

You didnt read my answer above, did you?