CRJ still can't follow flight path

Radu Robu

I was hoping the CRJ update would fix this issue that has been happening since the release of the plane. But the plane cannot follow the flight path and keeps overshooting/undershooting the flight path after turns.

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

In the second image, Volanta didn't pick up the approach selected, but the CRJ struggled to follow the flight path.

EDIT: The plane also CANNOT follow the LOC and G/S when doing any kind of ILS approach.
This update has barely scratched the surface in terms of fixes needed to make the plane useful again. Aerosoft, where did it go so wrong? This plane used to be one of my favourites to fly, and now it just sits collecting dust because of the few but big issues that the plane has...

I just want to point out that this was the first flight, after the update, doing a clean install of the plane.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The update did not address this issue, which is why it isn't fixed.  They're still trying to reliably replicate it, so far it's been hit or miss.

The plane also follows the LOC and GS just fine for me.

• Upvote 2

Yup noticed this straight away. Why can other devs with products at a much lower price point nail this out the bag, yet here we are months after launch and it still cannot follow a flight plan. Damn last Aerosoft aircraft for me.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe Markowski said:

The update did not address this issue, which is why it isn't fixed.  They're still trying to reliably replicate it, so far it's been hit or miss.

The plane also follows the LOC and GS just fine for me.

Where did you buy the plane? Marketplace or Aerosoft Store?

• Aerosoft

Hi @Radu Robu,

can you supply the flown routing in order to replicate this? Additionally, what do you mean with "cannot follow LOC/GS"? I've flown various ILS approaches during testing and always captured mentioned modes.

• Upvote 1

I had a very bizarre error earlier where the FMS didn't display the first WP in the FPLN page fully ( it showed as DIRECT and then the boxes you get for an empty entry ), but did on the legs page - and it also didn't try to fly to the first WP either. No SID to complicate issues. I will try and replicate later.

On the plus side, some of the FMS work *has* improved the A/C's ability to follow ILS NDB teardrop-style approaches.

1 hour ago, Jonas S. said:

Hi @Radu Robu,

can you supply the flown routing in order to replicate this? Additionally, what do you mean with "cannot follow LOC/GS"? I've flown various ILS approaches during testing and always captured mentioned modes.

Route was EDTL > EKBI (ILZ-27-Z with UVINA transition.

But I have figured out something for you guys. The Marketplace version (which I own) of the CRJ does NOT follow LOC or GS (nav tuned in, perfect approach altitude, the plane doesn't lock onto the Localiser or follow the GS with ILS system).

I have acquired the files for the Aerosoft Store version of the CRJ from a friend, and used those files instead of the Marketplace version and flew the exact same approach (ILS-27-Z with UVINA) and low and behold, the plane followed the Localiser and the GS all the way down to the runway.

TL;DR - The marketplace version of the CRJ has a bug with the Appr mode of the AP where it just doesn't want to follow the LOC and GS when doing ANY kind of ILS approach.

17 minutes ago, Radu Robu said:

But I have figured out something for you guys. The Marketplace version (which I own) of the CRJ does NOT follow LOC or GS (nav tuned in, perfect approach altitude, the plane doesn't lock onto the Localiser or follow the GS with ILS system).

I have acquired the files for the Aerosoft Store version of the CRJ from a friend, and used those files instead of the Marketplace version and flew the exact same approach (ILS-27-Z with UVINA) and low and behold, the plane followed the Localiser and the GS all the way down to the runway.

TL;DR - The marketplace version of the CRJ has a bug with the Appr mode of the AP where it just doesn't want to follow the LOC and GS when doing ANY kind of ILS approach.

Are they using the same nav data?  If you've updated your marketplace install did you update the Aerosoft version you installed, etc.?

2 minutes ago, Joe Markowski said:

Are they using the same nav data?  If you've updated your marketplace install did you update the Aerosoft version you installed, etc.?

Ofc, I'm using Navigraph and the Navdata manager.
I updated the marketplace navdata as soon as I installed the 1.0.17.0 update and ILS didn't work today.

Then I uninstalled the marketplace version a barely 1h ago, and manually installed the Aerosoft Store version from my friend. Then I updated the navdata via the Navigraph manager and tried the same ILS approach, and ILS worked.

• Upvote 1

Am 26.6.2022 um 21:27 schrieb Radu Robu:

the CRJ cant handle the EKBI approaches and SIDs, indeed. I just flew to and from there and it was disatrous… overshooted the LOC by far on ILS Z 27 UVINA approach, had to bring it back manually. Also, the SID ALS6A is a problem. It doesnt follow the published airway AT ALL after the turn! It flies back over the airport and ends up somewhere else than it supposed to be… 

using Navigraph current AIRAC.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 6:55 PM, Sandro Vitalini said:

the CRJ cant handle the EKBI approaches and SIDs, indeed. I just flew to and from there and it was disatrous… overshooted the LOC by far on ILS Z 27 UVINA approach, had to bring it back manually. Also, the SID ALS6A is a problem. It doesnt follow the published airway AT ALL after the turn! It flies back over the airport and ends up somewhere else than it supposed to be… 

using Navigraph current AIRAC.

The real CRJ would have a difficult time intercepting this localizer (or any similar ILS with close to a 90 degree intercept) if you were leave the autopilot in LNAV and expect a “perfect turn” on the localizer at LOKSA on the leg from UVINA. That will not happen.

I do not fly the CRJ, but I do work on the avionics of real CRJs and am intimately familiar with the limitations of the Proline 4 autopilot. The real aircraft absolutely will overshoot the localizer when the intercept angle is close to 90 degrees - especially if there is any tailwind. The correct procedure with this type of approach would be to go to HDG mode prior to arriving at LOKSA and manually initiate the left turn onto the localizer course while monitoring the CDI needle deflection - returning to LNAV/APP mode once established.

The problem with the SID might well be a bug - I would have to load it and see what it does. The first waypoint is a mandatory fly-over waypoint which I suspect is the source of the problem.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

@JRBarrett I can tell you from flying the actual approaches into Billund from multiple sides, from UVINA it is not an issue. Even with a nav to nav transfer. Since the main source of navigation these days is GPS/GNSS, it flies very nice on LNAV mode and usually corrects for wind very well also (perhaps it is worse for non-GPS equipped older models). You may almost want to delay arming APPR mode until established on inbound track, because the LOC intercepting in green needle has been very poor since some point during the pandemic. It will roll out too early or late, go into the reduced gain mode for roll because of LOC capture, and then S-turn around the LOC for a bit. I am fairly certain there was some sort of logic change either shortly before or during the pandemic, as I had never seen such behaviour in the years before, but that's a story for another time.

Anyway, we fly STARs with 90 degree turns onto the final approach track and localiser daily, without overshooting much. So there may be a disconnect here between the theoretical side and the practical side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2